Losing action

Andy52086

Verified Member
So I've kinda been on a little bit of a winning streak lately. Making some lucky shots and beating a few people that I've played with for years. (I am definitely on the losing end). I've tried adjusting and it's just not good enough for them. They act like I don't exist anymore. I have pretty much run out of action at my local pool hall, but I am also a loyal person. I don't want to drive 30 mins further to hopefully get a game somewhere else. Should I start losing a little to these guys if I can get em on a table again? Or just beat my way out of that room and move on to the next? These were people I considered friends but doubting that very seriously now. Nobody likes to lose but no matter how many times I did over the years I always came back for more. Just looking for some advice.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
So I've kinda been on a little bit of a winning streak lately. Making some lucky shots and beating a few people that I've played with for years. (I am definitely on the losing end). I've tried adjusting and it's just not good enough for them. They act like I don't exist anymore. I have pretty much run out of action at my local pool hall, but I am also a loyal person. I don't want to drive 30 mins further to hopefully get a game somewhere else. Should I start losing a little to these guys if I can get em on a table again? Or just beat my way out of that room and move on to the next? These were people I considered friends but doubting that very seriously now. Nobody likes to lose but no matter how many times I did over the years I always came back for more. Just looking for some advice.
Sounds like you were the sucker and werent self aware. Now you are not the sucker and you are seeing the back side.
You need to find the new sucker or give up so much weight u become the sucker again. Congrats!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Welcome to the site Andy!

First, what do you want to do ultimately? Do you just want to play some one hole and have some action while you are doing it or are you looking to score something bigger?

if it's the prior, I would just adjust further with your buddies until it's a close match, especially if you are playing on the cheaper side. Change it up some and play some partners or Captain.

If it's the latter, well you may have to go elsewhere if all the local players wont play you any more.

What area are you from? Plenty of one hole players here on the site that may match up depending on your area (and skill level, lol).

Either way, good luck and stick around, there's lots to learn here at any skill level!

Andy52086

Verified Member
Welcome to the site Andy!

First, what do you want to do ultimately? Do you just want to play some one hole and have some action while you are doing it or are you looking to score something bigger?

if it's the prior, I would just adjust further with your buddies until it's a close match, especially if you are playing on the cheaper side. Change it up some and play some partners or Captain.

If it's the latter, well you may have to go elsewhere if all the local players wont play you any more.

What area are you from? Plenty of one hole players here on the site that may match up depending on your area (and skill level, lol).

Either way, good luck and stick around, there's lots to learn here at any skill level!

It was gambling amongst buddies who play all the time. We've learned each other's games over the years and try to always make it fair on both sides. We play up to $200 a game. So it's not cheap, at least for me. It's just funny that there isn't any room for talking anymore. I win 2 or 3 times in a row and they just write you off. I even brought up an adjustment myself and they said no. PRIDE! lol. I hate to lose friendships over a game but we always play for decent amounts and I've never been the one with the deeper pockets. Funny how the ones with money can't stand to lose.

Andy52086

Verified Member
Sounds like you were the sucker and werent self aware. Now you are not the sucker and you are seeing the back side.
You need to find the new sucker or give up so much weight u become the sucker again. Congrats!

I definitely was the sucker for years. Mainly because I liked to have cocktails when I gamble. Some nights I play great, others I'm the donkey. Now that I can hold my own the gamblers aren't much gamblers anymore. If they don't have the nuts it's no good. So now I'm giving up bigger spots to less experienced to play when all I want is a close and fair game with people that make me push myself because they're every bit as good as I am if not better. Just a run of bad luck.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

They were only your buddies till you were not buying dinner , tell them all to go f themselves and find new friends.
This happens to everyone , so don't take it personal.
I would not give them a spot under any circumstances, tell them to play harder.
As soon as you give up even a little spot , these creeps will feel like they have the best of it again, and play 10% better than they ever did before, and you will have a hard time dealing with it.
Unless, you enjoy the playing so much , you don't mind paying them to play you.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Losing action

They were only your buddies till you were not buying dinner , tell them all to go f themselves and find new friends.

This happens to everyone , so don't take it personal.

I would not give them a spot under any circumstances, tell them to play harder.

As soon as you give up even a little spot , these creeps will feel like they have the best of it again, and play 10% better than they ever did before, and you will have a hard time dealing with it.

Unless, you enjoy the playing so much , you don't mind paying them to play you.

Andy I agree with Billy here. I have found him to be one if the most logical guys on the site, frankly.

