Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2019, 07:00 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frmn View Post
The table he is playing on is a 4 1/2 by 9 Brunswick with 5 inch corner pockets and 5 1/4 side pockets with Simonis cloth. Thursday saw 4 more runs of 100 and a 228. He is quite a showman and has great interaction with spectators. it is amazing to watch his level of concentration ramp up as the runs become bigger. As always we invite everyone to come down and witness his attempt to break this longstanding record. Who knows your name and signature might be on the official testimonial document.
Well, that'll sure help. But the 4-1/2 X 9 makes it a lot tougher than on a 4 X 8. I'd love to see him do it. I have no doubt in my mind that he could do it on a 4 x 8.

~Doc
Old 03-22-2019, 10:41 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
Frank, was that poster done by Dan Birkbeck, or the Birkbeck twins? They did such wonderful illustrations. They studied under Norman Rockwell, you know. I have Ray Martin's signed with a nice sentiment displayed in my poolroom.

~Doc
I'm not sure who did it but it's a good question and I will try to find out some information on it. It is very well done.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:00 PM
Verified Member

Their work was primitive compared to that poster.
It almost looks like a montage of photographs that was put together and then printed.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:52 AM
Verified Member

I wonder what the approximate stat is on runs ending getting stuck to a ball or tied up after the break vs flat out missing an open shot.

I would bet the runs primarily end as a result of a tough layout/bad roll after a break.

I bet John does not even play much competitive straight pool. I think if all the guys were matched up and in tournaments playimg straight pool daily, learning the true essence of how to hit those break shots under the gun (not that they aren't really good already), the number would fall easily.

I thought that number had been reached before btw. Maybe the number i am thinking of was unverified. I forget the players name I am referring to unfortunately.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:06 AM
Verified Member

Mike Eufemia had a run of 626.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:10 AM
Verified Member

Pool lore is full of claims of exceedingly high runs, but which were not witnessed, verified or attested to. Mosconi's 526 is the highest run witnessed and attested. There have been multiple runs in the 400's. I've heard tales of 600, 700 balls run, which I take as hokum.

IMO the record which will never be broken is Irving Crane's 309 on a 5 x 10 table in 1939.

~Doc
Old 03-27-2019, 11:14 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Pool lore is full of claims of exceedingly high runs, but which were not witnessed, verified or attested to. Mosconi's 526 is the highest run witnessed and attested. There have been multiple runs in the 400's. I've heard tales of 600, 700 balls run, which I take as hokum.

IMO the record which will never be broken is Irving Crane's 309 on a 5 x 10 table in 1939.

~Doc

I saw this on Z.. Could there possibly be any truth in this??.. I just post it since Jewett said it..(I don't think of him as a Jim Comey type).. Of course he didn't say he saw anything.. Just heard about it..I don't believe it...... Go Schmidt...

Old 03-27-2019, 06:57 PM
Verified Member

Without bona fide witnessed testimony, I don't believe that anyone has ever run 600-700+ balls on a 9' table, nor has 400+ likely ever been run on a 10' table.

Cranfield was truly a ball running machine, as many of the great 14.1 players were. I saw him play at the '68 world championships in NYC. He was a very nervous chain smoking type individual. But he never won a world championship.

~Doc
Old 03-27-2019, 08:58 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Without bona fide witnessed testimony, I don't believe that anyone has ever run 600-700+ balls on a 9' table, nor has 400+ likely ever been run on a 10' table.

Cranfield was truly a ball running machine, as many of the great 14.1 players were. I saw him play at the '68 world championships in NYC. He was a very nervous chain smoking type individual. But he never won a world championship.

~Doc

Doc, Cranfield is said to have run 768 and 450 and 420 a 10'; Charlie Ursitti said he racked and watched Mosconi run 608 and lay down his cue saying something like: See it's not so tough to run 600; Engert has run 491; Gene Nagy ran 430; Dallas West 429; Ray Martin 426; Allen Hopkins 421; Hohmann 408; Earl 408; Joe Balsis 375; and there are many more.

Lou Figueroa
Old 03-28-2019, 12:00 AM
Verified Member

I know pool players never tell a lie , but all that stuff that happened in someones basement , even with a video tape is not acceptable for me .
Too easy to fudge