Sylver losing the hot seat match

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
In the hot seat match, Sylver lost the second game, and subsequently the match, because while being ahead 1-0 in games, and 6-1 in balls in game 2, he used terrible judgment, and didn’t play the score - big time…:rolleyes:...

He could have easily and safely cleared out the only 2 balls by Moto’s pocket, thus putting all balls but the one ball that was on the spot, up-table…instead he tried to backwards-cut the ball on the spot, from long distance…he missed the shot - sold out - Moto made 4 balls, and went on to win the game and the match from there…

The One Pocket Gods don’t like it, and will often punish you, if you disrespect them, and don’t play the game of One Pocket, correctly….:cool:

- Ghost

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One Pocket Ghost said:
In the hot seat match, Sylver lost the second game, and subsequently the match, because while being ahead 1-0 in games, and 6-1 in balls in game 2, he used terrible judgment, and didn’t play the score - big time…:rolleyes:...

He could have easily and safely cleared out the only 2 balls by Moto’s pocket, thus putting all balls but the one ball that was on the spot, up-table…instead he tried to backwards-cut the ball on the spot, from long distance…he missed the shot - sold out - Moto made 4 balls, and went on to win the game and the match from there…

The One Pocket Gods don’t like it, and will often punish you, if you disrespect them, and don’t play the game of One Pocket, correctly….:cool:

- Ghost
You got that right!

Sylver has buckled down a l bit now though -- just beat Morro to get in the finals (single race to 4)

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
from what I read... Sylver won. Score at some point was 3-0 Sylver. Don't know the final though.

EDIT: After looking at the stream page, the score says 3 Sylver - 0 for Motto, so I"m guessing he won 4-0 in the final.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
CaliRed said:
from what I read... Sylver won. Score at some point was 3-0 Sylver. Don't know the final though.

EDIT: After looking at the stream page, the score says 3 Sylver - 0 for Motto, so I"m guessing he won 4-0 in the final.

That he did...Motto played absolute 'give up" pool in the finals...Sylver could have given him 8/5 and still won easily.

As Buddy Hall said..."Dumpin' and doggin", look the same"...Motto put on an amazing display of BOTH...:eek:

Last edited:

akatrigger

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

Yea, When Sylver is up 1-0 and has 6-1 balls in the second game of the hotseat, it looked like he got too loose or something and Motto takes that game after making nice shots. Then Motto makes a ball on the break the next game! Motto grinded it out in the hotseat for sure to win that match 3-1! But Sylver played well in the finals and Motto did not have as many chances the second time against Sylver. Sylver won 4-0 in the finals.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
SJDinPHX said:
That he did...Motto played absolute 'give up" pool in the finals...Sylver could have given him 8/5 and still won easily...

Just to put it in perspective, here's a little quote from Jay Helfert:

"FYI, Moto worked the night shift until 8 AM on Sunday, slept in his car for three hours and got up and went to the finals! He never gave up either, even when he was down 3-0. Good shooting Larry!"

Moto is a maintenance worker for Disney.

P.S. Thanks Lenny, Jay, Eddie (owner of HTs), Moto, Sylver, and all you Southern Cali one pocket players for a great 4th of July weekend!!!

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
demonrho said:
Just to put it in perspective, here's a little quote from Jay Helfert:

"FYI, Moto worked the night shift until 8 AM on Sunday, slept in his car for three hours and got up and went to the finals! He never gave up either, even when he was down 3-0. Good shooting Larry!"

Moto is a maintenance worker for Disney.

P.S. Thanks Lenny, Jay, Eddie (owner of HTs), Moto, Sylver, and all you Southern Cali one pocket players for a great 4th of July weekend!!!

Did not mean to put him down, I know he gave it his best, and never gave up. It was just a slaughter....did not know all the particulars. Thanks for providing.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
New "balk" rules?

New "balk" rules?

I didnt watch the tourn. but Bill Smith advised me that they were playing with a new set of rules that involved a certain amount of balls in balk requiring a spot up. Can anyone inform me of the rules used? In 2005 I trademarked a new set of Onepocket rules that would keep the game wedgeproof. Grady used a slight variation in one of his tourns and the misnomer "Grady's Rules" came out of that even tho Grady had asked permission to use my rules. They are the Beard's trademarked rules. I invented them to help speed up the game and foil the "wedgemasters." They are available for viewing at the bottom of the page at this link.

Beard

http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=354

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
fred bentivegna said:
I didnt watch the tourn. but Bill Smith advised me that they were playing with a new set of rules that involved a certain amount of balls in balk requiring a spot up. Can anyone inform me of the rules used? In 2005 I trademarked a new set of Onepocket rules that would keep the game wedgeproof. Grady used a slight variation in one of his tourns and the misnomer "Grady's Rules" came out of that even tho Grady had asked permission to use my rules. They are the Beard's trademarked rules. I invented them to help speed up the game and foil the "wedgemasters." They are available for viewing at the bottom of the page at this link.

Beard

http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=354
The rules Jay put in play at this tournament were not as sophisticated as the ones you have outlined.

Plain and simple that when more than three balls wound up behind the line the closest to the back rail was spotted and so on. He used the base of the ball to determine if a ball was behind the line.

Sometimes there was some confusion as when to spot the balls. There were instances where the balls were not spotted when they should have thus giving an advantage to to the incoming player. Playing a shot and then realizing after the fact that a ball should have been on the spot did cause a bit of arguments. All in all this rule was OK as long as you kept track of what was going on.

Thanks to Lenny and Spanky for giving up their weekend for so many to be entertained. Also thanks to Jay and Eddie of the Hard Times for a very well ran tournament.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
demonrho said:
I thought Chicago rules allowed only one ball downtable after the first ten minutes of the game.

Good catch Demonrho...If I had said that, it would have been all out war...:eek: Beardmonster...How can you "copyright" rules to a one pocket game ?...I mean...WHO CARES ???

PS..apparently their "hero" (AB)...may not have survived playing under those new rules...because, (according to everyone)... he never shot at ANYTHING !!!..:p

Last edited:

jay helfert

Verified Member
I put these rules into effect to keep from having any super long matches that hold up the entire tournament. Greg Sullivan should consider it for his One Pocket event. The longest games were about 45 minutes and the longest matches about two and half hours. If I hadn't used this rule we might still be playing. :)

jay helfert

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
That he did...Motto played absolute 'give up" pool in the finals...Sylver could have given him 8/5 and still won easily.

As Buddy Hall said..."Dumpin' and doggin", look the same"...Motto put on an amazing display of BOTH...:eek:

Dick, if you think this guy can't play, then I will gladly bring him to Arizona to play ANYONE not named Frost some One Pocket, including Jimmy G. or Gus. I'll bring cash too!

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
jay helfert said:
Dick, if you think this guy can't play, then I will gladly bring him to Arizona to play ANYONE not named Frost some One Pocket, including Jimmy G. or Gus. I'll bring cash too!

I thought Scott moved to Las Vegas:D

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
jay helfert said:

I would say that this is a pretty sporty challenge....I would think that the 'Kolby's-poolroom-collective' would maybe all get together and put either Gus or Mitch in the box for this match-up....:)

- Ghost

bernie p

Verified Member
jay helfert said:

Jay,

This is the first time I've seen Moto play. I was very impressed with his game. I believe that fatigue got the better of him after 2 long days. (He was after all spotting Sylver approx 30 years :eek: ).

I (along with perhaps 9 other potential "sensation seeking" backers, for example) would, in the name of entertainment, be very willing to post a $3000 ($300 x 10) bet to play Mitch Ellerman in say....a 6 ahead match.

The "entertainment" would stem from the witnessing of the vastly varying styles of Mitch's blitzkrieg shooting verses that of the controlled moving style of Moto.

I think it would make a great livestream matchup.

Whaddya think Jay? Is this worthy of me rounding up some Phoenix action junkies?

Thanks.

Bernie Pettipiece.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
bernie p said:
Jay,

This is the first time I've seen Moto play. I was very impressed with his game. I believe that fatigue got the better of him after 2 long days. (He was after all spotting Sylver approx 30 years :eek: ).

I (along with perhaps 9 other potential "sensation seeking" backers, for example) would, in the name of entertainment, be very willing to post a $3000 ($300 x 10) bet to play Mitch Ellerman in say....a 6 ahead match.

The "entertainment" would stem from the witnessing of the vastly varying styles of Mitch's blitzkrieg shooting verses that of the controlled moving style of Moto.

Whaddya think Jay? Is this worthy of me rounding up some Phoenix action junkies?

Thanks.

Bernie Pettipiece.

Hey Bernie.....Aren't you gonna give me some credit/(future jelly) for agitating the action?...and besides, you guys did hijack my thread...:)

- Ghosty

bernie p

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Hey Bernie.....Aren't you gonna give me some credit/(future jelly) for agitating the action?...and besides, you guys did hijack my thread...:)

- Ghosty
Ghost,

Given your well earned moral fiber on this board, am I right in assuming that you are hereby contributing to the Mitch backer's fund?:D

After all, jelly earned is jelly invested....right?;)

Bernie.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
bernie p said:
Ghost,

Given your well earned moral fiber on this board, am I right in assuming that you are hereby contributing to the Mitch backer's fund?:D

After all, jelly earned is jelly invested....right?;)

Bernie.

Put me down for $500. :)

jay helfert

Verified Member
bernie p said:
Jay,

Thanks.

Bernie Pettipiece.

If you get it together I will talk to Larry (Moto) and see if he can get some time off work. Six Ahead for 3K sounds like a good bet. Tell Jimmy I'll play him some Banks dead even, and I don't even know how he plays. If he beats me I won't say boo either. :)

P.S. You're right. Larry is 53, prime age for a One Pocket player! Check out Ike Runnels. If you want to play a two on two match, we can throw One Pocket Rich into the mix too. I'd put Larry and Rich in against any two of your players except for Scott.

jayhelfert@yahoo.com to contact me.

Last edited: