How about -- at some point -- a onepocket.org tourney in the Netherlands?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
When is there going to be a members tournament in The Hague?
That would be something
How many would come?
The owner would do everything to set you guys up good
The Hague is really nice and only 40 minutes from Amsterdam airport

Who organises the members tournament, who should I speak to?

Ultimately that would be all of the members here that make those tournaments happen! A team seems to develop for each member only tournament consisting of one or more of our members that live close to the host room, of course the host room owner/manager, certain members who always seem to step up to help with basics like collecting entry fees, Matt Hilton has been getting shirts made for those who want one, a tournament director on site, and so on -- it's definitely a team effort!! I am often just in the background, these guys do such a great job!!

There is basic criteria for the events -- at least 12 good condition 9' tables, suitable hotels and food available, and airport not too far since we come from all over. And an enthusiastic local member of OnePocket.org to act as "host" and liaison with the owner of the host room and steer the rest of us to local stuff -- that could be you and Pepin!!

For your location -- being a little more of a commitment from the US membership :D we should see how many of us would be up for going. It certainly would make for a spectacular location for us!! And as for cost, maybe you can do some research on what our hotels and meals might cost. Flights for us would vary depending on how convenient each of us is to an international airport of course.

But it sure would be a fun thing to do!! How about I start a new thread to talk about it and to begin to get a better idea what it would involve, and how many of us might really be up for attending? The thread can be an ongoing project... and the "when" of when it would be held is TBD -- "to be determined".

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Another question is, how many from over there would qualify (looking for active verified members of OnePocket.org)? There is you and Pepin and I would expect Peter Lau from Germany would try to attend. With the language barrier I am not sure how many others would be active enough in the forum here to reach our preferred qualifying guidelines...

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Members tournament

Members tournament

How many people would be willing to forgo this years Philly tournament for one year to have a members tournament at The Hague? I’m thinking September/ October is beautiful at that time of year. And would you be willing to postpone the undecided Philly tournament. I will honor a commitment for the Philly tournament 2020 if it is OK with Mitch the Beast.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Another question is, how many from over there would qualify (looking for active verified members of OnePocket.org)? There is you and Pepin and I would expect Peter Lau from Germany would try to attend. With the language barrier I am not sure how many others would be active enough in the forum here to reach our preferred qualifying guidelines...

There won’t be a language barrier. Unlike merica, Europeans are exposed to many languages and usually speak many languages. I know some people may not believe this but speaking different languages is considered a sign of intelligence. Just not here. And I started a thread too. Up all night. One of our members plays at noon, Al Markasky from Santa Cruz. Support him. Really great guy who went from me giving him 9-7 to him giving me a ball. ��.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I'd do everything in my power to go.
I got to meet up with Pepijn early last year. He and the owner of the pool room in the Hague were nice enough to meet up with me in Amsterdam.
I was jetlagged as hell and had to get back to wife and little one so didn't get to enjoy my night out as much as I would've liked, but I had a great time nonetheless and think a tournament there would be amazing.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
October in The Hague would be fantastic. Has there ever been a 1p tournament in Europe that included American players?

That room Hague 5 has hosted a number of One Pocket tournamnets -- it seems to be kind of the Euro hotbed for One Pocket thanks to Alex Lely and Pepin (both members here). I don't know if any Americans have entered any of their events -- they probably know.

OnePocket.org could sponsor a player for there, completely aside from the question of holding a member tournament there!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
How many people would be willing to forgo this years Philly tournament for one year to have a members tournament at The Hague? I’m thinking September/ October is beautiful at that time of year. And would you be willing to postpone the undecided Philly tournament. I will honor a commitment for the Philly tournament 2020 if it is OK with Mitch the Beast.

I merged these two threads Bill -- sorry I did not see yours in my bleary DCC state!

I'm not sure it would be good to do a Euro tournament instead of our US annual. Maybe try it in Europe once to see how it goes, but not to displace our state-side tournament?? Part of the reason we move our annual tournament around is to enable those who do not feel they can do the longer travel, to be able to have the annual tournament rotate to their area once in a while so it draws the local players that are not up for travel.

But I am all for seeing how many of us would go to the Hague, and I am very sure the Hague players would be very excited to host us as well!!

Eengat

Verified Member
Couple of things:
Would it be okay to have it early or late in the week instead of the weekend?
How many days,2?

It is dead in the center of the Hague
Around there you can find places to stay starting at 40 euro per night
That would be Through AirBnB.com
That is totally fine, often my preference over a hotel, especially if you like having your own kitchen

And then, when opting for sharing an apartment with other players, you'll find nicer places for same price per person
As said, its dead in the center, all around are hotels
10 minute walk or public transport....which is supereasy and quick, which enlarges the Airbnb and hotel-range
Take note, the Hague is our third biggest city
500.000 people only

If you look it up on the map you could also find a place in Scheveningen which is part of the Hague, at the sea. Would take you a very comfortable 10-15 minutes by tram
To go around you use google on your phone , easy as pie nobody gets lost nor hurt

It is very safe
Of course, anything can happen at any time
But very unlikely

As written earlier its a 35-40 minute train from airport to the Hague
From the Hague you have many nice cities as Leiden, Delft, Gouda and Amsterdam within a respective 15-5-20-40 minute train ride

But the Hague being the residence of the queen and the
parliament, knows many nice streets and musea and restaurants
From an easy 10 euro you can snack/eat
Simple restaurant you'll be fine for 20 euro
Mind you, no franchises...or way fewer than in US
Just good food
At the poolroom they will be able to give recomendations

I cannot speak for the owner. So i dont know if he would be offering a buffet
But what we would surely do, as they do so often in there, is just order thai or chinese or italian and have everyone eating together there

I made a nice pasta three weeks ago....could do that again

So we (host/poolroom) could go a long way to help cutting down on costs and have people eat together

Now from dollar to euro's
That sucks, cant help it
When i left for derby i changed euro to dollar 1 : 1
But coming back i got 0,8 euro for every dollar
So instead of tripling my bankroll, it turned out to be doubled and then some

Other questions?

How active is active in regarding to forum-membership and participation?
If it would be restricted to genuine active members, i think we'd be thinking about maybe adding or combining with secondary tournament. I am sure that the locals and the foreigners who always come to the tournaments would like to have the chance to learn from US-players

If it were to happen of course

Gr A

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
It won’t be safe after OPOrg players get there. As far as sightseeing, during tournaments I’m in action from opening to close.

gethindavies

October 1P tournament

October 1P tournament

Count me in and a few more Amsterdammers too I reckon. :cool:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
With enough time and planning, I would be willing to go.

I would agree -- this is one of the things that would be necessary to get more of us there -- a long lead time. As for cost, it might be that the airfare is the biggest difference from for example flying across country for a US events. Once we get there, room and meals and sundries might be no significant difference.

So with a long lead time, what time of year do you guys like? And is there a chance that enough (from both here and over there) could make it our annual event for a year, or should we hold our annual event here in the states anyway, and make this more like a group outing, that combines with a local Dutch One Pocket group? I am thinking the latter is more realistic -- at least this first time... something like 12-16 US players and similar Euro players??

Travel costs would vary more on time of year for this than an event in the states I would guess. Fortunately though, Amsterdam I think is one of the more accessible flight destinations from the US, with some of the more competitive airfares. I would want to make that a consideration -- but also keep it a pleasant time of year for being there. So maybe spring or fall would be best. Spring conflicting with Memphis maybe, but the thing about Memphis is it is easy to get to for a nice circle of or players, so it might not be as much of a conflict as for example the senior, which many of us have to fly a good way for.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I would go.
I haven't been to Amsterdam in 20 years, but it would be great to attend.
I saw Alex Lely for the first time playing banks against Neil Jacobs and holding his own for 200 a pop.

Eengat

Verified Member
dodged a bullit there
got even after 2 hours, took my money and ran

was the only thing he wanted to play. seems like a nice guy though

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Or, to keep the costs down do a state to state competition CLOSE to you. First form a group of eight. Choose the players that are one state away and match up one set in one state and then in return that player must come to your state to play another set. Next have all the others players in your group do the same. So a 8 man group could play, blind draw 4 players and play eight sets. Four in your turf and 4 in theirs. Turn in all score sheets on line here and the final two play for the cash. That's 25% of the field being paid.

You could easily do best of 3 outta 5 sets race to 3, with two dinner breaks allowed and get it done in one day. Or you both could drive and meet somewhere in the middle. Just throwin' out ideas.

It could work. All the prize funds go to the final two, payout percentages???? 60/40? 70/30? 65/35? The sixty five 35 sounds best.