Getting Into Trouble...Or Out???

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Well, after waiting weeks for the people who were all gung-ho about posting layouts to do so and for those that didn't know how, to learn to do so, and then show what the player shot within 24 hours, I guess they found out how much work it is to post one shitty pic from a bad angle from a 10 year old VHS tape, so here goes:

S. Ochoa vs. S. Frost at Tunica 2012. Ochoa has a 4-0 lead and it's his shot. What would you do?

so's shot1.jpg

so's shot 2.jpg

so's shot 3.jpg

ball numbers.jpg

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I'm starting with the 6 also. Looking at androd's projection, I'm afraid I might force Scott to shoot (probably the 1 ball) and that's dangerous. And it is quite possible that he could shoot the 1 safely. With a 4-0 lead, it looks to me like a chance to end the game right now - or at least take a 6-0 lead and get a good leave.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Well, after waiting weeks for the people who were all gung-ho about posting layouts to do so and for those that didn't know how, to learn to do so, and then show what the player shot within 24 hours, I guess they found out how much work it is to post one shitty pic from a bad angle from a 10 year old VHS tape, so here goes:

S. Ochoa vs. S. Frost at Tunica 2012. Ochoa has a 4-0 lead and it's his shot. What would you do?

View attachment 7393

View attachment 7394

View attachment 7395

View attachment 7396

I'd shoot the six and use an agressive draw shot with middle english and go up table aiming for the middle of the head rail and back down to the foot of table, and try and land by the the ten or below, from there a very diverse allotment of shot choices, its easy to control and fairly easy to keep from any type of scratch.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I probably would make the six and land on the 5 ball, either angle off the 5 gives me another shot on another ball. If I do not land good on the 5 ball my back up plan is moving the 10 or shooting the 1 into the 4 depending on where my cue ball, I would play whitey close to his hole and ideally by the 3 and 11.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I think i would play a safe by hitting the right side of the 10 with a little draw , leaving the CB down by the 11. I don't want to bust up a bunch of balls against Frost and leave him a cut from his side of the table. Its a free shot to leave the CB back on Ochoa's side of the table. If he makes the ball he's out.--Smitty

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I probably would make the six and land on the 5 ball, either angle off the 5 gives me another shot on another ball. If I do not land good on the 5 ball my back up plan is moving the 10 or shooting the 1 into the 4 depending on where my cue ball, I would play whitey close to his hole and ideally by the 3 and 11.

This is what I like(ed) too, going 2 rails to get on that 5 (for me, I'll never miss that 6 with the stroke going 2 rails there). Then work from where I get on the 5, hopefully almost straight in to either side.

The thing is though, I truly believe if you want to beat Scott you have to be all out shooting here. You just have to win, or come close to it, when you get a shot like this. If you are ducking I bet he jumps out of his chair, gets some energy and momentum, makes a good shot or two and now it's 4 to 1 or something and you are dead trapped and wishing you went all out on the 6. That is just how I feel about these positions.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I believe I would cut the 6 softly with right spin to float one rail up for the 5-ball. If I didn't get there on the 5-ball I would be looking to duck off of the 10-ball next.

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
If you were backing Sylver, and he chose not to shoot the 6, what would your reaction be?

Is the position so bad that you will not take 2 free balls?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I'd shoot the six and use an agressive draw shot with middle english and go up table aiming for the middle of the head rail and back down to the foot of table, and try and land by the the ten or below, from there a very diverse allotment of shot choices, its easy to control and fairly easy to keep from any type of scratch.

ID,

You may be aggressively underestimating the thinness of the cut on the 6 ball:).

CBD

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I believe I would cut the 6 softly with right spin to float one rail up for the 5-ball. If I didn't get there on the 5-ball I would be looking to duck off of the 10-ball next.

This is the shot I liked, either that or go two rails for the 15 ball. Apparently Sylver saw something that we didn't?:confused:. He walked around and looked at the balls:

so's shot 8.jpg

He put his cue down where he wanted the cueball to stop:

so's shot 9.jpg

Then he cut the 6 in softly in the attempt to place the cueball where he wanted:

so's shot 7.jpg

He left himself here:

so's shot 5.jpg

I guess he saw something that we didn't but I sure don't know what it was? He wasn't playing scared and this was the third shot of a run of three after a Frost scratch (in a pocket). Puzzling to say the least but he put himself in a little trap here.

Dennis

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Maybe the shot on the six was more difficult then we think and that's why he decided not to get too aggressive with it.
He cinched it and maybe saw a good defensive play from where he put the cue ball.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Maybe the shot on the six was more difficult then we think and that's why he decided not to get too aggressive with it.
He cinched it and maybe saw a good defensive play from where he put the cue ball.

Maybe Frank but it sure didn't look like that on the DVD. I guess we're all lucky that our shots aren't all preserved for critique on VHS and DVD's:p.

CBD

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I think he was looking at his cb line only in that freeze frame. I don't think that is where he wanted to stop. In any case, he needs to clean the excrement up before he shoots his next shot.