Roy's Commentary on Tony/Dennis Day 1

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
In case people missed it, I left the stream running last night while I was reading and about 45 minutes after the match Geraldine interviewed Roy (Dennis' backer) about the match.
Roy had talked to both Dennis and Tony for awhile so had some interesting things to say. Also answered a bunch of questions for the room.

Some tidbits I remember
-Dennis said he could not get comfortable on the table til the last few games.
-Tony's already put a ton more hours on this table playing Shane and also some other action the day before the match.
-He gave a lot of props to Tony, wasn't just Dennis not playing well, Tony was making two rail banks and other crazy shots with shape
-Dennis' confidence is not shaken, he tried to get Tony to play $1k/game right after the match. Tony said no. Roy respected that, said it was a smart move not to let Dennis win some and get his confidence back up.
-Roy said if Dennis lost and wanted to play again, he'd back him again.

There was more but i forget.
Roy seems like a pretty standup guy from the interviews i've seen. Mentioned a few times how's he's just glad everyone gets to enjoy the show.
I'm glad this stuff doesn't just happen behind closed doors. I appreciate what he's doing for the game.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
In case people missed it, I left the stream running last night while I was reading and about 45 minutes after the match Geraldine interviewed Roy (Dennis' backer) about the match.
Roy had talked to both Dennis and Tony for awhile so had some interesting things to say. Also answered a bunch of questions for the room.

Some tidbits I remember
-Tony's already put a ton more hours on this table playing Shane and also some other action the day before the match.
-He gave a lot of props to Tony, wasn't just Dennis not playing well, Tony was making two rail banks and other crazy shots with shape
-Dennis' confidence is not shaken, he tried to get Tony to play $1k/game right after the match. Tony said no. Roy respected that, said it was a smart move not to let Dennis win some and get his confidence back up.

Roy seems like a pretty standup guy from the interviews i've seen. Mentioned a few times how's he's just glad everyone gets to enjoy the show.
I'm glad this stuff doesn't just happen behind closed doors. I appreciate what he's doing for the game.
thanks for the info sneaky

keoneyo

Verified Member
I asked Roy if there was any psychological strategy going on before the match. Anything that Tony or Dennis said to each other before the match. Roy said there wasnt. As a matter of fact they acted like they were playing a race to 3. Just basic ball over the line stuff.

Roy didnt realize 3 games had gone by since it was so quick and Tony was up 3. He hadnt hit the chair yet to watch the match. It took him a little by surprise.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Some tidbits I remember

Re. Dennis's play in the first 8 games approx...people (Roy, Jay, Dennis himself, etc.) have been saying that Dennis wasn't comfortable with the table, or with his new moochy cue, etc...

But imo, world champion that he is, I truly believe he was shell-shocked by Tony's ballistic firepower...not saying that he stayed, or will stay shell-shocked - but I think he was for the first coupla hours yesterday.

- Ghost