Artie's one pocket game

OldSchool

Verified Member
For the many members here who would like to know the truth regarding Artie's one pocket game, I will tell you. As I posted on here a couple of years ago. I am 70 yrs.old now, and I was around big action in many different cities (although mostly in the midwest) from the 60's thru the 80's. I played decent one pocket myself, and know the game as well as anybody.

I am in a unique position here, in a way that no one else is. And that unique position is comprised of two things. #1. I know exactly how Artie played. #2. I can tell it like it is, because I have no agenda or connections to him, either for or against. Although Artie has unknowingly done me a favor, since I have won money betting on him on the side.

I have watched Artie play one pocket many, many times, in person, in the 60's and 70's. I've watched him play great players like the late Bugs Rucker, on down to him playing guys like Whitey. Whitey was a good sucker who would bet pretty good, and played about the speed of that poker player Dippy. Artie used to give him something like 12-4.

As for Artie's speed. Yes, he did play as good as his fanboys say. As good as anyone has ever played the game. With all four of them playing their best, would he have beaten Ronnie, Efren, or Scott Frost? Hard to say for sure, on a given day the winner could change. But a correct line wouldn't make any of them the favorite against him. Also, I believe that, again, with all four of them playing their best, Artie would have the better chance of beating Efren than Ronnie or Scott. Because Ronnie and Scott would be trying to beat Efren with firepower, where Artie would have Efren facing a level of super smart play and defense that Efren had never had to contend with before.

Now as for the other question (being discussed on here recently) Does Artie have some secret, mysterious knowledge and way of playing?

The simple answer is no. Do you really think that with all of the years of accumulated one pocket knowledge gained by players like Ronnie, Grady, and Billy Incardona, they wouldn't also know Artie's better method of playing if it existed? And his silly repeating of saying that he played "mistake free one pocket". Well doesn't that beg the question of why did he lose his share of games over the years, many, many, games, if he played "mistake free". It's just nonsense for all the suckers to wonder about.

What Artie's game did consist of, and what made it as strong as it was, was this: extremely smart moving and percentage play, excellent shooting and banking, pinpoint cueball control and position play, and more desire to win and stamina than pretty much anybody.

And that, is the real and true account of Artie's one pocket game, from approximately 1965-1985

Old School

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
old school thanks for posting this....kudos.jpg
although you remain anonymous
your posts thru the years have shown you were there during the times we speak of

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
artie im sure you will read this post
and may or not decide to respond
i would like your opinion in a post ill put in the members section

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
old school
would you please share some stories of the matches you saw artie play and you made money ??
who /when/where/spot/what were they playing for?
and if you care to share how much did you win from the rail(edit ...thats none of my business)

Last edited:

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Thanks for an objective opinion, oldschool. Would you classify his game as the typical Chicago squeeze style, or something similar?

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
these stories....

these stories....

...are the only reason Im here.When Freddie left I pretty much went with him.I hope to hear more from the vault of old time used to be but its rare now. So thank you very much,cheers,James

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
For the many members here who would like to know the truth regarding Artie's one pocket game, I will tell you. As I posted on here a couple of years ago. I am 70 yrs.old now, and I was around big action in many different cities (although mostly in the midwest) from the 60's thru the 80's. I played decent one pocket myself, and know the game as well as anybody.

I am in a unique position here, in a way that no one else is. And that unique position is comprised of two things. #1. I know exactly how Artie played. #2. I can tell it like it is, because I have no agenda or connections to him, either for or against. Although Artie has unknowingly done me a favor, since I have won money betting on him on the side.

I have watched Artie play one pocket many, many times, in person, in the 60's and 70's. I've watched him play great players like the late Bugs Rucker, on down to him playing guys like Whitey. Whitey was a good sucker who would bet pretty good, and played about the speed of that poker player Dippy. Artie used to give him something like 12-4.

As for Artie's speed. Yes, he did play as good as his fanboys say. As good as anyone has ever played the game. With all four of them playing their best, would he have beaten Ronnie, Efren, or Scott Frost? Hard to say for sure, on a given day the winner could change. But a correct line wouldn't make any of them the favorite against him. Also, I believe that, again, with all four of them playing their best, Artie would have the better chance of beating Efren than Ronnie or Scott. Because Ronnie and Scott would be trying to beat Efren with firepower, where Artie would have Efren facing a level of super smart play and defense that Efren had never had to contend with before.

Now as for the other question (being discussed on here recently) Does Artie have some secret, mysterious knowledge and way of playing?

The simple answer is no. Do you really think that with all of the years of accumulated one pocket knowledge gained by players like Ronnie, Grady, and Billy Incardona, they wouldn't also know Artie's better method of playing if it existed? And his silly repeating of saying that he played "mistake free one pocket". Well doesn't that beg the question of why did he lose his share of games over the years, many, many, games, if he played "mistake free". It's just nonsense for all the suckers to wonder about.

What Artie's game did consist of, and what made it as strong as it was, was this: extremely smart moving and percentage play, excellent shooting and banking, pinpoint cueball control and position play, and more desire to win and stamina than pretty much anybody.

And that, is the real and true account of Artie's one pocket game, from approximately 1965-1985

Old School
very interesting comment(bolded statement above)
speaks large for arties defense

OldSchool

Verified Member
old school
would you please share some stories of the matches you saw artie play and you made money ??
who /when/where/spot/what were they playing for?
and if you care to share how much did you win from the rail(edit ...thats none of my business)

To those who thanked me, I say you're very welcome.

