Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Verified Member

Default New players

People getting started. What do you do to improve. Improve meaning understanding what to do. Your stroke, speed, etc. How are you doing compared to 6months ago, 1year? I'm just curious and making conversation. I realize there is no substitute for playing stronger players. Are you at the same level? Have you bumped up somewhat. I'm happy where I'm at considering I have not played many experienced players but I will start this Spring/Summer. I have long way to go and not in hurry. 1P is never ending fun. I'll do the best I can and enjoy the journey for now.

Last edited by GoldCrown; 03-27-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCrown View Post
People getting started. What do you do to improve. Improve meaning understanding what to do. Your stroke, speed, etc. How are you doing compared to 6months ago, 1year? I'm just curious and making conversation. I realize there is no substitute for playing stronger players. Are you at the same level? Have you bumped up somewhat. I'm happy where I'm at considering I have not played many experienced players but I will start this Spring/Summer. I have long way to go and not in hurry. 1P is never ending fun. I'll do the best I can and enjoy the journey for now.
Watch the best players that you can, and play as much as you can. If you can find one or two good sparring partners for you it helps a lot.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:00 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
Watch the best players that you can, and play as much as you can. If you can find one or two good sparring partners for you it helps a lot.
Thanks Steve. I'm curious how other newbies are progressing and what they are doing. I'm learning from DVD's, YouTube, 1P.org and Controlled Aggression. However I have only x-amount of shooting skills. Constantly have to work on my stroke, pocketing balls and controlling that white thing. I had a few 8outs and that is encouraging....also had plenty of easy shot misses causing a sell out and personal embarrassment. I'd like to hear from newbies how they are doing.
I'm strictly recreational for now.
No $$ or tourneys for the moment unless I can stick within my class. I'll be back in Pa in few weeks. I will have the opportunity to play a few very good level players.

Forgot to mention....My OnePocket.Org T shirt helps...and it literally has 1Pocket
Old 03-27-2016, 10:45 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Thanks Steve. I'm curious how other newbies are progressing and what they are doing. I'm learning from DVD's, YouTube, 1P.org and Controlled Aggression. However I have only x-amount of shooting skills. Constantly have to work on my stroke, pocketing balls and controlling that white thing. I had a few 8outs and that is encouraging....also had plenty of easy shot misses causing a sell out and personal embarrassment. I'd like to hear from newbies how they are doing.
No $$ or tourneys for the moment unless I can stick within my class. I'll be back in Pa in few weeks. I will have the opportunity to play a few very good level players.

Forgot to mention....My OnePocket.Org T shirt helps...and it literally has 1Pocket
Main thing GC is to fan the passion, keep the flame burning brightly. There is no substitute for true enjoyment of the game. if you seek wisdom and knowledge in all the spots you have mentioned, you will improve the mental part of your game.

The shooting part needs actual experience at the table. Not just banging the balls around and practicing poor technique, that will accomplish nothing and will eventually lead to apathy and loss of passion.

Take some lessons from a good teacher, one who is a proven purveyor of the game of one pocket and knows how to instill in his pupils the basic fundamentals of a sound stroke. Learn the basics first, then practice them everyday that you go to the table. After a time at practicing the proper technique, you will see improvement in your skill set, and like you said, there is no rush, you have the rest of your life to get better at the game.

Have fun.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:52 PM
Verified Member

Gold crown I have been at this game for 15 months now. I am probably 3 balls stronger than I was 8 months ago. That improvement comes from reading here, controlled aggression, and watching a ton of videos. i also stay in action against both better and lesser players, there is a benefit to both in my opinion. Learn moves from the better player and use matches with weaker players as a testing ground.

I also now have table in my basement that I practice pocketing, CB control, banking, and position play. If I run into a particularly difficult situation in a game I will make note of it and replicate at home for further study/practice.

Issues that I continue to deal with are....
Continue building my internal shot library
Controlling my aggression
Not playing when....
I am tired
Frustrated from a bad day in the office
Low on fuel....food!
These are hard for me because I always want to play!

Hardmix
Old 03-27-2016, 11:06 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardmix View Post
Gold crown I have been at this game for 15 months now. I am probably 3 balls stronger than I was 8 months ago. That improvement comes from reading here, controlled aggression, and watching a ton of videos. i also stay in action against both better and lesser players, there is a benefit to both in my opinion. Learn moves from the better player and use matches with weaker players as a testing ground.

I also now have table in my basement that I practice pocketing, CB control, banking, and position play. If I run into a particularly difficult situation in a game I will make note of it and replicate at home for further study/practice.

Issues that I continue to deal with are....
Continue building my internal shot library
Controlling my aggression
Not playing when....
I am tired
Frustrated from a bad day in the office
Low on fuel....food!
These are hard for me because I always want to play!

Hardmix
Thanks HM. My biggest problem currently is playing the same weaker people repeatedly. I do experiment with them...it only helps. Experimenting causes sell out sometimes....The funny thing is they think they won. That does not bother me. What does hurt is I cannot learn anything from them. And it's very interesting watching them take the obviously wrong shots. Sounds like you're on track. Nice to hear you're getting stronger. The beauty is it only gets better. And those good days are a pretty thing. Pool is addictive. It calls us. If pool is a disease OnePocket is the plague.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:23 PM
Verified Member

if you are stuck playing weaker players for practice only then focus on getting something out of it. Go into every session with a agenda and stick to it. Also watch all of your opponents shots. Even though they are choosing the wrong ones you might see a very different outcome than expected. I have learned several new shots this way.

If you are ever in the Atlanta area look me up

Hardmix
Old 03-28-2016, 12:00 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff sparks View Post
Main thing GC is to fan the passion, keep the flame burning brightly. There is no substitute for true enjoyment of the game. if you seek wisdom and knowledge in all the spots you have mentioned, you will improve the mental part of your game.

Take some lessons from a good teacher, one who is a proven purveyor of the game of one pocket and knows how to instill in his pupils the basic fundamentals of a sound stroke.
Have fun.
I have the pleasure and honor of Mr Controlled Aggression helping me. Tom has given me a lot to work with. I have not been to any pool rooms to discover my strengths/weaknesses but I will be able to shortly. There are a few players rooms in my area in Pa. I can find a game.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Well it is true, there is no denying that no matter how smart you are about One Pocket, ultimately it is still a pool game and you win by good execution of shots and safeties. If you want something to just help with your general pool pocketing, position, kicking and safety play, I would suggest looking into American Rotation if there is a session near you -- for in between your One Pocket
Old 03-28-2016, 08:26 AM
Verified Member

When I first started playing there was no such thing as a book on one pocket. If I wanted to learn these available books should do the trick.
no link....