Efren Reyes' Game of Choice!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
say it aint so! :eek:

I mean of course we all know his game today is not what it used to be but I still think he could beat anyone on a given day. He will always be one if the best of not the best pool player that I had ever know of and if he wants to retire, he deserves it.

I was very jealous of those who to got to play him the challenge matches for $100 race to 3 recently, would have been something...

Also, after reading the article, it talks bout how it just doesn't make sense to pay the entries and air fare/accommodations and then break even if you are lucky...

It's a shame there isn't more money in it for these top players!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Reyes said the game is different now. He currently plays one-pocket, not his signature 9-ball event, because the former is where the money is now.
Interesting that San Miguel Beer is a sponsor. :D
Read more here --> http://news.abs-cbn.com/sports/07/13/17/goodbye-the-magician-bata-reyes-eyes-retirement
Interesting article, JAM. Reyes is smart to retire while he's still near the top. You'd hate to see him scuffling around, often getting beaten by lesser players. OTOH, some guys talk about "retiring" for years before they do...:)

~Doc

FrenchAT

Verified Member
From
Augusta, Georgia
say it aint so! :eek:

I mean of course we all know his game today is not what it used to be but I still think he could beat anyone on a given day. He will always be one if the best of not the best pool player that I had ever know of and if he wants to retire, he deserves it.

I was very jealous of those who to got to play him the challenge matches for $100 race to 3 recently, would have been something...

Also, after reading the article, it talks bout how it just doesn't make sense to pay the entries and air fare/accommodations and then break even if you are lucky...

It's a shame there isn't more money in it for these top players!

You would think that the DCC and US Open 9 ball would pay his ticket just to have him in attendance. Thats the sad part. There's more than enough money being made at those events to take care of Efren. Bustamante lives in Germany, wouldn't be surprised to see him hanging around Europe a bit here and there in his later life, Germans live good.

JAM

Verified Member
You would think that the DCC and US Open 9 ball would pay his ticket just to have him in attendance. Thats the sad part. There's more than enough money being made at those events to take care of Efren. Bustamante lives in Germany, wouldn't be surprised to see him hanging around Europe a bit here and there in his later life, Germans live good.

I'm pretty sure Efren gets perks for attending DCC and other events. I know Greg Sullivan offers players like Efren incentives to come in the form of free items.

Same with U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship. I think the previous winners get free entry, which is significant.

JAM

Verified Member
Interesting article, JAM. Reyes is smart to retire while he's still near the top. You'd hate to see him scuffling around, often getting beaten by lesser players. OTOH, some guys talk about "retiring" for years before they do...:)

~Doc

Right. It's kind of like when pool players are at the top of their game, they have quite a few friends and fans. Let them get old and not be able to run a rack anymore or play well, these fickle friends and fans start to diminish. Seen it happen before with players. It's kind of sad.

Tony Chohan comes to mind right now. Right now he's on top of the world with a huge fan base for defeating Dennis Orcollo. Not to long ago, Tony came to a realization how many "real" friends he had when he was down on his luck. You could count them on one hand, sad to say.

What makes Efren so cool is he is very humble. That is a trait I admire about him the most, I think. He will always be king of pool in my lifetime. :cool:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Right. It's kind of like when pool players are at the top of their game, they have quite a few friends and fans. Let them get old and not be able to run a rack anymore or play well, these fickle friends and fans start to diminish. Seen it happen before with players. It's kind of sad.

Tony Chohan comes to mind right now. Right now he's on top of the world with a huge fan base for defeating Dennis Orcollo. Not to long ago, Tony came to a realization how many "real" friends he had when he was down on his luck. You could count them on one hand, sad to say.

What makes Efren so cool is he is very humble. That is a trait I admire about him the most, I think. He will always be king of pool in my lifetime. :cool:
Good points, JAM. I've liked Tony personally since I met him when he was a kid in the '90s, and I'm a big fan of his pool playing. But between the two guys (TC and DO), Tony's game --due to his brash methods-- will not last well into older age, whereas Dennis' style will permit him to be a contender for many years, like Irving Crane and E. Reyes.

OTOH Tony does have his excellent touch and safety capacities to fall back on, after his fancy shots leave him. As much as we'd all miss him, he's probably smart to consider another line of work while he still can, just as Frost apparently has done with his new pool room. It's always better to get out at the top. But until then, onward and upward for Mr. Chohan!

~Doc

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Efren, yes, all-time, head and shoulders. Tony Chohan, on the other hand, will be the subject of more discussions in the next year than any other player we have seen. He has just proven that his style of play, in his hands, is the very best today. He has made a believer out of me. I kept thinking that he could not continue to get away with this stuff, but he did. No doubt we will see others trying to do it like that - but can anyone else pull it off? It will be interesting to see. Tony Chohan has tossed a hand grenade into the world of one-pocket. :eek: