Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2019, 05:36 AM
Verified Member

This is probably not the right time or place to bring this up, but one of the huge areas that needs improvement in one pocket rules is foul penalties in my opinion.

One thought i have had is what do you guys think about addressing this with potentially much greater offensive opportunities. The cool thing about this potential rule is, depending on how fast you want a tournament to go, you can have different "levels"...

A player gets ball in hand behind the head string as it stands. Why not let the incoming player have that same opportunity, but, if he wants to shoot from further up the table at a ball across the middle string for example, he can.

The rule would essentially be the same as it is now, must shoot a ball that is in front of the headstring, but you could move the cb up the table. So whichever the td chise as the limit, lets say the middle string of the table, he could now shoot with the cue ball in the middle of the table, as long as the ball he was shooting was beyond that line. He could also decline that ability, and shoot a ball with the cb behind the headstring if he wanted to shoot a ball that was laying just past the headstring. I made that sound confusing, but if you got it I think it is a good rule. And, the each tournamnet could place the maximum line as far as they wanted. I suppose you could use the foot string as the maximum line if you wanted, as long as the ball you were shooting was beyond it. You could always choose a line string "below" the max line, but never one above as the incoming shooter.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:07 AM
Verified Member

[QUOTE=El Chapo;254623]I That is not analogous to a purposeful scratch at all. To me, what you brought up would be analogous to a perfectly legit shot in one pocket...

To me it's analogous.. Just like in baseball, there no limit to how many times a pitcher can throw over to first base to try to pick off a runner.. But he takes a chance too.. It takes something out of him to do it.. He can hit the runner with a ball, throw it away, balk, etc..Chris Welsh, the reds broadcaster talked about how he threw over 17 times to try and pick off Vince Coleman. Then when he finally went to the plate, Coleman stole second. First inning... It's not exactly the same, but to me it's analogous.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:52 AM
Verified Member

el chappo and darmoose
you are passionate in your point of view.
it seems to me the majority of posters dont see a problem where you do.
therefore they see no need to make good gooder....
have a nice day......
this is my last post in this thread
Old 03-24-2019, 07:57 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
el chappo and darmoose
you are passionate in your point of view.
it seems to me the majority of posters dont see a problem where you do.
therefore they see no need to make good gooder....
have a nice day......
this is my last post in this thread
You and Jimmy are both probably right. I do not see it like you guys. I suppose nobody is right, and nobody is wrong is the truth.

I just feel like it is so clear. If there was a rule in golf where the players could take advantage of by tapping their golf ball 1mm three shots in a row, everyone would be in immediate agreement.

The players, the advertisers, the fans would all be in concert and say, hell yeah, these are the best ball strikers in the world. Who wants to see them tap their ball 1mm like any old schmuck can do? So, they would make a simple rule change to preclude them from doing that, and there ya go. Advertisers happy, fans happy, players even after they play this way a while. But in pool the analogous situation just seems to put everyone into a stupor.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:16 AM
Verified Member

Default alex and chip no 3 foul rule

El chaps, how about scratches just being BIH anywhere?
Old 03-24-2019, 08:36 AM
Verified Member

I remember hearing long ago RA say the third time/nudge.....one of the two balls has to go to another rail, or loss of game.
no link....
Old 03-24-2019, 08:45 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstownkid View Post
I would love to see a roll out 9 ball match between two top players. One former top player friend of mine speaks very passionately about that style and said it was the only way hed bet significantly.
I agree with your friend. Roll-out was the best (and fairest) way to play 9-ball. We used to play you could roll out anytime you couldn't see the full object ball. Took a lot of the luck (good & bad) out of the game, and promoted good shot making.

Don't want to hijack this thread...

~Doc
Old 03-24-2019, 08:54 AM
Verified Member

[quote=Jimmy B;254626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
I That is not analogous to a purposeful scratch at all. To me, what you brought up would be analogous to a perfectly legit shot in one pocket...