Larry, sorry but I'm not really into telling old gambling stories. The Beard's books are good for that. But I'll tell you this last thing about Artie. He was always in action, that's all he did, more than anyone I've ever seen. If he wasn't playing pool, he was playing gin, and if he wasn't playing gin, he was on the phone for hours getting sports lines, making sports lines, etc. He may have stopped to use the bathroom once in awhile, but I wouldn't bet on it, lol.

Old School

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Larry, sorry but I'm not really into telling old gambling stories. The Beard's books are good for that. But I'll tell you this last thing about Artie. He was always in action, that's all he did, more than anyone I've ever seen. If he wasn't playing pool, he was playing gin, and if he wasn't playing gin, he was on the phone for hours getting sports lines, making sports lines, etc. He may have stopped to use the bathroom once in awhile, but I wouldn't bet on it, lol.

Old School

thanks old school for the reply...kudos.jpg

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal

...sorry but I'm not really into telling old gambling stories...
Old School

Pretty please? Would love to hear some of your stories. You can't let all those interesting memories just fade away into the mists of time.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
artie im sure you will read this post
and may or not decide to respond
i would like your opinion in a post ill put in the members section
MY MISTAKE FREE ONE POCKET GAME. Is taken in the wrong light. I never said that I didn't make mistakes. I made mistakes like everyone else. I made less mistakes. And when I played this style. I played some games without making a mistake. And the games I didn't make a mistake. My opponent lost those games.

I no how to play mistake free one pocket. And I was going to show it to Shane. But he said he doesn't play one pocket. He plays nine ball.So I left it alone. To play mistake free one pocket. Does not mean that I don't make mistakes. It means that I no how to play the game without making a mistake.

Old school has a pretty good lien on me. And I beat a lot of players. By playing harder to win then they did. Old school whoever he is.Has good information about me. And I agree with a lot of what he says.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
If you go back in time to past threads, there are oodles of war stories and instructions from Artie and the other high level one pocket players. I spent days reading threads from the past when I came here 3 or 4 years ago, after getting kicked off of AZ for 90 days. I just noticed SuperDuck got barred from AZ yesterday. The mod said it was not permanent however. sigh. CJ has been really getting down over there. Barton is long gone, though.... Yo Artie. . People want to know. Did Gar get jarred that time when you and he played some bumper pool and you won all those thousands??? I don't think he did. I'm just asking...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
MY MISTAKE FREE ONE POCKET GAME. Is taken in the wrong light. I never said that I didn't make mistakes. I made mistakes like everyone else. I made less mistakes. And when I played this style. I played some games without making a mistake. And the games I didn't make a mistake. My opponent lost those games.

I no how to play mistake free one pocket. And I was going to show it to Shane. But he said he doesn't play one pocket. He plays nine ball.So I left it alone. To play mistake free one pocket. Does not mean that I don't make mistakes. It means that I no how to play the game without making a mistake.

Old school has a pretty good lien on me. And I beat a lot of players. By playing harder to win then they did. Old school whoever he is.Has good information about me. And I agree with a lot of what he says.
artie
thanks for your reply.......kudos.jpg
check your pm

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
What I was told

What I was told

I never have seen Artie play. However in conversations with the Beard over the years he kept stressing to me to learn the complete shot. His thought process was this. If moving a ball to your side is the shot, then, look at the table, find a way to move the ball, and then stick to the back side of another ball, or the rack which limits your opponents response.

He told me that Artie was the best at this he had ever seen. It may have taken him 15 minutes to find the shot, but when he shot it, it was a complete shot, he would move a ball to his advantage, and lock you down on another ball, the rack or where you had no response to his move. Yes he supposedly played a lock down game. Yet Freddie also said when you gave him the chance he would run 8 and out.

I think Artie's mistake free one pocket is just that. Call it advantage one pocket. He positioned the balls to his advantage and forced the opponent into helping him do the same. At least from my conversations with Freddie that is what I gleaned from it.

It didn't come over night, according to Freddie, Artie would spend hours perfecting how to roll a ball 3 inches to lock to another... How many of us do that? I know I spend a lot of time now perfecting the complete shot, and upset with myself when I miss the shot...meaning I moved the ball but didn't get the cue locked where I wanted it. So I chalk that up for a miss, or as I believe Artie would say a mistake. Notice I didn't say miss a ball at my hole. Missing a ball at the hole is a break in concentration,

Time flies, as with all of us... I don't believe Artie can play the way he did anymore. But as I look in the mirror and see the old guy looking back... I don't either, but the knowledge remains and I for one appreciate the work he put in earlier in life.

I would like a lesson or two from Artie whenever he is available. Knowledge is power... and luck does favor the prepared mind... just saying...

B

baby huey

Verified Member
I never saw Artie play but many people I knew did play him and it was not a game that they went looking for to bet their cash. RA told me he could beat Artie because his style was better suited to the defense minded game of Artie's. Ronnie also told a lot of tall tales about his game so one has to take what he said in stride (RA RIP.) But he was considered the best during his time and must be acknowledged as such. It's so hard to compare and contrast the players of yesteryear to todays greats. Artie certainly has to be a top ten in my book. His style would be most formidable to todays greats…..