poolroom etiquette, arizona-style.

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
i believe there are two one-pocket streams emanating from the phoenix area. one is hosted by the most-reverend ronn and the other is, i think, somewhere nearby.

recently, a low class act, perpetrated by the same individual, occurred in both venues.

i won’t cite this certain discourteous player’s name, because i can’t remember it.

one afternoon, i saw him lose to someone who was being spotted several balls.

then, in the next tourney, the same boyo lost to a player closer to his own speed.

in both instances, he refused to shake hands with the winners.

i think that is simply rude.

now, i’m not a scold. in contemplating the human condition, i factor in the will to win, competitive juices, human foibles, etc.

but it seems sad to me, that -- in a friendly monthly competition, with a low entry fee and a regular cast of characters -- one grump would insult the proceedings with such churlish behavior.

however ... maybe i’m all wet?

maybe only losers are good losers?

no, i think manners matter, even in a pool parlor.

pondering life’s imponderables is my life,

sunny

bernie p

Verified Member
i believe there are two one-pocket streams emanating from the phoenix area. one is hosted by the most-reverend ronn and the other is, i think, somewhere nearby.

recently, a low class act, perpetrated by the same individual, occurred in both venues.

i won’t cite this certain discourteous player’s name, because i can’t remember it.

one afternoon, i saw him lose to someone who was being spotted several balls.

then, in the next tourney, the same boyo lost to a player closer to his own speed.

in both instances, he refused to shake hands with the winners.

i think that is simply rude.

now, i’m not a scold. in contemplating the human condition, i factor in the will to win, competitive juices, human foibles, etc.

but it seems sad to me, that -- in a friendly monthly competition, with a low entry fee and a regular cast of characters -- one grump would insult the proceedings with such churlish behavior.

however ... maybe i’m all wet?

maybe only losers are good losers?

no, i think manners matter, even in a pool parlor.

pondering life’s imponderables is my life,

sunny

Sunny,

Have you not learnt anything on this site......shaking your opponents' hand after losing is de facto acknowledgement that your opponent somehow, someway, just maybe, played better than you......or even worse.... got lucky.:eek:

A real Arizona One Pocket player would not stoop to such levels of mock chivalry:rolleyes:

Evidently most of us up-an-comers' still have a lot to learn.;)

Bernie. <-------- a "many time" recipient of such shenanigans by the aforementioned anonymous non-handshaker.:lol:lol

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Sunnyone,

The anonymous "non-handshaker" you speak of, is very well known locally, and will also grasp at any straw to avoid defeat...Including calling a foul on his opponent, when everyone in the joint knows, there was no foul...He will then berate, and cuss out,...everyone from the janitor, the waitress, or an innocent railbird,... as that being the sole reason for his defeat..:(

He also happens to be among the top 3 or 4 players in our fair state.. This does not however, keep him from having all the colorful personality, of a wet dishrag.

Some people like Bernie, are much too polite, to mention his name however, I'm not ...All the local's know this person is none other than Mr. Gus Briseno... And I really hope he objects to this post, should it get back to him..as I have said these same things to his face, more than once...:(

If you Google the words, "No Class"...or "Poor Loser" you will see a picture of our boy Gus right next to them...Quite sad that an individual, with his talent, makes Earl Strickland look like a 'choir boy,' more often than not...:eek:

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
I don't think Bernie books enough losers to get mad! That is one of the first things I noticed about Bernie, much too nice to even "out" the scoundrels! :)

it does seem you have one in every town or city.

DeeMan

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
I've only failed to shake hands one time after a match, I was so mad at the time that I left the table before the final ball was made.

But I did apologize a few minutes later.

I know of a few guys that upon losing, they sit frozen in the chair. You extend your arm, and they don't even acknowledge that you're there.

Some people take losing hard, I don't necessarily hold it against them if they can't shake hands.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Shaking hands, has been a long accepted way of showing good sportsmanship, especially in tournaments...Refusing, or ignoring an offered hand, shows a complete lack of respect, for BOTH yourself and your opponent.

It also shows a weakness of character, and a total disregard for the game itself, and the spectators. This could be why 'the Pearl' is so beloved..However, he may have a medical excuse...(but I still ain't buyin' it.)..:eek:

PS...When he was getting knocked out of the $25,000 added tournament we had here a few years ago...He went off on a large group of spectator's (many of them pulling for him) by telling them.."You people don't even deserve to watch me play."...Excuse THAT willya..:(

Last edited:

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Shaking hands, has been a long accepted way of showing good sportsmanship, especially in tournaments...Refusing, or ignoring an offered hand, shows a complete lack of respect, for BOTH yourself and your opponent.

It also shows a weakness of character, and a total disregard for the game itself, and the spectators. This could be why 'the Pearl' is so beloved..However, he may have a medical excuse...(but I still ain't buyin' it.)..:eek:

PS...When he was getting knocked out of the $25,000 added tournament we had here a few years ago...He went off on a large group of spectator's (many of them pulling for him) by telling them.."You people don't even deserve to watch me play."...Excuse THAT willya..:(

I refused to shake an opponent's hand earlier this year in league. He was talking trash from the get-go, raked balls, bitched about my shots while I was shooting(he was maybe 5 feet away), etc etc. He said, "What, you're not going to shake my hand?" I said, "No, you were an asshole the whole time." He was much more restrained the following match that night, almost respectful. From what I was told afterwards, he's a jerkoff to everybody. Felt even better beating him on both sides playing off the wall.

I have no problem shaking an opponent's hand after kicking my butt, after kicking their butt or anything, even if it's an important match. I will not pretend to respect a player that was disrespectful to myself and the game, and I'm a pretty easy-going person. Heck, I think his first prickish comment came even before the lag. Maybe he had a medical problem, too. :rolleyes:

Ok, rambling over.. :)

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
the dee earns a d. perhaps a d-minus.

the dee earns a d. perhaps a d-minus.

I don't think Bernie books enough losers to get mad! That is one of the first things I noticed about Bernie, much too nice to even "out" the scoundrels! :)

it does seem you have one in every town or city.

DeeMan

ho ho! another one falls for the bernie ‘nice guy’ scam.

yes, that plummy-voiced midlands accent has conned many a poor boy into missing the meanie-behind-the-mask.

a diffident manner, a gracious smile, a kindly bearing ... well, beware you boyos!

let me just say this about that. bernie’s quiet shuffle-shuffle into southern california was followed by an equally stealthy sneak-away with the cash.

his earlier ‘i never thought one-pocket was much of a game’ is now followed by his arizona ascendency through the ronn-rankings.

i have a gf who batts her eyes, plays demure and ... well, i love her like a sister, but don’t leave your boyfriend alone in her zip code.

now i’m not suggesting that ... well, yes, i guess i am suggesting that!

wishing good luck and godspeed to arizona victims is my life,

sunny