Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2019, 01:18 PM
Verified Member

I like the Allen Iverson approach: "Practice, practice we're spending our time talking about practice."
Old 05-21-2019, 08:57 PM
Verified Member

my 2 cents
worth less than that...
practice vs play to me has to do with where you are at with your skill level
if you are still working on your stroke and fundamentals
you need more practice and lessons
if you think your stroke is where it needs to be
you need to play and work on what loses you games
jmho
icbw
Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 PM
Verified Member

I think practice is no substitute for competing and gambling. If your goal is to play, say 4 or 5 hours a day, and do that 3 or 4 days a week, you will be happier with your game if that time was spent competing and gambling rather than practicing.

Particularly so with OP because the game is won not just by pocketing balls. Like in horseshoes, close counts. And moving and defense can play a great role in your overall success.

The fact that I hate practicing has nothing to do with this testimony, I promise.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:12 PM

Very well said I agree 100 percent what good is knowing strategy if you canít excute you will never win!
Old 05-22-2019, 02:05 PM

Some people play really well without practicing. Others Iíve seen that say they never practice...they play well in spurts but they have no consistency and still refuse lol.

I practice a lot myself and I think that a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio is perfect for me, unfortunately I donít get that much action and itís more like 8 to 1 practice time and I start to get frustrated and bored...then when I do play someone good it can be hard to get in stroke if I donít jump right out ahead because Iím so used to long sessions where Iím always at the table.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:59 PM
Verified Member

For me I would think it would depend upon what you want to achieve, what are your goals, who are you playing and what is their level.
For me, I started late @ 18, so I was way behind in years played as compared to McCready, Cole, Keith Thompson, Ernesto and the like, the child proteges, so I had to really practice.
I practice 7 hrs. a day and then went out at night to match up. So I probably practiced anywhere from 14 - 20 hrs. for every 1 hr of matching up. I practiced all disciplines of pool: straight pool, banks, one pocket, and nine ball.

I got lucky, for as Luther Lassiter stated; "if you want to get good at pool, practice on a 5 x 10"! That was always my table of choice.

Other than that I can not add to the already good advise the posters have offered up! Good Luck! Whitey
Old 05-23-2019, 03:03 PM
Verified Member

Practice is like dieting to me.

I really really really want to do it, but never actually try it.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:09 PM
Verified Member

I dont practice but I like to try different kinds of one pocket shots once in a while to see how the balls react.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:34 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFats View Post
Practice is like dieting to me.

I really really really want to do it, but never actually try it.
Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into. As others have mentioned, just banging balls around is not productive. For me, its more than that, it is destructive to many of the things that I work on. PSR, head position, stroke, etc...

I would challenge any player that chooses action only to identify 2 areas of your game that need improvement. Find a drill on youtube or anywhere on the internet that addresses your specific issue and schedule just one 30 min practice session. If you start getting distracted work on the 2nd drill. If you are still distracted, go get a drink and relax for a few minutes and come back to it. The idea is to practice with purpose.

I expect you will see a improvement in the area you are working with just ONE session and it my even help you win your next session
Old 05-23-2019, 07:42 PM
Verified Member

I only practice. Almost never get to play until I get out to one of our member events. Canada is not the land of One Hole. I generally play against myself and sometimes challenge myself like how many I can make from after the break (DCC style).

Nick B

Name: Nick Beretanos