Danny Medina gone

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I am very sorry to hear this, and my condolences go out to his family and friends. I took a look in my photos and did not see any of Danny, but I found Bill Porter/Mike Haines have a few from the 80's:

At the 1980 Las Vegas 9-Ball Open

This photo and the next one below were both taken at one of Red's Tournaments in Houston, TX (1983-1984)

ironman

Verified Member
Just heard from a pretty good source that Danny Medina has passed. It is unconfirmed but probably true. Very sad.

Beard

NO< it is not true. I just talked to him at 6;30 pm may 21st and he is doing as well as cn be expected. And no I did not mention this to him>

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
That's why I shoulda kept quiet. I mulled over putting it up because it was third party but I did it anyway. At least I had enough sense to not put it up on AZ.

Beard

ironman

Verified Member
A friend of mine just saw him last sunday (yesterday)...He is not doing well, but he is still among us...Hang in there kid..!

Danny and I have a long history. He is a dear and personal friend and I have seen him go up and down over and over again.
I talk to him 3-4 each week now as we are separated with him stillin Colorado and me in Texas. I t is hard to gert a good read on the situation, but he sounds just like always. his high's are seldom just real high and Low"s are seldom real low. He is upbeat and optomistic, even while enduring chemo.
Danny is like a brother to me and when we talk I feel very ashamed because I'm the one who gets choked up.
He could be out on the road, busted, and waked up from sleepingin his car and find a positive in it.
I am so truely grateful he has his daughter to be with now. Please find time to send a prayer his way.

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Christ, what a battle he has had to wage the last decade. If pool players were warriors, he'd be a Spartan.

Freddie, the same thing happened with Rafael Martinez. Rumors started, and then someone on AZ said they had talked to Morro and it was true...we all know how that turned out (the RM thread was brought back from the dead recently on this site, too)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Shoulda known better. In my day long before emails and cell phones, there were routine rumors of the deaths of pool players. Most of them unfounded. The leader in most rumored demises was of course, Detroit Whitey. He was rumored to have died or been killed at least once every six months. We finally figured out that it was Whitey putting out the rumors himself. The number two guy to be falsely listed as deceased, next to Whitey, was Corn Bread Red. (This was a little before his days at the Rack when he was a real renegade.) Brooklyn Pancho and Atlanta's Ray Maples were a virtual tie for third. In their case it was probably more of a case of wishful thinking.

Beard

ironman

Verified Member
Shoulda known better. In my day long before emails and cell phones, there were routine rumors of the deaths of pool players. Most of them unfounded. The leader in most rumored demises was of course, Detroit Whitey. He was rumored to have died or been killed at least once every six months. We finally figured out that it was Whitey putting out the rumors himself. The number two guy to be falsely listed as deceased, next to Whitey, was Corn Bread Red. (This was a little before his days at the Rack when he was a real renegade.) Brooklyn Pancho and Atlanta's Ray Maples were a virtual tie for third. In their case it was probably more of a case of wishful thinking.

Beard

Back in the early 80's ieas in a clip joint in Bossieer City La. and this guy, FrediElliott comes to me and says Eddie Taylor had just passed.
Eddie was hanging in Shreveport at the time and I had become pretty attatched to the guy.
Anyway iI was drinking and having too good a time and at the news I became prtty emotional. Fred said they were collecting money for funeral expenses etc, and dug in and offered up $300.
The next dy I went to the old Guys & Dolls downtown and there sat Eddie in his usual Chair and I ran up and hugged the guy and he just looked at me like I had just fallen off a Turnip Truck. I explained the story to him and he just cracked up. "Bive me a little time here kid" he said.
I never saw that Fred again adn thei I heard he died of some cancer. If I could hve seen him, I might have saved him some struggles.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Back in the early 80's ieas in a clip joint in Bossieer City La. and this guy, FrediElliott comes to me and says Eddie Taylor had just passed.
Eddie was hanging in Shreveport at the time and I had become pretty attatched to the guy.
Anyway iI was drinking and having too good a time and at the news I became prtty emotional. Fred said they were collecting money for funeral expenses etc, and dug in and offered up $300.
The next dy I went to the old Guys & Dolls downtown and there sat Eddie in his usual Chair and I ran up and hugged the guy and he just looked at me like I had just fallen off a Turnip Truck. I explained the story to him and he just cracked up. "Bive me a little time here kid" he said.
I never saw that Fred again adn thei I heard he died of some cancer. If I could hve seen him, I might have saved him some struggles.

That, "chip in for the funeral," couldnt have gotten much traction in the case of Whitey, Maples and Pancho. CornBread, maybe. Although, I coulda possibly been moved a little for three of the above Secret Society members. The exception would be the extra treacherous, evil and obnoxious, Ray Maples. I never let Maples get behind me for the last 10 years of his life.

Beard

beatle

Verified Member
fred, add billy ray sudan to the list of always dead. he is again recently on it.

if you knew whitey then he would be most happy with a big bowl of olives near his grave.

joe veasey pulled a few dead man rumors. i still dont know for sure what his standing is. i know which way i am rooting for.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
[QUOTE=

if you knew whitey then he would be most happy with a big bowl of olives near his grave.

Ain't we a pair? I use to love olives. Ripe and green. Still do.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
fred, add billy ray sudan to the list of always dead. he is again recently on it.

joe veasey pulled a few dead man rumors. i still dont know for sure what his standing is. i know which way i am rooting for.

Joe Veasey was another one I had considered adding to the, "rumors of his demise have been exaggerated," list.

I still have never gotten "official" confirmation of Whitey's death yet!

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

If BRS is the guy who everyone called Billy Ray he was just in Detroit a few weeks ago. Has a wonderful game if you like playing 9-Ball on a bartable, otherwise he can't play anything.

Dennis

beatle

Verified Member
yea thats him dennis. fairly big guy not fat though. likes to use the hard hustle and intimidate everyone up to getting in a beef.

beatle

Verified Member
naw fred if whitey was still around you would hear rumors about some guy blowing his dog for a sawbuck.