End-Game outs

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Ihope it was a question?

Ihope it was a question?

Cowboy Dennis said:
Please bear with me. I'm trying the wei setup for the second time.[http://CueTable.com/P/?@3DNUi4FbaF1IbVt1PbPT3Qchs@CUETABLE][/CUETABLE]

I can't believe I did it on the first try. This is a little practice out that we would shoot when when things were slow. You need all three balls in pocket A.

one rail the 9 ball with a lot of right spin, automatic position on the 4 ball if you make the bank, then bank the 6 ball.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Question

Question

androd said:
one rail the 9 ball with a lot of right spin, automatic position on the 4 ball if you make the bank, then bank the 6 ball.

I was so happy I posted it on the first try that I forgot to ask a question. Just thought I'd give some of the up&comers something to practice when things are slow. But you are correct.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
I was so happy I posted it on the first try that I forgot to ask a question. Just thought I'd give some of the up&comers something to practice when things are slow. But you are correct.

Dennis,

Androd is about as far from an "up and comer" as you can get. He might be a "been there and left" guy, like me. :rolleyes: Same shot I liked Rod, but obviously there is some risk involved.
Dennis are you saying "must get out" or you get shot dead. If not, I like moving the 4 away, and waiting for a better chance.
Dick <---Two great mind's ....etc. (3 counting Dennis)

Last edited:

senor

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Dennis,

Androd is about as far from an "up and comer" as you can get. He might be a "been there and left" guy, like me. :rolleyes: Same shot I liked Rod.

Rod is a "been there and left and came back with more money" guy.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
up&comers

up&comers

SJDinPHX said:
Dennis,

Androd is about as far from an "up and comer" as you can get. He might be a "been there and left" guy, like me. :rolleyes: Same shot I liked Rod, but obviously there is some risk involved.
Dennis are you saying "must get out" or you get shot dead. If not, I like moving the 4 away, and waiting for a better chance.

Dick, I know that Androd is not an up&comer. He always has good posts and answers to questions. By the way Dick, the 4 is by your hole, why move it? Anyway, like I said, this was just a fool-around thing to do when things were slow. And yes, you have to get out or get shot dead.

And if I have another beer, I might just set up another one of my favorite 3-ball outs.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Nightmare in Vegas !!!

Nightmare in Vegas !!!

OK Dennis, I'll give the %^$#&*% WEI table a try. The scenario is this: Ed Kelly and I are racing to 4 to see who advances to the finals, at the Stardust. I believe it was 1968 or "69. (book says J. C., but it was Vegas)
We are hill-hill, and I am ahead on balls, 6 to 2. I have just banked the 12 towards my hole, came off the side rail, and left him froze against the 4 ball as shown. (I am pocket A) Shouldn't I feel pretty good about the game ?
I lost the game on Kelly's next inning. How it happened is explained on page#232 in S,M,and S by Robbin's.

Can you guess how he won from the jail he was in ? one of the most brutal rolls I ever got.
If the WEI table comes up, I'll show you the layout.

Cannot get $^&#&$ WEI table to come up,??? does this work ?http://CueTable.com/P/?@4DFlf4FIUw4GDha4IGjK3KaMj3Lakl3OUFv4PHph3Qchw@

Lets hear some opinions on what you would do if you were Kelly in that spot. (3 fouls, loss of game) ! :eek:

Dick <---Still talks to Ed, but never really forgave him. :rolleyes: (Just kidding, consider him a friend from the good old days.)

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
OK Dennis, I'll give the %^$#&*% WEI table a try. The scenario is this: Ed Kelly and I are racing to 4 to see who advances to the finals, at the Stardust in, I believe 1968 or "69. (book says J. C., but it was Vegas)
We are hill-hill, and I am ahead on balls, 6 to 2. I have just banked the 12 towards my hole, came off the side rail, and left him froze against the 4 ball as shown. (I am pocket A) Shouldn't I feel pretty good about the game ?
I lost the game on Kelly's next inning. How it happened is explained on page#
232 in "Shots, Moves, and Strategies.
Can you guess how he won from the jail he was in ? one of the most brutal things that ever happened to moi.
If the WEI table comes up, I'll show you the layout.

Cannot get $^&#&$ WEI table to come up,??? does this work ?http://CueTable.com/P/?@4DFlf4FIUw4GDha4IGjK3KaMj3Lakl3OUFv4PHph3Qchw@

Lets see you escape from this ! :eek:

Dick
If he one from her. He gets a nobel prize. I would have bet all my moey. on you at this game and position. I cannot see anyway out unless its a complete miracle. And all my money would have been on you. I cannot see no daylite. Put I guess he did it from this position. I cannot see any way out. It must have been a replys belive it or not. I would love to see how he did it or explain how he did it. Its to much for me to comprehend.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
If he one from her. He gets a nobel prize. I would have bet all my moey. on you at this game and position. I cannot see anyway out unless its a complete miracle. And all my money would have been on you. I cannot see no daylite. Put I guess he did it from this position. I cannot see any way out. It must have been a replys belive it or not. I would love to see how he did it or explain how he did it. Its to much for me to comprehend.

Artie,

Let the guys from back east wake up and look at this layout. I know not everyone has the book, (S,M and S) but Steve Booth put a WEI table up for me last year, and showed what happened. I'll tell you tomorrow.

Dick

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
Dick,

Are you saying that he won on the next shot from this position?

Thats exactly what I'm saying Dennis, I did not shoot again, and the balls laid exactly like I've shown them. maybe even a little worse for him.

Dick

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Kellys out

Kellys out

SJDinPHX said:
Artie,

Let the guys from back east wake up and look at this layout. I know not everyone has the book, (S,M and S) but Steve Booth put a WEI table up for me last year, and showed what happened. I'll tell you tomorrow.

Dick

I'm still awake Dick, but not for long. I'll tell you what I'd do if I had to win in my next inning. I would shoot 4 rails very hard and with right hand spin. If I hit it good the cueball would go between the 12 and 15. It would hit the 12 banking it into the 15 and the 15 into the 9. The nine would of course go in my pocket. The rock would either make the 11 or knock it out. If it gets knocked out by doubling the points it might break up the 7&4 leaving me an out on you that only Efren could think of.

These wei tables are really too easy to play on. Give me something tough.

By the way, if the 11 falls in I suppose you would end up with a shot at the 6. A good shot to break up the 7&4 and run out, as long as I'm fantasizing.

Last edited:

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Artie Bodendorfer said:
All I can see is a kick carom off the six to pocket the eleven ball but that doesn't win the game.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
philwelch said:
All I can see is a kick carom off the six to pocket the eleven ball but that doesn't win the game.

The first guy who has a copy of Robbin's book, (SMAS) can look it up and divulge what happened ( pg 232 )
Losing to Ed Kelly, in the sixties, was sure nothing to be ashamed of, but not THAT way !!!
I don't want to talk about it any more... it still pisses me off thinking about it. :mad:

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
and i quote "seeing no better way out of the trap, kelly elevated the butt of his cue and slammed into the cluster of balls, sending them towards my pocket. the hanging ball went in but the rest somehow flew over to kelly's side of the table. a ball not only dropped into his pocket (the 9 ball 2 rails) he was left straight in on another for an easy run out to win the match" btw nice picture of you SJDinPHX. now i can associate the name with the face.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Kellys out

Kellys out

lll said:
and i quote "seeing no better way out of the trap, kelly elevated the butt of his cue and slammed into the cluster of balls, sending them towards my pocket. the hanging ball went in but the rest somehow flew over to kelly's side of the table. a ball not only dropped into his pocket (the 9 ball 2 rails) he was left straight in on another for an easy run out to win the match" btw nice picture of you SJDinPHX. now i can associate the name with the face.

Dick, you have my sympathies. There is no more brutal loss than that one. Of course, nowadays you could claim he pushed through and fouled and the TD would probably agree with you. As Fats used to say, "brutal beyond compare".

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Dick, you have my sympathies. There is no more brutal loss than that one. Of course, nowadays you could claim he pushed through and fouled and the TD would probably agree with you. As Fats used to say, "brutal beyond compare".
When a sucker gets lucky a player doesnt have a chance. If he shoots it 100 times he mite not win once from that position. Makeing the first shot is at least a 2 to 1 shot. And freacky things do happen. And its a same it happened to happen to you. But I still will take your position and play anybody in the world from thier. And I can lay 2 to 1 or better.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SJDinPHX said:
The first guy who has a copy of Robbin's book, (SMAS) can look it up and divulge what happened ( pg 232 )
Losing to Ed Kelly, in the sixties, was sure nothing to be ashamed of, but not THAT way !!!
I don't want to talk about it any more... it still pisses me off thinking about it. :mad:
Dick, I remember reading about that the first time in SMAS, and shaking my head. I'd never even met you yet. Talk about a colossal roll!! You should have won the game for sure in that position.

On the other hand, Kelly must have realized that he was a dead duck, and needed to come up with a Hail Mary shot. It's like Buddy has said: "Sometimes when there's nothing there at all, just blast 'em!" Of course he was referring to 9-ball...:rolleyes:

Doc

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Dick, I remember reading about that the first time in SMAS, and shaking my head. I'd never even met you yet. Talk about a colossal roll!! You should have won the game for sure in that position.

On the other hand, Kelly must have realized that he was a dead duck, and needed to come up with a Hail Mary shot. It's like Buddy has said: "Sometimes when there's nothing there at all, just blast 'em!" Of course he was referring to 9-ball...:rolleyes:

Doc
Now I no why Kelly yous to drink if I had to shoot my way out of these kind of positions I would drink a gallon of VO.

Skin

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Now I no why Kelly yous to drink if I had to shoot my way out of these kind of positions I would drink a gallon of VO.

The most unbelievable part of that shot to me when I saw it in the book wasn't making the 4, although that alone is incredible. It was clearing all the other balls out of the way so it had a path back into the hole.

Skin