Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2016, 06:41 AM
Verified Member

Default Philly 1P

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post
You know I was referring to your stroke "form," not your character, right?

Lol yeah
Old 07-19-2016, 09:00 AM
Verified Member

About Baltimore and top hats Piano Man, what's his real name?
Old 07-19-2016, 11:08 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wirth View Post
Cory, first of all, congratulations on playing in a tournament which undoubtedly had a very strong field. That experience will serve you well in your One Pocket future.

Now to your comments in bold. You said Appleton tried some "very hard shots" which sold out more times than not. This is not power One Pocket, this is Uncontrolled Aggression. One of the first lessons to be learned with all pool games is to know yourself and play within your present capabilities. Missing shots and selling out is not power One pocket.

Another game you stated Bird missed an out ball and Darren ran out with balls all over the table. This ability is what makes Darren dangerous. Knowing your opponent is capable of running balls so well applies great pressure and has a way of turning lions into kittens. Players who rely solely on defensive skills rarely win against players with formidable offensive skills but lack strong defense. Darren has both but failed to use the one as much as he should have. As you said, "he overreached". Overreaching means playing beyond ones capabilities. It rarely if ever wins.

The game still requires eight balls to be pocketed into a single hole to win. Though you didn't say so, I'd wager Bird has some firepower of his own. The difference being is he controlled his urge to shoot and found solid moves to stymie Darren. He probably saw impatience in Darren and exploited that flaw with a waiting game.

Keep in mind that there is a big difference between heads up action and tournament play. Gambling by the game is typically far more aggressive and offensive because the players know there is always another game which the player can recoup his loss. Not so with a tournament match.

Tom
Thanks, I think it would be a big boost for my game if I could play in events like that a few times a year--you're exactly right.

I also agree with your distinction between controlled and uncontrolled aggression. Classic Achilles heel: if you're one of the best shot makers in the world, and Darren is, you just might rely too heavily on shooting!

One clarification: those were not my observations, but rather a friend who stayed at the tourney longer than I did. Credit where credit is due. And yes, J-Bird can shoot and move.

In my match against Adam, who won the whole thing, I could really feel the pressure that you and Billy talk about. For stretches, I would move pretty good, but each inning the table would steadily get worse for me and better for him, and the shot I would have to pull off to escape would get harder each turn. Eventually, I would blow it, and Adam would collect his reward and run a bunch of balls.

There was also a big psychological component. In the first game, I had no idea who he was or how he played, and he had no idea about me. Not knowing the true skill gap, I actually played better and he played worse. Once he pulled off a few very strong shots, and I pulled off a few weak shots, it became clear that he had a significant edge over me. At that point, it almost became self-reinforcing: I shot worse and with less confidence, and he shot better and with more confidence.

My first match went the other way. Once I was confident I had the edge, I shot even better and the other guy shot worse, and I won four games in a row after losing the first.

Moral of the story: I can add maintaining confidence in my execution no matter the opponent to my list of things to work on.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Verified Member

Default Real Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
About Baltimore and top hats Piano Man, what's his real name?
Jeff Brinkman
Old 07-19-2016, 10:03 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory in dc View Post

In my match against Adam, who won the whole thing, I could really feel the pressure that you and Billy talk about. For stretches, I would move pretty good, but each inning the table would steadily get worse for me and better for him, and the shot I would have to pull off to escape would get harder each turn. Eventually, I would blow it, and Adam would collect his reward and run a bunch of balls.

Moral of the story: I can add maintaining confidence in my execution no matter the opponent to my list of things to work on.
thats exactly what happens when you are the weaker player
you are trying to survive while your opponent is looking to score
Old 07-19-2016, 10:58 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Wojo View Post
Jeff Brinkman
Thanks Frank. Jeff was a super nice guy to play, I just couldn't his name.