Muhammad Ali -The Greatest- succumbs to septic shock

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I can only imagine how quick this guy really was with his hands, and his feet...
I saw him fight in his prime and in his decline, all on television, which some of you may or may not realize, slows actual speed up somewhat.

I knew a fellow who used to box, he was just an above average boxer in the middleweight class and at the time this took place I would guess his age at about 60... We worked together selling cars at Marshall Chevrolet in Hempstead, Texas. Nice fellow, Johnny Hopkins was his name, fought in the Roy Head era and was from a small town near Conroe, Texas called Cut and Shoot. Long story short, I used to rib him all the time about how he couldn't box a lick and if he wasn't so old I'd show him a thing or two about boxing... well, one day I asked him if he wanted to just shadow box a round with me and not have any hard contact, just light contact, pulling our punches. He said no, I wouldn't like it... Well, this caused me to egg him on even more, being the competitive guy I am, so I continued with the needle until he finally agreed....

He was right... Even at 60 years old, he destroyed me... he stepped inside and musta hit me in the stomach 7 or 8 times and open hand slapped me in the face 4 or 5 times more before I could get away from him... He was 60, an old man, and not even a contender in his prime, Ali was a 3 time heavyweight champion of the world and the most recognized man in the world for about 30 years, he was larger than life...

I can only imagine how fast he really was...

RIP. Warrior

Danny di Liberto comes to mind... Danny was also trained during his short boxing career by Angelo Dundee.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
What made Muhammad Ali the Greatest to me was that he changed ME. He changed my heart. I suspect he did the same for millions if not billions of people.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
In 1974-5....

In 1974-5....

.....I used to see Wilt in Waikiki,mostly in the bars,clubs etc.I walked in this place and he was sitting in one of those big wrap-around leather booths that seats about 8 people.I glanced over as I walked by and he was sitting in the middle with his legs stretched out and his feet, they just hung over the end about a foot.It made me do a double-take cause it looked so un-natural with his body over there and his feet over here..........I guess you had to be there......good times there in those days.Elvis did that special where it was beamed around the world,1973 I think it was...we walked along the beach trying to get close enough to see him but no go.....saw the Stones there in 75,they did 2 shows in 1 night.6 PM and 10 PM.ZZ Top was the warm-up........