Laying down the lemon

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Some one mentioned Marino wasn't a Lemon player, if you were a hustler back in the day, you really needed to learn the Lemon or you weren't gonna make a living, lol.

Every foreign pool room or nightclub I played I never brought my A game forward, only when I had to!

I played a club in Atlanta Georgia called the Chicken Haven, won between 680 and 730 on a bar table.

It was 1969 and I was a devastating predator of shortstops in bars and pool rooms.

This story is in my book if I decide to publish it one day and is also in Alfie Taylors book, (THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD), GOOD BOOK.

I was 17 yrs. old and a road warrior, I had challenged the bar table, which had about 5 or 6 quarters in front of me and most all the players were playing 5 dollar 9 ball.

When my time came up, I kept the table the rest of the night and absolutely nobody quit!

Never did I pump the bet, they did and we played ten a game for the rest of the night.

The whole evening of pool, nobody ran a rack of nine ball on that bar table including me, even though most of the guys that were playing were capable, they just couldn't seem to do it.

If they weren't gonna do it, neither was I, LOL.

I made sure every one of my opponents had a decent shot early in the game and I would wait for my chance later and it worked every time.

One of my easiest scores back then.

But myself, my life long friend Bobby Taylor and Alfie had a bad night when we left.

Couple of creeps decided to rob us and wound up cutting Bobby's face open in the parking lot.

We rushed Bobby to the hospital and the DOC there did a wonderful job on Bobby's face and in a short time his face was perfect!

Scared all of us, that is the life of a hustler, it's not always fun!

Even when I hustled major pool rooms I only brought my game up to the competition and when someone brought a solid nine ball game to the table I was in hog heaven.

Not that I was the top niner back in the day but I loved playing nine ball and wanted to be the king at it! I would have been if it wasn't for about a dozen or so of Incardona's and Tall Jeff's, lol.

Most hustlers never get to show off there top end nine ball game unless you were matching up with the big guns at a major action pool room in Frisco, L.A., back East or Houston/Dallas.

The top ten or twenty niners back in the day, you couldn't put daylight between their games. The player with the most consistent break would eventually win!

After my 18th birthday my nine ball break was starting to come around pretty salty and that made me pretty salty, hahaha.

After Johnston city in 1970, Buddy Hall slipped out to Pasadena with Eddie Burton and tried to trap my brother Tommy (played pretty good nine ball) and myself.

Buddy was beating on my brother pretty hard for ten a game when I walked in.

I shut the game off pretty quick and offered to play Buddy with the 8, didn't get it.

Offered Eddie some even 9 ball, didn't get.

Broke down and played Buddy even 9 ball, had to test him, I was The Mighty Squirrel, LOL.

Lassiter once said to someone if a player missed more than 1 ball per hour he knew he could beat him.

Lassiter wouldn't have wanted to be in this match.

I missed 1 ball in four hours of play, Buddy missed 2 and we broke even.

I ran 6 straight racks on Buddy after he missed the nine the first game!

At 8 games down he ran 6 straight racks on me, at that point in the match I wasn't gonna let him beat me, he was just too good to keep playing.

I quit when he got even, believe me I didn't let him get even, he earned it!

I had no fear back in the day but I did have reason and Buddy, Tall Jeff, Incardona just had too much dam mustard, so be it!

Just like Doc Holiday in the movie Toombstone "I HATE EM". LOL.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
your post reminds me why i no longer gamble in bars--too much $#%^ happens.....and the small amount of money u get isnt even worth the trouble......

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
San Antonio Taylor brothers

San Antonio Taylor brothers

I can't remember ever playing in San Antonio but I have been there once or twice. At 16 yrs. old I started making some lengthy road trips with Bobby Taylor.

He stood by me and my game and we have been friends since childhood.

Two of his brothers were good players, (Alfie and Jack).

Alfie joined myself and Bobby a time or two on the road for a few days once or twice, but I felt pretty good about hustling with the younger Bobby even though he was near 4 yrs. older than me, we got along real well sometimes, LOL.

Also, Bobby could be fun and he knew what he was doing!

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
The Taylor Brothers back in the late Seventies when in San Antonio used to hang around with a late Friend Dale "Blinky" Sutton.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The Taylor Brothers back in the late Seventies when in San Antonio used to hang around with a late Friend Dale "Blinky" Sutton.

Doyle I am going to be spending a lot of time in San Antonio, where or is there any pool there.
Rod.
P.S. Squirrel, sorry for the Hi-jack.

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
Rod, Most of the players from Banana's that is left hang out at G-Cues
3333 West Avenue tel 210-560-1221. Only one pocket action in town. Top-notch tables. You will know some of the players that is left I am sure. My # is 210 363-3326. I will try and stop by while you are in town. My health is going down hill fast. Your Friend, Doyle Trawick

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Rod, Most of the players from Banana's that is left hang out at G-Cues
3333 West Avenue tel 210-560-1221. Only one pocket action in town. Top-notch tables. You will know some of the players that is left I am sure. My # is 210 363-3326. I will try and stop by while you are in town. My health is going down hill fast. Your Friend, Doyle Trawick

Yhanx for the info. hope to see you, Sorry about your health, hope you can toughen up. :)
Your Pal
Rod.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
your post reminds me why i no longer gamble in bars--too much $#%^ happens.....and the small amount of money u get isnt even worth the trouble......

Back then it was allot safer than now, but you still had ta watch the game and your surroundings. Anytime your around allot of alcohol and in the wrong place....keep your eye on the door.

beatle

Verified Member
if you ever runout then you only get to play other runout players. if you never ever runout a game then you get to play and make games with everyone in the poolroom.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Running a six pack back in the day is like running 10 or more today, for we only broke the game to make the 9 and whatever dropped, dropped! So it was harder to put runs together. Rack your own with a magic rack is hard for me to watch! I was talking to Ronnie Allen and he said; "they have just ruined 9-ball"!

Keith, I loved me some 9 -ball too! Great action! Shoot-out, nothing like shooting out and then sticking it to them! What a shooters game. Give me some of that and some pay pool any day.
Just gotta love games that use real racks, spot balls, and has a real ball in hand! Whitey

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Running a six pack back in the day is like running 10 or more today, for we only broke the game to make the 9 and whatever dropped, dropped! So it was harder to put runs together. Rack your own with a magic rack is hard for me to watch! I was talking to Ronnie Allen and he said; "they have just ruined 9-ball"!

Keith, I loved me some 9 -ball too! Great action! Shoot-out, nothing like shooting out and then sticking it to them! What a shooters game. Give me some of that and some pay pool any day.
Just gotta love games that use real racks, spot balls, and has a real ball in hand! Whitey

One thing I've come to realize, I'd much rather watch a great rotation play match than a great snooker inning. Also, I'd rather watch a great 14.1 match. It's fun watching someone run a 147 in snooker but, watching a run of 149 in straight pool then miss and get beat 149-150 now that's neat.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Dennis, I sure agree with your RA quote. Texas Express rules ruined the game of 9-ball. There's way too much luck in the game now. A player's dumb luck leave unfairly punishes the non-shooter. The shoot-out rules encouraged shot making, yet it gave the shooter an option if he couldn't see the full ball.

~Doc
can run 4 balls

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Dennis, I sure agree with your RA quote. Texas Express rules ruined the game of 9-ball. There's way too much luck in the game now. A player's dumb luck leave unfairly punishes the non-shooter. The shoot-out rules encouraged shot making, yet it gave the shooter an option if he couldn't see the full ball.

~Doc
can run 4 balls
Doc, my opinion is similar, but one thing they should do, is allow each player one roll out per rack.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I do not have the answer for today's 9-ball. I mean back in the day when you did a shoot-out then the next shot you went for the ball, now days they would just play a safety if it is there vs. going for the shot.

One thing that is very interesting is when they use a real rack and the opponent racks for the breaker, now that sure brings down the run outs and makes for a much more interesting match.

As an alternative shoot-out; if you make your ball but accidently hook yourself then you can not shoot-out. But if your inning ends and you hooked your opponent then he can shoot-out.

9-ball today has turned into a 3 cushion billiards game. And as Doc pointed out with some blind luck! Do this fabulous kick shot and it turns out smiley like a rose, and you look like a genius, and you can not tell me that sometimes it is just blind luck! But I do enjoy the artistry of it. What I hate is a guy plays poor position and then just taps the ob and does an easy hook, and there is only three balls left on the table, who is going to win? That is where the alternative shoot-out rule could come into play. Whitey

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I do not have the answer for today's 9-ball. I mean back in the day when you did a shoot-out then the next shot you went for the ball, now days they would just play a safety if it is there vs. going for the shot.

One thing that is very interesting is when they use a real rack and the opponent racks for the breaker, now that sure brings down the run outs and makes for a much more interesting match.

As an alternative shoot-out; if you make your ball but accidently hook yourself then you can not shoot-out. But if your inning ends and you hooked your opponent then he can shoot-out.

9-ball today has turned into a 3 cushion billiards game. And as Doc pointed out with some blind luck! Do this fabulous kick shot and it turns out smiley like a rose, and you look like a genius, and you can not tell me that sometimes it is just blind luck! But I do enjoy the artistry of it. What I hate is a guy plays poor position and then just taps the ob and does an easy hook, and there is only three balls left on the table, who is going to win? That is where the alternative shoot-out rule could come into play. Whitey

Dennis your too right. Letting your opponent rack his own rack puts the fox in the henhouse. The job of the racker is to legally place the head ball ''anywhere on the paper''. The rackers job is to give a good rack that won't allow opponent to make balls. If balls are always going in, then I would wet rag the area to reboot the balls channeling. This all legal/fair and what you must do to hopefully win. Sardo rack was the beginning of the template racks. Every template rack only gives the better player an advantage. He remembers ''oh they didn't go last time'' so they also will mover around the paper spot, till they find where they go in. But hey it's broke dick pool players whining and always wanting to win to feel they have the best of it.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Island Dr.
Nicely stated. I've talked to players about racking your own and they agree, not a good idea. But event authority is a different matter. I feel they are more concerned about pushing the matches through, and get her done.

In the day I broke 4hrs of nine daily, and you learn how to hit the rack to make a ball that is not racked properly. For instance; if the corner ball is not froze to the ball behind it, it goes automatic in the corner pocket, if the 2nd ball behind the 1 ball is not froze to the corner ball then it cross side banks, if the two balls behind the 9 have a gap between them then it allows the 9 to go into the corner easier. So how can you rack your own, its to easy to fudge the rack!

Like you said, " the rackers job is to make sure the breaker does not make a ball", wow is this ever important when your giving weight! Whitey