McMorran vs. Joyner

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Watched a good match last night from the 1998 World One-Pocket tournament: Dick McMorran vs. Cliff Joyner, race to 4. I won't reveal the outcome, in consideration of those who haven't seen it, but it's not revealing too much to say that it went hill/hill.:cool:

Dick sure knows how to take care of Whitey! He played a great match against one of the best players. Buddy Hall has always been one of my favorite commentators. But during this match, he sounded like either he'd just got up, or it was a little past his bedtime. I thought he was overly critical of Dick's moving, in contrast to his shooting. At one point he said,
"Dick never gives anyone a shot at their hole." Well, isn't that the idea?? He'd LOVE Jimmy Fusco!

Good one, Dick~

Doc

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Doc, there's a great one-pocket lesson illustrated in the end of the last rack. Keep your man waiting until he just cain't wait no more.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
:eek: Speaking of which, the most spectacular surprise ending you will ever see was in a Reyes-Pagulayan match at the 2008 DCC. Wish I had been there. Have you seen it?

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
gulfportdoc said:
Watched a good match last night from the 1998 World One-Pocket tournament: Dick McMorran vs. Cliff Joyner, race to 4. I won't reveal the outcome, in consideration of those who haven't seen it, but it's not revealing too much to say that it went hill/hill.:cool:

Dick sure knows how to take care of Whitey! He played a great match against one of the best players. Buddy Hall has always been one of my favorite commentators. But during this match, he sounded like either he'd just got up, or it was a little past his bedtime. I thought he was overly critical of Dick's moving, in contrast to his shooting. At one point he said,
"Dick never gives anyone a shot at their hole." Well, isn't that the idea?? He'd LOVE Jimmy Fusco!

Good one, Dick~

I took your advice Doc and ordered the tape/w Cliff and San Jose Dick. What a great match. Lots and lots of good moving and patience. I thought Dick played an excellent game for being out gunned on firepower. It also showed that when a player doesn't get to shoot that often at his hole he often missses at the first opportunity to shoot.

Dick proved Buddy wrong on more than one occassion when Buddy was saying "he's got to shoot, How is he going to win a game if he don't shoot at his pocket?" But Dick kept moving and often kept the game in his control.

Excellent one pocket Dick. My mind also started to click on some of the choices I watched Dick perform. I definately learned a little bit more.

Thanks Dick.........

george

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I bought the dvd and me and many others were watching it at Kolbys here in Tempe AZ.I did not study the match but will soon,I also plan on getting some quality time with my buddy Dick,need to improve my game. :)

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Fast Lenny said:
I bought the dvd and me and many others were watching it at Kolbys here in Tempe AZ.I did not study the match but will soon,I also plan on getting some quality time with my buddy Dick,need to improve my game. :)

Accu stats has it on dvd finally? I haven't seen it on their site though. Been waiting ages for it. Thanks

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Fast Lenny said:
I did not study the match but will soon,I also plan on getting some quality time with my buddy Dick,need to improve my game.

WHY? Have a tough game comming up???:eek: :eek: :D BUSTED!!!! <-----I have the same version of the internet you do.:cool: :)

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Fatboy said:
WHY? Have a tough game comming up???:eek: :eek: :D BUSTED!!!! <-----I have the same version of the internet you do.:cool:
You might have the video but I got the man himself and hopefully he will transfer some knowledge so I can embarrass you alittle bit. :p