Virtual Pool 4

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Hey all,

I am new to this site, seems like a great community, thanks for having me! I did a message board search on "Virtual Pool" and did not see anything come up besides a thread back from 2006 about Virtual Pool 3 so I thought I would post this about the new version.

For those of you not aware, Virtual Pool 4 which came out earlier this year is incredibly accurate, very realistic and is very similar to playing real pool. It is played on a PC and they have every game you can think of (and some you will have never heard of). You use your mouse to stroke the ball so of course speed plays a big part in all of your shots not only for shape but also the natural "throw" of the ball (just like on a real table).

Since I don't have the ability/time to get out and play real pool as often as I would like, I am in front of my computer every night and am able to enjoy the game and have competitive matches in the comfort of my own home.

The main reason I started playing it was because it was one of the first online pool games that offered one pocket as a game!! For $10 total, you can get unlimited access to all of the games and all table choices (bar box, 8 foot, 9 foot, 10 foot, snooker, billiards, etc). They have tournaments and ladders all day but mostly I like doing heads up 1 pocket matches.

There are probably 10 or so players that focus on 1 pocket with maybe 5 of us who play it pretty well. We only play on the 10 foot table with the "very tight" pocket settings. That way it makes it more of a chess match like real one pocket instead of allowing some young gun to jump in and run 8 and out all of the time :)

In any case, I would love to see some more 1 pocket players join in so if anyone has any questions or needs any help with it, please message me here or look me up in game (also cincy_kid).

Hoping to get some more competition in there for us die hard 1 pocket players!

PS - they have a single player version for $29 but you want the online version for $10 so you can play against other players online instead of playing against a computer opponent.

PSS - you can also download it and play for free but you are limited to only being able to play on a bar box table with 8b, 9b, and 6b as your only game choices.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Hey all,

I am new to this site, seems like a great community, thanks for having me! I did a message board search on "Virtual Pool" and did not see anything come up besides a thread back from 2006 about Virtual Pool 3 so I thought I would post this about the new version.

For those of you not aware, Virtual Pool 4 which came out earlier this year is incredibly accurate, very realistic and is very similar to playing real pool. It is played on a PC and they have every game you can think of (and some you will have never heard of). You use your mouse to stroke the ball so of course speed plays a big part in all of your shots not only for shape but also the natural "throw" of the ball (just like on a real table).

Since I don't have the ability/time to get out and play real pool as often as I would like, I am in front of my computer every night and am able to enjoy the game and have competitive matches in the comfort of my own home.

The main reason I started playing it was because it was one of the first online pool games that offered one pocket as a game!! For $10 total, you can get unlimited access to all of the games and all table choices (bar box, 8 foot, 9 foot, 10 foot, snooker, billiards, etc). They have tournaments and ladders all day but mostly I like doing heads up 1 pocket matches.

There are probably 10 or so players that focus on 1 pocket with maybe 5 of us who play it pretty well. We only play on the 10 foot table with the "very tight" pocket settings. That way it makes it more of a chess match like real one pocket instead of allowing some young gun to jump in and run 8 and out all of the time :)

In any case, I would love to see some more 1 pocket players join in so if anyone has any questions or needs any help with it, please message me here or look me up in game (also cincy_kid).

Hoping to get some more competition in there for us die hard 1 pocket players!

PS - they have a single player version for $29 but you want the online version for $10 so you can play against other players online instead of playing against a computer opponent.

PSS - you can also download it and play for free but you are limited to only being able to play on a bar box table with 8b, 9b, and 6b as your only game choices.

I'll play it some if it's that cheap and that good. I still play a few games on the miniclip pool simulator now and then, but it's eight ball. .. Tyler Durden plays it. He told me about it
You can see when I took this screenshot that there were over 55 thousand players online at that time, worldwide. A lot of muslims on there. I've tortured a bunch of mohammads on there. Gotta linkage??????/

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Yea, I used to play Carom3D that had a lot of players from all over the world and I stopped playing it once it shut down and once I found out that vp4 had one pocket..

the website is:
http://vponline.celeris.com/vp4onprod

It's been a while since I registered but I think all you have to do is register and then you can pick to either play the free version (8b, 9b, 6b) or pay $10 and get to play all of the games.

If you end up getting it, look me up in there and we can play some 1 hole!

PS - there is a bit of a learning curve when you first start out but once you play it for about a week, you get used to the speed, english, aim, etc...

pooljunky

Virtual Pool 4 - "So realistic it will make your real pool game better!"

Virtual Pool 4 - "So realistic it will make your real pool game better!"

Hi all one pocket players. My name is Steve Chaplin, creator of Virtual Pool. I play pool in real life and do play one pocket, having the honor of learning from Frank Almanza.

Where most pool video games like Mini Clip are games about pool, Virtual Pool 4 is like playing real life pool. You can actually learn to play better one pocket playing VP4.

What cincy_kid said about a learning curve is true. You have to get used to the controls and the visual takes some time to get used to as it is a 3D view on a monitor. But once you get that down, you can use all your one hole knowledge to play and enjoy the game.

Here is a link to a short game trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAxACAt6m8g

I could not find any one pocket video, but here is an online 9-Ball match so you can get a feel for the quality of play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DehXG1VhUoc

We play one pocket mostly on a 10 ft table with tight pockets because ball pocketing in VP4 is easier than real life as your stroke is always straight. On that table setup you won't be firing at shots, just like real life. This brings in all the moves and strategy of one pocket.

Hope to see some of you online.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
1p game recorded

1p game recorded

Hey all,

So I haven't played this since December and decided to play a little this weekend. I am a bit rusty but still very much fun! I figured I would record a one pocket match and post it on youtube so that those who have not seen it before can get a taste of the game. Whether you can tell by watching or not, it is very realistic.

This is me playing one of my buddies in the game named bakermaker. We are both top 1p players in the game and always have good matches, although this one is less than 17 minutes we have had some games that have lasted upwards to 2 hours!

Not our best efforts here in this match but it gives you an idea of the game play. Something to keep in mind is there are different table settings in VP4. All of us 1p players play on the 10 foot table with the "Very Tight" pocket settings to make it more about moves and strategy and less running 8 and out (although that can be done as well).

This video shows the game in my point of view inside the game. So you will see the camera moving around from regular view to overhead view, zooming in and moving the vantage point around so that I can see if anything is dead in the stack, etc.

If anyone ever decides to play it, let me know so we can play some 1 hole! This takes WWYD to a new level, now you can actually execute the shots! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5MeKZ0MkiE

Enjoy ~

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Ok, we have a new player in vp4 - Tall Jeff getting in stroke as we speak :)

If anyone else signs up, let us know so we can look for you in game.

PS - if you run into any issues downloading, installing, setting up or playing the game, send me a PM and I am happy to help walk you through any of it.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Ok, we have a new player in vp4 - Tall Jeff getting in stroke as we speak :)

If anyone else signs up, let us know so we can look for you in game.

PS - if you run into any issues downloading, installing, setting up or playing the game, send me a PM and I am happy to help walk you through any of it.

Yep,
I am mis-cueing, hitting em to hard, to soft, over cutting just about everything except the ones I hit fat and generally struggling with all aspects of playing virtual pool.

I may have to give it up, my brain just might not be willing to retrain itself. This could be fun if it wasn't so damn hard! I feel it may inhibit my angles at the pool room... If that happens I know I'm gonna turn it loose.

Cincy kid took a lot of time away from his daily routine and talked me through the registration process and the actual download of the game, which isn't all that easy if you're not computer literate. He also gave me the basics on control of the CB and visuals from different angles, stroke and cuestick alignment.

This would be a perfect tool for a youngster to start playing one snap on, or any other pool game for that matter. I'm gonna keep at it for a few days and see if it gets any easier, if not I'm afraid it's Asta La Vista Baby!:frus

Thanks Kid :)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Yep,
I am mis-cueing, hitting em to hard, to soft, over cutting just about everything except the ones I hit fat and generally struggling with all aspects of playing virtual pool.

I may have to give it up, my brain just might not be willing to retrain itself. This could be fun if it wasn't so damn hard! I feel it may inhibit my angles at the pool room... If that happens I know I'm gonna turn it loose.

Cincy kid took a lot of time away from his daily routine and talked me through the registration process and the actual download of the game, which isn't all that easy if you're not computer literate. He also gave me the basics on control of the CB and visuals from different angles, stroke and cuestick alignment.

This would be a perfect tool for a youngster to start playing one snap on, or any other pool game for that matter. I'm gonna keep at it for a few days and see if it gets any easier, if not I'm afraid it's Asta La Vista Baby!:frus

Thanks Kid :)

They give you $1,000 VP$ from signing up to play so take some of that and buy a new cue in the cue shop. If you use that beginner cue, you will miscue a lot and cant get as much spin on the ball but once you buy a cue all of that goes away.

My pleasure in walking you through it. If anyone who truly loves one pocket plays vp4 for 1 week straight, they will never turn back ;)

Don't give up Jeff, I told you that it took me a week before I could make 2 balls in a row so although there is a decent size learning curve in the beginning, once you have ti down, its very realistic and should be pretty accurate on angles for real pool. I don't think it can hurt your real game, in fact if anything it may have helped mine. You still have to execute the shot on a real table so it's not going to help you there but as far as seeing angles, combos, dead shots, moves and defense, its great!

Get a new cue and play every day for a week Jeff and after that if you don't think it's for you, at least you tried but I would like to bet you wont be able to get enough of it in the near future... :)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Too bad virtual pool mobile doesn't have 1p...

yk

Yea you can play a couple of games (9b or 8b I think) of VP on your phone or tablet but that's not going to be any good as far as realism. You cant really get any precise aiming and hard to control speed, etc. You need to have your mouse, aim the shot, look at the overhead view, go behind the stack and see if you have an dead balls lining up, put english on it and then stroke it just like you do a pool cue by the speed you move your mouse.

I have played all types of pool video games over the past 30 years and this just brings it to a new level - its like playing a real match.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I haven't played it in quite a while but only because I am too busy with other things...I will still say that it is by far, heads above any other pool game I have ever played (and I have played a lot).

The best part is, they have 1 pocket and you can play on a 10 foot table with very tight pockets so it makes it play pretty close to a real 1 pocket match where there are more moves and strategies and not as many 8 and outs.

Cue ball speed and control is pretty darn accurate as is the way the balls react off of the rails. It's all pretty true to life.

Let me know if you end up playing it for a bit and I may re-sub (its like $10 for 1 year of play).

youngstown

Verified Member
Virtual Pool 4

Just bought it for my iPad mini...ill let you know if I stick with it enough to give you a challenge lol

youngstown

Verified Member
Virtual Pool 4

Just went thru the training, then was about to start a new career but one pocket isn't an option...that was a waste of money...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Just went thru the training, then was about to start a new career but one pocket isn't an option...that was a waste of money...

Yes, YK, you have to buy the online version ($10) for your PC computer. You are not going to be able to play very well at all from a mobile device even if 1p were an option. You use your mouse to do the stroke of the stick, there is a lot to the game and again very realistic. I guess an ipad version is ok if you are just bored and want to goof off, but if you want to play some serious competitive pool, you need a computer.

I have it all in my original post but I can see how it can be easy to miss, sorry YK!

youngstown

Verified Member
Virtual Pool 4

I'm the only software developer who doesn't own a computer...when I get done with work I'm not interested in more keyboard time...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I dont know if anyone else ended up trying this out but if we get a few guys to play it, I will renew my subscription! It's only $10 for one year of play.

You have to play it on a PC with a mouse and keyboard (yes they have version you can play on your phone and ipad but that something completely different)... (sorry YTK!)

Again, its the most realistic pool game ever invented and you will not find one anywhere close to this for realism and how the balls react true to english, natural throws, spins, deflection, speed, everything...

It has every pool game imaginable (and some you have never heard of)..just to throw out some of the games:

- one pocket!!!
- bank pool
- 4 different billiards games (3 cushion, straight rail, 1 rail and 4 ball)
- straight pool
- 9b, 8b (all rotations games)
- all snooker games
- etc....

Does it beat going to the pool hall and getting into some action? Heck no - but for those of us at home or can't go out on a specific night, it sure is a real good consolation prize!

The competition is pretty scary too. When I was playing there were only a handful of us playing one hole but it was becoming more popular. It was great to get into a game with someone of equal skill -- great fun!

I figured if we ever did get a few of us who played, we could hop in discord voice chat and be talking to each other while we played. Also, we could do some friendly mailbox money wagers if and when you guys felt comfortable enough to participate. They also have spots in the game so we could give up and get weight as needed...

When I first started playing it, it took me a week before I could make a ball or 2 in a row, there was a steep learning curve but once you get it, its so strong its sick...

PS - if you decide to get it, make sure you are getting the online version!!!

You can go to this link to set up an account:
https://vponline.celeris.com/auth/register

(and you can actually download it and play for free to try it out however in free mode you only get to play 8 ball or 9 ball and its only on a small bar table with other free accounts. Spend the $10 :)

Let me know if anyone plays it for a week or so without giving up and I would be glad to hop back in for some competition! :)

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I use the great 3D visuals for illustrations. I've also thought it would be good for WWYDs because you can move all around the table to see different views. Here's an example.

pj
chgo

View attachment 21159

Attachments

• 1p 1.jpg
    1p 1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0