3 rail bank w/safety

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-9-sTKZM8ezu2klzTCz8c4nLCtXCOwK9/view?usp=drivesdk

Click on video to enlarge it!

In matching up playing bank pool I have found there are times when there is a necessity to play a multi-rail or double rail bank in order to hold the cue ball. This is either useful for playing a safety or holding shape for your next shot, or when a 1 rail or another bank is not there because the hole is not available.

On this shot I'd like you to notice how nice the object ball comes off the 3rd. rail and does not grab a lot of reverse. Not sure how this shot would work on other rails, but sure is reacting nicely here.

I set up the ob 1 ball width off of center end rail diamond w/ cb angled inline with ob on a line just short of the 1st diamond side rail. I used center ball hit on cb, the ob is aimed at half way between face of cushion and the 1st diamond end rail. This is not a shot that is easily visualized, so you need to know the angle.

This shot is what I call a 'natural bank', meaning; as long as you know the angle then this angle can be used as the ob lies in different locations along the end rail.

Enjoy trying it, hope your table is capable of this shot, for it is a fun little shot! Whitey

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

Looks like a fun shot to try. I'll give it a go tomorrow before the 8-ball starts.
I'll let ya know how it works on my screwy table. :lol

hank

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
hey Whitey, Howdy;

Tony was late showing up so it gave me a chance to try a rack of balls on this shot.
Set it up 1 ball dia. away from end rail center Diamond, CB in line and aimed at the
spot between the next diamond to the Right and the rail in front of it. Made it
once, made it in the far Left pocket when facing the shot 3 times the rest went their
own merry ways all over the table. Hot day with low humidity (10 to 15%), so the
Swamp Cooler (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler), was on
making everything feel gummy. Strangely, right before the tourny everything became
more "Normal" remember the guy that hates to lose to me??? He's also the Canteen
Manager ...
All in all I think I can get that shot to work when the conditions are in the "Normal"
range. The one time I got it to work I think I'd used a 'touch of outside' English to get
it. Otherwise I was sticking to the Center ball and maybe a touch of High.
I'll try this again on Monday.

hank

Last edited: