Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2019, 08:45 PM
Verified Member

I was debating about attending this event and to be honest I'm going to pass for the following reasons:

It just shouldn't be this tough. If guys are traveling they should get 3/3 and if at all possible not face being knocked out the first day.

Additionally, there's only one reason for a time issue given 32 guys, three days, and plenty of tables: one or two guys slowing up the whole event. That can and should be taken care of without punishing the whole field with an abbreviated format and/or goofy rules. Its not rocket science, it's tournament management.

And, I'd strongly recommend that in the future a start time be identified early on and adhered to. It is, IMO, unfair to the guys who hauled their sorry butts to the event to be there on time -- incurring perhaps additional time off work and rental car and hotel monies -- and allow guys to wander in at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 PM for a tournament with perhaps a 12 start time. These guys get their matches called and the good guys have to sit around and wait for them. Lastly, what's with multiple smoke breaks?! You get one per match, have a nice day.

So, I know no one will miss me, but I'll wait until when/if things get straighten out. Hope you all have a great time.

Lou Figueroa
Old 03-21-2019, 10:27 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory in dc View Post
I also don't like the idea of eliminations on Friday, but it may be necessary. We don't need to make a big production or debate for this, but on an ad hoc basis, we could easily run a $50 single elimination race to 2 Saturday afternoon tournament for either (1) all 2 out players (8) or (2) all 2 or 3 & out (12) players.
A mini for the early exit players is a great idea
Old 03-21-2019, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
I was debating about attending this event and to be honest I'm going to pass for the following reasons:

It just shouldn't be this tough. If guys are traveling they should get 3/3 and if at all possible not face being knocked out the first day.

Additionally, there's only one reason for a time issue given 32 guys, three days, and plenty of tables: one or two guys slowing up the whole event. That can and should be taken care of without punishing the whole field with an abbreviated format and/or goofy rules. Its not rocket science, it's tournament management.

And, I'd strongly recommend that in the future a start time be identified early on and adhered to. It is, IMO, unfair to the guys who hauled their sorry butts to the event to be there on time -- incurring perhaps additional time off work and rental car and hotel monies -- and allow guys to wander in at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 PM for a tournament with perhaps a 12 start time. These guys get their matches called and the good guys have to sit around and wait for them. Lastly, what's with multiple smoke breaks?! You get one per match, have a nice day.

So, I know no one will miss me, but I'll wait until when/if things get straighten out. Hope you all have a great time.

Lou Figueroa
Oh, we will for sure!!! These tournaments have all been a blast, win or lose!! To be honest, most of us are there for exactly that -- having fun; most of us do not expect to win the tournament! And getting knocked out the first day does not change that. Just look at the poll results -- landslide (so far) in favor of the only one out of four choices that gets the most players knocked out the first day.

Regarding the rest of your post -- what are you talking about?? No one gets to wander in 6 hours after a start time! And the whole point of the poll is to set the schedule
Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 AM
Verified Member

Quote:

Lou Figueroa
Lou, your a great guy and a great guy to play. Iíve enjoyed the many times weíve played but your way off base on your post. Iím just going to leave it at that and sign off.

Jim
Old 03-22-2019, 08:58 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
Oh, we will for sure!!! These tournaments have all been a blast, win or lose!! To be honest, most of us are there for exactly that -- having fun; most of us do not expect to win the tournament! And getting knocked out the first day does not change that. Just look at the poll results -- landslide (so far) in favor of the only one out of four choices that gets the most players knocked out the first day.

Regarding the rest of your post -- what are you talking about?? No one gets to wander in 6 hours after a start time! And the whole point of the poll is to set the schedule

I think there has been plenty of sentiment expressed opposing a format that would eliminate guys the first night. For this king of "friendly" event I would think that would be a given.

As to starting late I may have mis-spoke but I thought I read in one of the threads something about players who were paid but could not play (presumably due to a late arrival) starting later. If wrong, i apologize.

Lou Figueroa
Old 03-22-2019, 09:02 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
Lou, your a great guy and a great guy to play. Iíve enjoyed the many times weíve played but your way off base on your post. Iím just going to leave it at that and sign off.

Jim

Jim, you're a great guy too.

I've played in plenty of tournaments and we all have different opinions on stuff like this. I just believe that if you can't get a relatively small tournament done in three days something is amiss. I'm going to leave it there. I'm sure everyone will have fun.

Lou Figueroa
Old 03-22-2019, 09:42 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
I think there has been plenty of sentiment expressed opposing a format that would eliminate guys the first night. For this king of "friendly" event I would think that would be a given.

As to starting late I may have mis-spoke but I thought I read in one of the threads something about players who were paid but could not play (presumably due to a late arrival) starting later. If wrong, i apologize.

Lou Figueroa
You aren't wrong.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:09 PM
Verified Member

Default 2019 Member Tournament Sign up Thread!!!

Entry list updated to included Hendy and Johnnytronic! Only 9 spots left fellas!!!
Old 03-23-2019, 09:24 AM
Verified Member

As usual life and family are in my way. Will be in NC that weekend. Would enjoy meeting everyone. Have fun. Welcome to Phila.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:02 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbtank View Post
Entry list updated to included Hendy and Johnnytronic! Only 9 spots left fellas!!!
Unfortunately guys Iím not gonna make it. It conflicts with a big 1/2 Ironman training weekend that Iím competing in with my wife. If anything changes and itís not too late I will let you know, but as of now Iím a no.