Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2019, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wirth View Post
Bill, I don't know that I can ad anything of value to what already has been said here. Thank you for asking for my opinion though.
Just this; Most shots I just "see" the hit point on the ball. This is far easier to do if I've been playing consistently day in and day out for several days several hours each day. I rarely do that anymore and as a result I have many near misses. That's when I must resort to sectional aiming on shots which I fail to recognize the precise hit point. Unfortunately that system is somewhat flawed in my case.

There is nothing like having a straight stroke and playing hours upon hours of pool every day if you wish to pocket balls consistently. I know of no better way.

BTW. I remember Grady saying he had a few shots that he consistently missed a certain way. He would make a conscious effort to adjust his aim to compensate for the tendency. I've used that technique here and there and though it's not ideal it improved my percentages on those particular shots.

This probably didn't help but it is the way I see it.

Tom
Whenever I notice that I am consistently missing a shot, I *start* to feel like there is hope for that shot, because I assume it is something I can figure out and correct. But damn, figuring out what is wrong can be impossible!!

Right now for example, if I have an object ball close to the rail and I want to draw or stun the cue ball -- so I have to jack up significantly -- from the right side of the table (say between around the side pocket and up to the head-string on that side of the table), cutting a ball to my left into the lower left corner pocket diagonally opposite, I friggin overcut that shot every damn time, and no matter what I try I cannot seem to get a grip on it lol.

Is it the tilt of my head looking through my glasses? Is it that my arm leans and throws off my stroke? Is it that I am inadvertently using english that is throwing the ball (some extra throw because of the jacked-up hit)? Or a combination of these???? Who the heck knows. Maybe if I had a good instructor watch me they would see something.... In the meantime I dread those shots lol
Old 05-17-2019, 07:23 PM
Verified Member

Well, I saw my eye doctor today and and Monday morning I will see the cornea guy and presumably I will have a cornea transplant soon after. So, I may not miss any more shots for a while. Wearing an eye patch now, like a pirate. Sort of a relief, in a way. At least something is happening.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:56 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapros View Post
Well, I saw my eye doctor today and and Monday morning I will see the cornea guy and presumably I will have a cornea transplant soon after. So, I may not miss any more shots for a while. Wearing an eye patch now, like a pirate. Sort of a relief, in a way. At least something is happening.
Best of luck with your procedure.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:17 PM
Verified Member

Thumbs up

Bill, Here's hoping your cornea transplant is a huge success.

Kudos to your literary talent. I really enjoy your journal entries.

Would really like to see all of you at Buffalo's, but cannot make it.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:22 AM
Verified Member

hope your procedure goes smoothly bill and your vision is like a 20 year old...
Old 05-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Verified Member

Cornea transplant next Tuesday, on the 28th. I told the doctor that if they did not have a cadaver-donor I could put him in touch with a guy who could arrange for one. He said they might have one in the fridge.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:30 PM
Verified Member

I never was a good ball striker but I know one when I see one. The best ball strikers IMO have the best alignment. Their foot work and body alignment is perfect. In fact all the Striking The Ball Games be it baseball, golf, ping pong and etc. require good footwork and alignment. The first time I saw Keith play it was his alignment that amazed me. He is the only person I know who could play so well and one stroke the cueball. Sure he knew where to hit the object ball but that wouldn't happen if the rest of his body wasn't ready as well. Good thread.