My favorite quote.

John Brumback

Verified Member
And I came up with it too!! :D

" you are too smart to learn"

I just think this fits a lot of wanna be pool players. I'm just here to try to help by the way!! :lol John B.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

I just think this fits a lot of wanna be pool players. I'm just here to try to help by the way!! :lol John B.

I know just what you mean, lol. Even at the local level. If you tell them something or show them something you get, "I knew that." Sure you did. The funny thing is though, and this is where you get them back -- closer to the truth is that even though you showed and explained something, because it is over their head, it goes in one ear and out the other and they walk away still not knowing, even though of course they think they know, lol :D People are only capable of learning what they are truly ready to learn.

BTW, I am not trying to be a snob here -- I hate to admit the same thing applies to me! I am certain I have been shown or told things that I was not ready for and now that maybe I might be, I sure wish I could ask again ...

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Quick story;
I've played once a week for about 5 yrs with a cue maker friend.

When we started (I'm about 10/6 above his game) I'd say let me help you with that shot, you going at it wrong. I'd show him a better way, he'd say "that's not the way I shoot it." After the 3rd week I gave up.

The strange thing is he spends all his spare time watching pool, streams, video, what have you. He's a bona fide pool nut.

Too stubborn to learn.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
My favorite quote.

One of my favorite quotes is ... "The Wise man is he who knows when to ask questions".

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I think sometimes, for me at least, there were times I was taught something or shown something to help my game and I was sure there was something that I took away from it but at the end of the day if I didn't continually practice the shot or put myself in the situation to get out of it over and over, I most likely forgot it since it never got cemented into my skull ;)

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

Don't you love it when someone asks you a question but then won't shut up long enough to hear you answer?

John Brumback

Verified Member
Don't you love it when someone asks you a question but then won't shut up long enough to hear you answer?

" you'll never learn anything while you're talking" Something along the lines of this?? :frus:lol JB

John Brumback

Verified Member
Quick story;
I've played once a week for about 5 yrs with a cue maker friend.

When we started (I'm about 10/6 above his game) I'd say let me help you with that shot, you going at it wrong. I'd show him a better way, he'd say "that's not the way I shoot it." After the 3rd week I gave up.

The strange thing is he spends all his spare time watching pool, streams, video, what have you. He's a bona fide pool nut.

Too stubborn to learn.

Little buddy...he probably said it this away........"BUT" this is the way I... blah blah blah ...........:lol The Skipper.

John Brumback

Verified Member
I know just what you mean, lol. Even at the local level. If you tell them something or show them something you get, "I knew that." Sure you did. The funny thing is though, and this is where you get them back -- closer to the truth is that even though you showed and explained something, because it is over their head, it goes in one ear and out the other and they walk away still not knowing, even though of course they think they know, lol :D People are only capable of learning what they are truly ready to learn.

BTW, I am not trying to be a snob here -- I hate to admit the same thing applies to me! I am certain I have been shown or told things that I was not ready for and now that maybe I might be, I sure wish I could ask again ...

You can get a pass,Steve..haha JB

RedCard

Verified Member
An old card guy told me this years ago:

'It's what you know after you know it all that counts'.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
When im asked if I can improve someone game...." You can't make ice cream out of horse shit" and " I can heal the sick but I can't raise the dead"

RedCard

Verified Member
Diet

Diet

Stay up all night to keep from sleepin'
And sleep all day to keep from eatin'.

John Brumback

Verified Member
A phrase around here when you fancy up something that was junky: "Well, hell, you took chicken shit and made chicken salad!"

I just heard this yesterday!! The man at the hardware store told a guy that he was trying to make chickin salad out of chickin shit:eek::lol JB

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I was getting my kid up for school one day and he said "Why do i have to go to school? You know everything. I'll just ask you"... :lol