JR Hendy Tournament Report

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
It’s not very often something you look forward to as much as I did this tournament exceeds your expectations, but this gathering of one pocket players did.

Thanks to Chris Swart and staff for hosting and making everyone feel welcome. Now you guys know why I drive down 2 1/2 hours as often as I can to play at California Billiards.

I tried to have some fun with the players auction and thanks to all the players we built up a nice little pot for the top six finishers to share. Every player was covered for at least $50.

It was nice to see Kentucky Bill back in action again. When he was not in action he was eating chocolate cake at the Doubletree. Quite a few of the players mixed it up when they were not in the tournament.

I tried to interact with as many players as possible, but missed a few. I think I got my roomie, Col Bille and Mitch Knuckles, hooked on golf and learned a new game myself thanks to Mitch Brown. Frank the Barber, Bill Meacham and I go back as friendly competitors around 50 years. They will be my roomies at the seniors tournament next October in Houston. Our own local tournament director, Bee Davison, had a nice tournament showing he can play as well as direct. It was nice to see Jay Helfert competing again and if anybody has as much fun playing as I do, it is Nick B from Canada.

As far as the tournament itself, the West Coast Players made a good showing and the Pilot and Baby Huey (Who I have known since he was a teenager) outlasted everyone else in a grueling match where neither player folded. My own tournament could have been better. I misplaced my cue and played my first match against Lee Wallick with my snooker cue. Lee had me down 2/0, playing very well, but I came back and won the match. They found my cue during my next match with my roomie in Chicago, Tom Wirth. Tom got revenge for me sneaking by him in Chicago, and even though I got my cue back, I had no chance in this match the way Tom played. Finally, my old friend Frank The Barber polished me off. It was fairly close, and Frank played well in his next match with Jerry Matchin, but also exited the tournament earlier than expected.

As far as action, I think I came out around even. Two players originally from DC who also go back a long way, Tom Wirth and Jakie (Nick) nabbed me for a few bucks playing one pocket. If it wasn’t for the golf game and Mitch Brown teaching:lol me back pocket nine ball and one ball one pocket, I would have gone home stuck. Thank you Mitch, you are fun to play against, an animated player who has fun and will bet. My turn to teach you golf next time.:D

This was a tournament that was great because a bunch of good people got together and made it happen. It was nice to meet the wives and significant others who also came along to share the experience and brighten up the room. We really missed Matt and Lizz, not only for their organizing abilities to keep thing running smoothly, but because they also bring a lot of energy along with themselves.

Thanks to everyone, can’t wait for the next one.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
great report john
sounds like mitch is a good teacher....:D
and you are a great student...:)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
JR Hendy Tournament Report

great report john

sounds like mitch is a good teacher....:D

and you are a great student...:)

Guy learns too quickly 😂😂.

Great report John. Thanks. Your road stories when we were out to breakfast were a real highlight for me. Look forward to next time.

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Tournament Report

Tournament Report

Great summary John. Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet all of the players personally. I don't know if we would have the time or the venue, but it would have been nice for all of us to go out for dinner together and introduce ourselves to all. You did a bang up job at the player's auction. You seem to know almost everyone.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
JOhn,

You are always the life of the party, thanks for that. And thank you for everything you did to make this tourney successful. You truly are the man!

Dave

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
JOhn,

You are always the life of the party, thanks for that. And thank you for everything you did to make this tourney succesful. You truly are the man!

Dave

Thanks Dave, always good to see you and I forgot to mention how impressive your play was. Third in this field was an accomplishment. No more just 5/6th for you.:D

jay helfert

Verified Member
Thanks for all you did to make this tournament a success John. I think you got a little distracted taking care of things and it may have affected your pool game. IMO you were one of the favorites to win and you might have if you weren't so busy taking care of us senior citizens. I really do appreciate the ride from the San Jose airport! I'll see you back up there next month. Bringing my road buddy Dennis along just in case there's a little action. :rolleyes:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Thanks Dave, always good to see you and I forgot to mention how impressive your play was. Third in this field was an accomplishment. No more just 5/6th for you.:D

hahahaha Thanks for the compliment, John. I had one exeptional match that was on the stream. I hope others know that is not my norm and will still spot me. And remember, I finished 6th as you finished 5th at the Jointed Cue so many years ago.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
It’s not very often something you look forward to as much as I did this tournament exceeds your expectations, but this gathering of one pocket players did.

Thanks to Chris Swart and staff for hosting and making everyone feel welcome. Now you guys know why I drive down 2 1/2 hours as often as I can to play at California Billiards.

I tried to have some fun with the players auction and thanks to all the players we built up a nice little pot for the top six finishers to share. Every player was covered for at least $50.

It was nice to see Kentucky Bill back in action again. When he was not in action he was eating chocolate cake at the Doubletree. Quite a few of the players mixed it up when they were not in the tournament.

I tried to interact with as many players as possible, but missed a few. I think I got my roomie, Col Bille and Mitch Knuckles, hooked on golf and learned a new game myself thanks to Mitch Brown. Frank the Barber, Bill Meacham and I go back as friendly competitors around 50 years. They will be my roomies at the seniors tournament next October in Houston. Our own local tournament director, Bee Davison, had a nice tournament showing he can play as well as direct. It was nice to see Jay Helfert competing again and if anybody has as much fun playing as I do, it is Nick B from Canada.

As far as the tournament itself, the West Coast Players made a good showing and the Pilot and Baby Huey (Who I have known since he was a teenager) outlasted everyone else in a grueling match where neither player folded. My own tournament could have been better. I misplaced my cue and played my first match against Lee Wallick with my snooker cue. Lee had me down 2/0, playing very well, but I came back and won the match. They found my cue during my next match with my roomie in Chicago, Tom Wirth. Tom got revenge for me sneaking by him in Chicago, and even though I got my cue back, I had no chance in this match the way Tom played. Finally, my old friend Frank The Barber polished me off. It was fairly close, and Frank played well in his next match with Jerry Matchin, but also exited the tournament earlier than expected.

As far as action, I think I came out around even. Two players originally from DC who also go back a long way, Tom Wirth and Jakie (Nick) nabbed me for a few bucks playing one pocket. If it wasn’t for the golf game and Mitch Brown teaching:lol me back pocket nine ball and one ball one pocket, I would have gone home stuck. Thank you Mitch, you are fun to play against, an animated player who has fun and will bet. My turn to teach you golf next time.:D

This was a tournament that was great because a bunch of good people got together and made it happen. It was nice to meet the wives and significant others who also came along to share the experience and brighten up the room. We really missed Matt and Lizz, not only for their organizing abilities to keep thing running smoothly, but because they also bring a lot of energy along with themselves.

Thanks to everyone, can’t wait for the next one.

The nearly full field and smooth sailing of this tournament has everything to do with you John, thanks again!!!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
hahahaha Thanks for the compliment, John. I had one exeptional match that was on the stream. I hope others know that is not my norm and will still spot me. And remember, I finished 6th as you finished 5th at the Jointed Cue so many years ago.

Same thing last year in Chicago.:D

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
One time JOHN and I were in the backwoods of Kentucky and we went into this little store to buy gifts for our better others. We put on we were “together” and this woman never blinked. That’s nice she said.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Sorry I'm missed your report John, I am sure I missed a few other threads too, sorry been busy!

I was really hoping to make it out there not only for all the reasons we all want to go but also to get schooled in some golf! :)

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Sorry I'm missed your report John, I am sure I missed a few other threads too, sorry been busy!

I was really hoping to make it out there not only for all the reasons we all want to go but also to get schooled in some golf! :)

I was pretty busy, playing in the tournament (Briefly) and running the tournament board with Col Bille, but did get a little golf in. I will be back there for the West Coast Swing on July 5th and will probably get to play some more.