There’s a saying in our pool room which goes.. “Everyone is looking for a day at the beach. No one wants a day in the coal mines.” Sounds like your surrounded by beachgoers. They had no issue when you were losing. I wouldn’t spot them. Just be patient and if they grow a heart, great. If not, go to the other room.

Also welcome to the site! What area do you live? I’m sure you will find some games on here and even just the knowledge and camaraderie is worth the price of admission :)

Best,

Mitch Brown

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
I believe we all been thru this scenario. When I first started to play one pocket. I played guys who were way better than me. But I paid to learn. This went on for a year or so. Finally I won a set. Well that was the end of that game. I won once out of probably a hundred and they had to change the game. Well I learnt the game and a lesson. No friends in the pool hall. Dog eat dog world. If I were you I would find another room to play. You may find your game improve even more and then go back and bust em. I did.

Andy52086

Verified Member
Andy I agree with Billy here. I have found him to be one if the most logical guys on the site, frankly.

There’s a saying in our pool room which goes.. “Everyone is looking for a day at the beach. No one wants a day in the coal mines.” Sounds like your surrounded by beachgoers. They had no issue when you were losing. I wouldn’t spot them. Just be patient and if they grow a heart, great. If not, go to the other room.

Also welcome to the site! What area do you live? I’m sure you will find some games on here and even just the knowledge and camaraderie is worth the price of admission :)

Best,

Mitch Brown

They don't want to play anymore even with a spot. I offered to adjust. They just feel they can't beat me anymore period. It's a weird situation.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
If you have been playing for years, they will want to play as much as you, so quit trying to match up for awhile and they will probably come around.

The action junkie is hard to control and they will come around and DON’T change the game. Gambling at pool comes in cycles and you were in a good one. It will change as it always does.

beatle

Verified Member
now you learned how the gambling world works. when you lose they love you and when you win they hate you. dont make friends with whom you gamble with .

learn to stall so your speed is never realized by your opponents. lose before you show your true speed. once they have you clocked you never ever get a fair or good game after that.

play smaller now in that room with the worse players and break even with them for awhile. it will take some time but your speed will be readjusted by some. then you can beat those people.

the ones that wont play you anymore dont ever ask them just tell them no you arent playing well lately and dont want their action. soon they may come around and if they dont thats the rub of the green.

most players that are half smart will let you lose all you want but not let you win but a little before they pull up.

most players always shoot their full speed so in the end they end up being the sucker even if way better than the rest of them. all players that bet high tend to ask the better player for too much weight. except for top players who can give way more than anyone realizes.

if you play pool to shoot your full speed then be prepared to be a loser or play for peanuts.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Andy I have an idea.
Pick out a real nice guy that doesn’t play very well. Let’s say Refrigerator Repairman and lose large amounts to that fellow. I’m sure it will reap dividends down the road towards better games with these better players.

Dead Empty

Tell them "You all faint for the cash. Go see the Wizard and ask him for a heart. It ain't my job to spot the dog out of you." It's a pool hall.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I believe we all been thru this scenario. When I first started to play one pocket. I played guys who were way better than me. But I paid to learn. This went on for a year or so. Finally I won a set. Well that was the end of that game. I won once out of probably a hundred and they had to change the game. Well I learnt the game and a lesson. No friends in the pool hall. Dog eat dog world. If I were you I would find another room to play. You may find your game improve even more and then go back and bust em. I did.

I got to the point of hating pool at the main 2 rooms where I lived.
I drove 45 miles one way to a small town, where it was the exact opposite.
Guys my speed played me even, and better players spotted me.
I always had a great time , win or lose , and never had an unkind word from anyone.
I keep praying, I will feel well enough to go back and see all my friends again.
I just can't handle the trip very well right now.
I also met a great player, who improved my game about 4 balls in 2 years, and when I did go back.
I only got to destroy about 3 people before they all wanted huge spots, which I said no to.
I could have sandbagged and won a few dollars more , and made a bunch of enemies I don't need, but that's not me.
Plus , you don't need to even play that good in this room to get on the no play list, just show you have heart one time, and the scavengers avoid you like the plague.
It's called "winning heat" , and sometimes it can be really strong.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

Best,

Mitch Brown

Thanks Mitch ,I really appreciate the kind words.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
When I first started going to California Billiards in the past Century
I played the Sarge. An adequate player but no champion. I shot at everything and lost $80 at $5 a game. Next time I went in, A line formed to see who would play me. Meals on the house for years

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Don't worry about losing action, it's never going to happen. There's a phrase attributed to carnival showman, P.T.Barnum, that in itself is so true, "There's a sucker born every minute." My advice, Don't be that sucker!