Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 HOLE NUT View Post
It is hard to argue with someone that does so well in both tournaments, and gambling, but i have never had the mental make up to really practice the right way, so my only other way i believe is putting that pressure of losing your dough to make you, focus on what you have to do to get better. I'm always broke so i must be getting better right??
Best practice is to play a better player
Old 05-20-2019, 04:24 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 HOLE NUT View Post
It is hard to argue with someone that does so well in both tournaments, and gambling, but i have never had the mental make up to really practice the right way, so my only other way i believe is putting that pressure of losing your dough to make you, focus on what you have to do to get better. I'm always broke so i must be getting better right??
Jason I get beat up all the time gambling as well as being sent home early in tournaments, it happens to everyone. That said, for some players staying in acton is all they need and others require a diet of practice and action. Unfortunately I fall into the later group.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Runnels View Post
Bet what you can stand to lose.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:31 PM
Verified Member

Default Hardmix

Me too...

B
Old 05-20-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgcp View Post
Me too...

B
I have that same problem. Guess itís a part of getting old. Lol
Old 05-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
No doubt this is true. I would also add that itís beneficial to play opponents with different styles than your own.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:49 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
I believe that the best practice is to play a better player... but there is more to it. When you compete against a superior player it is paramount that you attentively observe the skills which make him a better player.

For instance, if it's shot selection or score management it is not necessary to practice these skills but to actually compete to gain the understanding of what shots to shoot and when to shoot. However, if it's multiple rail bank shots, kicking at object balls, or caroming the cue ball into the rack to leave your opponent without a makeable shot to name just a few... these shots must be put to practice. Just having the knowledge that your opponent can execute these shots is of no value to you until you put it into practice. And how long do you practice these shots... that would depend on how much you like your money.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:51 PM
Administrator

I have to practice a little or I swear I forget everything I thought I knew about basic ball pocketing lol.

But I much prefer competition for sure! Only competition can get me the "high" from making a genuine good creative shot that turns or wins a game. That is what I play for even more than the $$.

And it is good to play players that you really have to play hard to win. So about even or a little better if you want to push yourself to improve -- to the degree that you can afford it of course
Old 05-20-2019, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
I believe that the best practice is to play a better player... but there is more to it. When you compete against a superior player it is paramount that you attentively observe the skills which make him a better player.

For instance, if it's shot selection or score management it is not necessary to practice these skills but to actually compete to gain the understanding of what shots to shoot and when to shoot. However, if it's multiple rail bank shots, kicking at object balls, or caroming the cue ball into the rack to leave your opponent without a makeable shot to name just a few... these shots must be put to practice. Just having the knowledge that your opponent can execute these shots is of no value to you until you put it into practice. And how long do you practice these shots... that would depend on how much you like your money.
... and how long you can maintain good concentration when practicing. Because if you find yourself slipping into sloppy practice, in my opinion, bad practice is worse than no practice at all.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:10 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
... and how long you can maintain good concentration when practicing. Because if you find yourself slipping into sloppy practice, in my opinion, bad practice is worse than no practice at all.
I would assume if you find yourself having a "sloppy" (bad practice) session then your mindfulness to the repetition and improvement (performance skills) of specific pool shots is at issue. How many times has the question been raised, "What is the secret to playing great pool?" I maintain that the answer is "practice, practice, and practice." And through practice, we gain confidence and ultimately success.

What do you do when your playing an opponent for some green and you lose repeatedly? Ordinarily, the losing player becomes noticeably "sloppy" in his thinking and execution of shots. The losing player has lost his "mindfulness."
If the losing player cannot refocus with concentrated attention on every shot, then he should quit the game. The same with practice. Although pool tables are on four legs, they never walk away. Today's bad will be tomorrow's good.