My son and time travel

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Here goes…

My first journal entry. I love to read these entries and have frankly felt that I didn’t have anything wise, or meaningful, or interesting enough to warrant my own… but with the retrospective thoughts I’ve been having recently and yesterday in particular, I figured I would give it a shot. This is a happy post.

This is my son Justin.

My man. He changed my life, as kids usually do. In my case, I was an absolute maniac growing up. I got sober when I was 25 (A journal entry for another day) and by 27 I was just getting my feet under me. Yes, a bit late but such was my path. (More on that also maybe one day). I met a girl and we had a tumultuous 6 month relationship. A couple of weeks after things ended, we discovered that she was pregnant. I remember how scared I was. I couldn’t take care of a plant, let alone a baby. Nonetheless, I was IN! My ex let me know that she would be happy to go it alone and for me to walk away. A thought which repulsed me and was never a consideration. I couldn’t even fathom that.

My life changed immediately. I needed to find a “Real” job with a salary, benefits, and commission (No clue where but I knew it would be sales). I started sending out resumes, and got a call from a guy who asked… “Do you know about I.T.? “to which I replied… “Of course I do!”. Truth is, I didn’t even know what I.T. stood for (Information technology heh) nor did I know how to send email. He was tough on the phone, and I didn’t like the guy, but he asked me to come in for an in person interview and I figured it would be good hostile interview experience, so in I went. During the interview he asked me a question and my answer was “No”, which he didn’t like. He interrupted me 4 more times during the interview to confirm my answer again and again, shaking his head all the while. Finally I knew I wasn’t getting the job anyway so I said (with gusto) “You know Bill.. The answer is STILL no!” which he apparently did like. At the end of the interview I closed him. I said “You mentioned the next step in the process would be for me to come back in and meet your boss. My schedule is pretty full in the next week or so. Why don’t we pick a time and date now and get it on the calendar so I can be sure to make it. I think this is a great fit and I don’t want to miss this opportunity with you” He loved it. Started laughing and taking notes, and the rest was history. I was there for 8 years and have now been in the I.T. recruiting business for 18 years this summer.

But I digress (I see now how these Journal entries can get ya hehe) My son Justin was the catalyst for that interview and for my now career and I’ll get back to himI

It was a battle from the start. I went to court and fought for my son, ending up with shared custody. Every Tuesday and Thursday and every other weekend, with 4 full weeks during the summer with me doing all dropping off and picking up. I never missed a day or time.

For the next few years I could be seen all over with a baby and a bag of clothes or bottles or diapers in hand. Single Dad. The job which I was so scared about as well (again another day story) was going great but my main focus in life was my kiddo.

He was my everything. You see.. growing up I was never close with my own dad and so my goal in life was to give my son the kind of dad that I had always wanted. We have always been so close and I am grateful for every challenge and every day. Yes I was a doting dad and happy to be. I remember once Justin and I were in the living room when he was about 6 or 7 watching a kids movie (which I was now a pro at). It was a Goofy (The Disney character) movie and was about Goofy and his son Max. Max was going off to college and Goofy missed him so much that he went to college with him. I remember saying “That’s going to be you one day buddy and I may follow you too!!” but thinking that really that day was so far away that it seemed forever. I forgot all about that day and that movie years ago. When Justin was still small, I met a fantastic girl and we got married, and now have another son as well. My single dad days long behind me, it will always be a special time, just as my wife and younger son Evan have changed my life for the better in many other ways.

So lets fast forward to this summer. Justin Graduated High School. While at his graduation I had a flashback to walking him into Kindergarten and how little and cute he was.

I think this was first day of kindergarten.

I have teared up often lately, but with nice thoughts. I can’t believe how fast the time has gone. I am so happy for him and am going to miss him terribly. He has a place this summer at the beach in Wildwood with 5 friends and starts at Bloomsburg at the end of August. When I walked him to his car to leave for the shore after his graduation lunch I didn’t want to let him go. Teary dad heh.

Yesterday was Freshman orientation day at Bloomsburg. My Ex was going to take him but one of her other kids was sick and she asked if I would. Of COURSE! My wife and I took off work and the three of us headed to Husky country. It was absolutely one of the best days of my life. Seeing the opportunity in front of my guy. The world laid at his feet. His life in front of him could take him anywhere. Not to mention the beautiful campus and OMG the incoming freshman that he will be chasing (My eyes fell out at least twice). I was and am filled with joy.

Part of my other story is getting thrown out of Pitt. Escapades which included drugs, the police, fake grades, and more (Oh yeah… that other story is a good one lol). You see... I never finished college. I didn’t take advantage of my opportunity at the time. I have been very lucky (blessed) but it is still a bit of a regret. My career is good and I’m not interested in going back and getting a degree, but I wish I wouldn’t have squandered my chance the first time.

I said as much to Justin while we were there yesterday and he was surprised. He said… “Wait… you never graduated?” I though he knew and said “No. That’s why I want you to take advantage of your opportunity and do well!!”. To which he looked at me and replied… “How great would it be if you came up here with me and finished. Just like Max and Goofy”. It took me a minute, but then the memories came flooding back. He remembered!!! I teared up again!! And God I love that kid!!!!

Last edited: