End game situation

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Your pocket is 'A' but the cut down the rail is most definitely a dead scratch in the side. You are playing a pretty good banker and each need just one ball for the win. What do you do?

START(
%AZ6Z3%Pi9W6%QA6[3

)END

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Rail first.

START(
%AZ6Z3%Pi9W6%QA6[3%W^0[2%Xi2W7%Y[8Z7%Z\9[2

)END

Lou Figueroa

NH Steve said:
Your pocket is 'A' but the cut down the rail is most definitely a dead scratch in the side. You are playing a pretty good banker and each need just one ball for the win. What do you do?

START(
%AZ6Z3%Pi9W6%QA6[3

)END

i'll_bust_you

Verified Member
From
miami,fl
end game

end game

I might just duck and wait for a better opportunity...My inexperience is probably glaring, but, I have gotten this far I don't want to sell out now...I don't like rail first because, if poorly struck you invariably leave a bank...

START(
%AZ6Z3%Pi9W6%QA6[3%W\0Y4%Xi2W7%YD0P1%ZZ2Y5%[Y2[4%\Y9Z9%]V5Z9
%^X3[6
)END

loveshiscue

Verified Member
From
Miami, Fl
I'll bust you, wouldnt you be leaving a possible two railer with thinning it and taking the cue ball to the end rail?

If your gonna duck, how about three railing it back uptable on your side and moving whitey down by your opponents hole and waiting for a better opportunity?

loveshiscue

Verified Member
From
Miami, Fl
Btw the nineball player in me is tempted to warp speed this into the corner and play to hit the back side of the side pocket and bounce out onto the table. There doesnt look to be enough angle to even contemplate that shot but I'd thought I'd toss it out anyways.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Every player on earth has a "Long Suit". Mine is kicking balls. I agree with Lou. Rail first. You could even win the game. Ducking doesn't present that possibility and you still could leave it hanging in your pocket and be safe.

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Ike just won a Hill, Hill game with this exact shot. Thats good enough for me!

Ike just won a Hill, Hill game with this exact shot. Thats good enough for me!

START(
%AZ3Z0%Pi8W4%QA6[3%UO7D2%VC5[1%W\0Y6%Xi2W7%YY0X7%ZP1C4%[Y7[2
%\Y7[4%]X6[7%^X3[6%eA2`9%_r3R2%`g2R2%aC3R5%bC8R9%cS3W0%dX0X2
)END

"OF COURSE THATS IKE"

TY & GL

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
What about playing a "titty hook" on the cue ball so your opponent can't even hit the 1. The balls seem to be laying very well for that shot.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well I did play the rail first shot, and I happened to make it :) , but...
When I hit it I thought I over-cut the ball a little, and given the direction the cue ball was headed would probably have left a nice cross-corner for my opponent if it was over-cut. That got me wondering if I just happened to get away with what could be considered a sucker shot.

Seeing what you guys came up with, I like Ike Runnel's shot and look forward to trying that out.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Sucker shot???

Sucker shot???

NH Steve said:
Well I did play the rail first shot, and I happened to make it :) , but...
When I hit it I thought I over-cut the ball a little, and given the direction the cue ball was headed would probably have left a nice cross-corner for my opponent if it was over-cut. That got me wondering if I just happened to get away with what could be considered a sucker shot.

Seeing what you guys came up with, I like Ike Runnel's shot and look forward to trying that out.
Could be, Steve but you are the only one who can say for sure. I think if you have confidence in the shot it's not a sucker shot. I would shoot that shot with a high degree of confidence where another shot that you hit well I might duck.

If you make a shot 99 times out of 100 and miss it that 1 time, to some you will look like a sucker. As long as you know better,,,,,,, who cares?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Bernard Bunny Rogoff

Bernard Bunny Rogoff

This shot depends on the exact position of the ball in the side pocket. Ike's shot is only possible if the ball is far enough out of the pocket so that you can catch the long rail for the 2rail bank. If the ball is positioned where that is not possible, and the cut/scratch is still on, then the best option is the rail first shot. The nearness of the cue ball to the cushion is another determining factor. If the Qbl and the object ball are both almost parallel to the cushion, the shot is better than even money to make via the kick. If the angle becomes too severe, (Qball is much further away from the rail than the object ball) the shot the fellow suggested of bunting the object ball down to the bottom rail and attempting to corner hook the Qbl on the point of the side pocket is another good option. Both shots require concentration and accuracy, but the situation is not a good one to begin with and chances must be taken no matter what. Bernard Bunny Rogoff showed me the rail first shot at the Congres Bowl in Miami in the middle 60s, so it has been around awhile.
the Beard

Voodoo Daddy

Verified Member
From
Davie, FLA
loveshiscue said:
Btw the nineball player in me is tempted to warp speed this into the corner and play to hit the back side of the side pocket and bounce out onto the table.

No way...not you!! :D

Fred Floyd

Verified Member
From
Charlotte, NC
stroke the ball

stroke the ball

This ball can be made in the corner pocket with out banking it. If you use high right english with a slow deliberate stroke you will not scratch in the side pocket. Note: stroke, if you pop the ball you will scratch in the side pocket. An old one pocket player I know taught me this shot after I read this post.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Don't

Don't

Seeing what you guys came up with, I like Ike Runnel's shot and look forward to trying that out.[/QUOTE]

Steve, stick to the kick shot that you shot and made - Ike's shot is not the right shot because the sell-out ratio is way too high, and the likelihood of making the bank very low = On the wei table, the place OHB displayed the cueball ending up at the shots conclusion is incorrect = If you hit the object ball hard enough to bank twice cross-corner to your hole, than the cueball is not going to end up on the bottom rail - it is going to bounce back up to somewhere around mid-table, leaving a cross-corner for your opponent, unless you're lucky enough to actually make the twice cross-corner shot.......However, the two rail bank shot would be an excellent shot only if it's possible to bank the object ball using low right english without getting a kiss, spinning whitey out of the top right corner, back to your pocket's long rail, and then dropping down to rest on the bottom rail.

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
I didn't say I would shoot it.......

I didn't say I would shoot it.......

One Pocket Ghost said:

Steve, stick to the kick shot that you shot and made - Ike's shot is not the right shot because the sell-out ratio is way too high, and the likelihood of making the bank very low = On the wei table, the place OHB displayed the cueball ending up at the shots conclusion is incorrect = If you hit the object ball hard enough to bank twice cross-corner to your hole, than the cueball is not going to end up on the bottom rail - it is going to bounce back up to somewhere around mid-table, leaving a cross-corner for your opponent, unless you're lucky enough to actually make the twice cross-corner shot.......However, the two rail bank shot would be an excellent shot only if it's possible to bank the object ball using low right english without getting a kiss, spinning whitey out of the top right corner, back to your pocket's long rail, and then dropping down to rest on the bottom rail.[/QUOTE]

I just said it was a shot I saw Ike shoot for the Cash. I think he did use extream middle left english and spun the cue ball back to the middle end rail.
Personally, I would try the spin/kick shot.

TY & GL

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
.....I didn't say, that you said you would shoot it

.....I didn't say, that you said you would shoot it

I just said it was a shot I saw Ike shoot for the Cash. I think he did use extream middle left english and spun the cue ball back to the middle end rail.

TY & GL[/QUOTE]

.....Hey OHB, don't be so defensive, what I said, was to Steve, telling him it wasn't a good choice of shots. ( but, to just keep the record straight, you did in fact say, that if the twice cross corner shot was good enough for Ike, it was good enough for you )

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
It was good enough for me because..........

It was good enough for me because..........

One Pocket Ghost said:

TY & GL

I was betting on Ike.

.....Hey OHB, don't be so defensive, what I said, was to Steve, telling him it wasn't a good choice of shots. ( but, to just keep the record straight, you did in fact say, that if the twice cross corner shot was good enough for Ike, it was good enough for you )[/QUOTE]

One Pocket Ghost - It was good enough for me because I was betting on Ike. I don't think I can play nearly as well as Ike so it wouldn't be a shot that I would try. And I'm not really trying to be defensive - after all - this is all just idle chatter and doesen't mean very much. I do enjoy the back and forth of opinions though and think that is what this forum is all about. I also enjoy and value your post many times. You bring a lot to the table.

TY & GL

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Same here

Same here

One Pocket Ghost - It was good enough for me because I was betting on Ike. I don't think I can play nearly as well as Ike so it wouldn't be a shot that I would try. And I'm not really trying to be defensive - after all - this is all just idle chatter and doesen't mean very much. I do enjoy the back and forth of opinions though and think that is what this forum is all about. I also enjoy and value your post many times. You bring a lot to the table.

TY & GL[/QUOTE]

OHB, And I enjoy your posts and respect your game as well....As a matter of fact I respect your game enough that I would not be embarassed to take 9 to 7 from you at Derby City this year ^_^

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
See you at the Derby!

See you at the Derby!

One Pocket Ghost said:

I'm sure we can find each other - & we can see what happens from there. I'm looking forward to the Derby as usual and I think it will be even better this year as it seems to get better every year.

TY & GL

TY & GL

OHB, And I enjoy your posts and respect your game as well....As a matter of fact I respect your game enough that I would not be embarassed to take 9 to 7 from you at Derby City this year ^_^[/QUOTE]