To me it's analogous.. Just like in baseball, there no limit to how many times a pitcher can throw over to first base to try to pick off a runner.. But he takes a chance too.. It takes something out of him to do it.. He can hit the runner with a ball, throw it away, balk, etc..Chris Welsh, the reds broadcaster talked about how he threw over 17 times to try and pick off Vince Coleman. Then when he finally went to the plate, Coleman stole second. First inning... It's not exactly the same, but to me it's analogous.
I was a big vince coleman fan.

I could see this analogy working, as far as an example I was looking for, if there were no chance for the pitcher to make a mistake. He can take as many shots as he would like at the runner, with no ill effect, and he had no chance to make an errant throw to advance the runner. But, he can make a bad throw, so he is taking a slight risk every throw over, and he has got to execute. Not anybody could do that, it takes great physical execution to step off the mound, trick the runner, all fast enough throw him out or scare him and shorten his lead. A scratch in pool an old granny could do... and we are making that an advantageous shot.

I think what you are getting at is players take advantage of rules. Of course they will, and that is a big part of my point. The players are taking advantage of scratches. We see this right in our fave when a ball runner like frost takes five scratches and then just runs those five at the end no problem. My point is, in all sports the governing body see,s to mold the rules so the players can't take advantage of the rules, or to the least extent possible. I do not think we are even close to that in one pocket myself.

To me the silence is deafening. I know I am the only one who sees it that way, but what other sport is there where rules promote poor shots? The lack of answers to that question is the decider. You do not see answers to that question, and I believe it is because rules in sports like golf change constantly... their rule book is an ever morphing animal, kinda like the kaleesi's dragons who are gonna come in and do some damage here in a couple weeks...
Old 03-24-2019, 09:01 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstownkid View Post
El chaps, how about scratches just being BIH anywhere?
That would not work, although i like the idea personally. I think the evolution of the kitchen bih in one pocket came about because you do not want guys jamming the cb in between the rail and a ball that is about a ball off the rail, which would happen if you played ball in hand. See what i mean? The guy would try to almost freeze the cb behind a ob close to the rail, then there could be a push shot and it would be a nightmare.

I am telling you, that is why i proposed the moving headstring scenario. Player could place it behind head, foot or middle string (or if td wanted a more conservative approach, maximum could me middle string only). Middle string being the line between two side pockets of course. And just shoot as normal, only at balls "above" the line.

That would make amateur one pocket tournaments go seriously i am talking twice as fast!! Don't you guys think? The amount bad players scratch in a pocket, combined with them now being able to run serious balls behind almost any scratch in a pocket. I think that right there is the answer to speeding up one hole at an amateur level... not sure how much faster it would make pro events... but pro events on tight pockets it would make it way faster as well.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
That would not work, although i like the idea personally. I think the evolution of the kitchen bih in one pocket came about because you do not want guys jamming the cb in between the rail and a ball that is about a ball off the rail, which would happen if you played ball in hand. See what i mean? The guy would try to almost freeze the cb behind a ob close to the rail, then there could be a push shot and it would be a nightmare.

I am telling you, that is why i proposed the moving headstring scenario. Player could place it behind head, foot or middle string (or if td wanted a more conservative approach, maximum could me middle string only). Middle string being the line between two side pockets of course. And just shoot as normal, only at balls "above" the line.

That would make amateur one pocket tournaments go seriously i am talking twice as fast!! Don't you guys think? The amount bad players scratch in a pocket, combined with them now being able to run serious balls behind almost any scratch in a pocket. I think that right there is the answer to speeding up one hole at an amateur level... not sure how much faster it would make pro events... but pro events on tight pockets it would make it way faster as well.

At least you put a lot of thought into this.. Have to respect it.. Just like when somebody like Ronnie suggests a rule change, like Bill M. mentioned, you ought to consider it... I listen to Marty Herman stream rants sometimes while I'm playing cards, or reading message boards, or eating.. He played a lot of money one pocket in his past.. He says the game is not good now.. Says it would take not only a shot clock, but also a game clock, to be worth a shit.. In other words, a game could end 5-4 or even 1-0.. And he's not liberal with the amount of time in a game, either.. It's SHORT.. Many ideas...