Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2019, 07:00 PM
Verified Member

Default Gambling question

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmoose View Post
I think there's guys on here wanting to take advantage of young Mitch, and shame on all of them.

I'm 72 (and don't play anything like I used to either), but in all fairness (just lookin for a fair game) I think just two balls would be enough for me, Mitch. Maybe even just one ball and the breaks if I can get some of those odds you were giving your buddy, the other old man you were robbing.

Looking forward to a great time in Philly in a couple of weeks.

Should be a great time 👍
Old 05-21-2019, 08:19 PM
Verified Member

for my education
i understand
dont stick your nose into someone elses business
but
if you are betting on the side ........it is your business
so
what is proper behavior for a railbird???
educate me......thanks.....
Old 05-21-2019, 08:57 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
for my education
i understand
dont stick your nose into someone elses business
but
if you are betting on the side ........it is your business
so
what is proper behavior for a railbird???
educate me......thanks.....
Hey Larry.....

I think on this subject that when one is betting on the side, he is betting on his horse and on anything and everything his horse does or doesn't do.

Unless asked by the guy he is betting against, he is not free to intercede in any way or express an opinion. To do otherwise requires one to draw a line somewhere as to what things the railbird can and cannot say or do. As this thread has demonstrated, we all draw the line in different places, and could never cover all possibilities beforehand, which will always lead to disagreements.

If you are the railbird and your horse misses calling a foul on the opponent, you are not free to yell out "foul". And if you don't, what are you going to do, not pay the bet if your horse loses. That can not possibly work, railbirds that bet on the side have to live with the results as decided between the two players.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:04 PM
Verified Member

railbirds will frequently say things about a game and even point out missed fouls. thats life folks . and if i was betting and my man missed seeing a foul i would say something. its my money and the opponent accepted my bet which means i am part of the game. but not to the point i can help with shots.
some would not agree with the last point and i wouldnt if it was going agasint me. when you gamble you make decisions on what is best for you up to a point..
Old 05-21-2019, 09:36 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
railbirds will frequently say things about a game and even point out missed fouls. thats life folks . and if i was betting and my man missed seeing a foul i would say something. its my money and the opponent accepted my bet which means i am part of the game. but not to the point i can help with shots.
some would not agree with the last point and i wouldnt if it was going agasint me. when you gamble you make decisions on what is best for you up to a point..
Beatle

I think you normally say things that I agree with, but I guess not this time. The mere fact that you have a side bet, could be with me or could be with another railbird, doesn't make you part of the game in any way. I don't see how you can draw the line between calling out a foul from the rail and helping your man with a shot.

You point out the obvious contradiction and hypocrisy of your position when you say you could be on both sides of this fence depending your personal interests. No advice or answer supporting both sides, based on only your personal interest can be valid.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:30 PM
Verified Member

i do agree with you it isnt really right. but i still must protect my interests. and you shouldnt side bet if you want the bettor to remain mum if he sees a situation detrimental to his bet that he can change.
that how i can get on both sides of the fence. after all i dont play by marcus of queensbury rules i play to win and use most techniques i can that i can get away with that are within a digestible realm.

there still has to be a point where it is entirely correct to intercede. like when the opponent makes a ball in your players pocket and puts it in his unseen. should the side bettor just take that. i dont think so.

what do the others think on this?
Old 05-21-2019, 10:52 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmoose View Post
Hey Larry.....

I think on this subject that when one is betting on the side, he is betting on his horse and on anything and everything his horse does or doesn't do.

Unless asked by the guy he is betting against, he is not free to intercede in any way or express an opinion. To do otherwise requires one to draw a line somewhere as to what things the railbird can and cannot say or do. As this thread has demonstrated, we all draw the line in different places, and could never cover all possibilities beforehand, which will always lead to disagreements.

If you are the railbird and your horse misses calling a foul on the opponent, you are not free to yell out "foul". And if you don't, what are you going to do, not pay the bet if your horse loses. That can not possibly work, railbirds that bet on the side have to live with the results as decided between the two players.
Where this also gets real dicey is when you have several railbirds who are side betting or a heavy home field advantage. You just cant have a bunch a people yelling bad hit or double hit even though it happens. I dont exactly poll the crowd if I'm playing
Old 05-21-2019, 11:00 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
i do agree with you it isnt really right. but i still must protect my interests. and you shouldnt side bet if you want the bettor to remain mum if he sees a situation detrimental to his bet that he can change.
that how i can get on both sides of the fence. after all i dont play by marcus of queensbury rules i play to win and use most techniques i can that i can get away with that are within a digestible realm.

there still has to be a point where it is entirely correct to intercede. like when the opponent makes a ball in your players pocket and puts it in his unseen. should the side bettor just take that. i dont think so.

If your bet is with the other side directly, I say you're on the inside and can advise re: sleepers and fouls. But you can't ever coach unless that's part of the agreement. If wagering with another railbird, then no alerting players to sleepers or fouls either.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:36 PM
Verified Member

Rail birds have NO SAY in the game whether they are side betting or not. Same goes for those who stream. No comments, period.
I went to Chicago with the famous JR Hendy. Of course I had money in the game and I took all side bets. This was when the infamous Ghost asked for a second match. The only time I said anything about the game was when got back to our AirBNB. Then we talked strategy. Side bettors have no say in the game.
As far as Mitch, he torched me in MS, IND, CA giving me what should have been a lock for me. I can blame being hurt, getting old, blind, etc, but the MF is playing very sporty. No safety is safe.
MITCH THE BEAST, you playing good.
10-7 the breaks and first shot. Iím betting the proceeds from last years pot winnings. I know betting it up does not bother you.
BTW, your buddy bit on the wrong sucker.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:40 PM
Verified Member

Quote:

I do see your point, although I think the norm on this question is the side railbird better has no voice and no part in the game whatsoever. unless he is asked by the opponent. I could accept a bet from a railbird if it was made known up front that he will intercede on behalf of his horse on certain calls and express his opinion, maybe..........

However, the problem even with this understanding is he can have no vote in a dispute, because of his personal interest. I cannot accept that with a disputed call it will be two against one. Disputes will have to be resolved some other way and he must abide by the decision.