Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2019, 10:48 PM
Verified Member

Default Wwyd - A COLD Roll

So when Kybanks and I were playing, the score was 7-6 me. I’m not sure but I know that I had a ball right by my hole and I believe Kaelin tried to pocket his 5 ball while taking the 10 out of my pocket. He hung his 5 DEEP in the pocket and my 10 never left the area. The cue ball went up table and was on the way back down to give me a shot at my out ball in front of my hole. Life was good....

Until the cue ball stopped... FROZEN to the point of the side pocket where I could not see the 5 or my 10 ball!!! (It was deeper than the picture shows)

Now... I couldn’t take a foul because the ball being frozen to the point.. in derby rules if I were to take a foul by tapping the cue ball that would be unsportsmanlike and an automatic loss. Even though it wasn’t a tournament match I thought it was the right thing to do to go by the rules of the venue. The 5 was so deep that it was very tough to hit and even if I sank it I would sell out a bank on the 10 for him to win the game. Also the cue was so frozen that the only angle on the kick for the 5 was the two railer.

I was about to win the game. What are the chances of Jojo freezing there!! Ugggghhhh. Hahhaha.

I ended up trying to kick the 5 hard enough to bring the cue uptable afterwards so he wouldn’t have an easy bank on the 10. The 5 being so deep I missed it by about an inch or two. Ball now spots. He sinks the 5 and comes around for the freebie on the spot. Cold roll lol.

Edit: I considered the 3 rail kick at the 10 but I was just guessing on those diamonds so I ruled that out also.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:05 PM
Verified Member

That was a epic roll....well done Kybanks!
Old 02-05-2019, 04:57 AM
Verified Member

I do not think of anything as a bad roll. That will (usually) adversely affect your decision because now you have an excuse to lose (you got unlucky). Having an excuse to lose is rule #1 no-no in sports psychology. Just come to the table. Done. It really is not hard as it sounds.

I did not know there was a rule like that at Derby. That is interesting. That is cool you went by venue rules by the way. I wonder what the criteria are to objectively decide if it is unsportsmanlike. Whatever the criteria I do not care, that is better than the current rule of just tap tap fouls which is completely ridiculous in a professional cueing game. So good on Derby for doing something. Why aren't there like 10 million complaint comments in here, as is the case when a rule change gets proposed in here?

Notice, they changed something in one pocket! Yet, the sky is not falling, is it. The really interesting part is this is actually one of the big arguments against rule changes... "what if I get corner hooked and I can't take 8 scratches in a row... how ludicrous."

Last edited by El Chapo; 02-05-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:00 AM
Verified Member

i think you shot the right shot by trying to 2 rail kick my 5 in
Old 02-05-2019, 05:07 AM
Verified Member

I think I would have played to spin in a one rail scratch. It is hard to know without knowing what you could see. I think you gotta be able to see right near the middle diamond on the rail you need to hit though. The one rail shot is so much easier to gauge.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:35 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
I think I would have played to spin in a one rail scratch. It is hard to know without knowing what you could see. I think you gotta be able to see right near the middle diamond on the rail you need to hit though. The one rail shot is so much easier to gauge.

Had to go uptable. Cue was so frozen I couldn’t see any of the 1 railer. Only the opposite side pocket.

Also- I like your idea on there is no “Bad roll”. Makes perfect sense. Thanks. 👍
Old 02-05-2019, 07:36 AM
Administrator

I did not know there was a rule like that at the DCC either. Generally as long as you use the tip of your cue, and a legal forward touch -- even if it is a micro touch, but without pinning or pushing the cue ball, it would be considered a legal intentional foul -- just like rolling out to a spot anywhere else on the table??? I can't believe the Derby would take that away from you. Now, the taps with the ferule, or downward touch with the tip even, those would be considered illegal by our rules anyway, punishable as "unsportsmanlike" as you said.

I see where you got that here under Games:
https://derbycityclassic.com/the-games/
Quote:
Trapping or Wedging the Cue Ball

It is a foul if you deliberately trap or wedge the cue ball in the jaw of the pocket. In addition to the foul penalty, your opponent receives cue ball in hand behind the head string.
But they also say in the next rule down:
Quote:
Deliberate Cue Ball Foul

If you wish to take a deliberate cue ball foul, you must use your cue tip to strike the cue ball. If you strike the cue ball with anything other than the cue tip, in addition to the foul penalty, your opponent receives cue ball in hand behind the head string.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:59 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
I did not know there was a rule like that at the DCC either. Generally as long as you use the tip of your cue, and a legal forward touch -- even if it is a micro touch, but without pinning or pushing the cue ball, it would be considered a legal intentional foul -- just like rolling out to a spot anywhere else on the table??? I can't believe the Derby would take that away from you. Now, the taps with the ferule, or downward touch with the tip even, those would be considered illegal by our rules anyway, punishable as "unsportsmanlike" as you said.

I see where you got that here under Games:

https://derbycityclassic.com/the-games/

But they also say in the next rule down:

My concern was that because the cue was frozen to the rail, even a tap with the tip would have been “Freezing” the cue to the rail. In hindsight, I could have tapped the cue from directly above and taken a foul that way. Duh. If I had it to do over that’s what I would do.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:51 AM
Verified Member

O. M. G.

I don't know why you fellas from Philly don't just say "nice shot" to your opponant after a well executed shot like that? LOL

Thanks for taking the time to share that chilly roll (for you).

Dave
Old 02-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Suspended

This is what "I" would do in this spot!

Attachment 24007

Last edited by mr3cushion; 04-03-2019 at 12:21 PM.