DCC Report Continued

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
First off - what a venue. It had been 10 years since last visit. Sure enjoyed seeing all of our members there. Had a ball visiting with everyone and seeing some old pool friends I haven't seen for 10 or more years.

My bank pool matches went like this - 1st round, won - 2nd round won.
3rd round drew a monster, but very nice guy, Joshua Filler. Josh had his wife, Pia, distracting me with her beauty. LOL Anyways, I went hill-hill with Josh, down to 2 balls left on table and over hit a bank that I was really playing safe on, left him a simple cross side. Very nice couple and man what a champion player Josh is.(Current reigning World Champ).

I was put out of the banks by one of Indianapolis's better players(and nicer guy), Ron Solgot.

Why do we go to tourneys where we know we are going to have outrun the nuts to do good ? Here is the reason - 1st round in 1pkt , I draw Chris Melling from England, arguably in the top 5 in world. Have a chance to win a couple of games, but can't make the 8th ball. 5 shots at game ball in last game, just could not make it.

2nd game in 1pkt I draw Marc Bijsterbosch from Holland. Get lucky and win against Niel's roommate. 3rd game, run into a buzzsaw, Josh Oneal, from Nashville. Josh played really well and won handily.

I had visions of doing as well as I did 10 yrs ago, finished 31st in 1pkt then. But, I did get to play champions and get back some seasoning. I feel like I still play pretty good at age 70.

Did better in gambling matches. Looking forward to Memphis soiree and even more to our 4th members annual tourney. PHILLY ??

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
First off - what a venue. It had been 10 years since last visit. Sure enjoyed seeing all of our members there. Had a ball visiting with everyone and seeing some old pool friends I haven't seen for 10 or more years.

3rd round drew a monster, but very nice guy, Joshua Filler. Josh had his wife, Pia, distracting me with her beauty. LOL Anyways, I went hill-hill with Josh, down to 2 balls left on table and over hit a bank that I was really playing safe on, left him a simple cross side. Very nice couple and man what a champion player Josh is.(Current reigning World Champ).

I was put out of the banks by one of Indianapolis's better players(and nicer guy), Ron Solgot.

Why do we go to tourneys where we know we are going to have outrun the nuts to do good ? Here is the reason - 1st round in 1pkt , I draw Chris Melling from England, arguably in the top 5 in world. Have a chance to win a couple of games, but can't make the 8th ball. 5 shots at game ball in last game, just could not make it.

2nd game in 1pkt I draw Marc Bijsterbosch from Holland. Get lucky and win against Niel's roommate. 3rd game, run into a buzzsaw, Josh Oneal, from Nashville. Josh played really well and won handily.

I had visions of doing as well as I did 10 yrs ago, finished 31st in 1pkt then. But, I did get to play champions and get back some seasoning. I feel like I still play pretty good at age 70.

Did better in gambling matches. Looking forward to Memphis soiree and even more to our 4th members annual tourney. PHILLY ??

Josh Oneil plays great. If he hadn't quit pool to work 7-8 yrs ago he would probably be a top player by now. One of my favorites from around here.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Josh Oneil plays great. If he hadn't quit pool to work 7-8 yrs ago he would probably be a top player by now. One of my favorites from around here.

I played Josh twice around 7-8 years ago at JOB. He’s one heck of a good player. He’s a top player in Banks, 1P, and 9 ball.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
By the way, I watched part of your action match in the action room....you are playing really strong. I am sure your opponent felt the same.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Nice write up Robert, thanks. Always nice to hear the inside scoop of what went on with our brothers. Heck, you started out playing Scott Frost, it could only go up from there, right? hahahaha

Until next time,
Dave

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Good write up.. I watched one of your bank matches.. You beat some fellow in record time.. Played real good...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the report Robert and good to see you again! 70? Dang you play good for any age, hope I play half as good when I get there...

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
DCC Report Continued

What a pleasure to spend some time hanging out. You are a pleasure to be around Mr Newkirk! I was going to give you a hard time about ducking me again, but after watching you shoot... I’m ok with it 😂

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Robert, you're definitely a hell of a player, and that's an understatement. And even though we went back and forth for many hours, you ultimately prevailed and shot phenomenally well to get the dough. I was out of juice after 3 night of sleep deprivation. But man, those last 7 games we played, you never missed a shot, played like a demon, and suffocated the hell out of me with some first-class moves.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Peter

Jimmy B

Verified Member
You were there? Hope to meet you someday!

No, man.. I would have looked you up and spoke to you if I was.. TV Mike was showing matches and he had Mr. Newkirk on playing a fellow named Randal Parter, I think..

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
robert
great report
it was great to meet you and play in houston.
i will never forget that bank shot i made .....:)
too bad it was into YOUR pocket..:eek:...:frus......:eek:

chicagomike

Verified Member

You’re a tough egg to crack Robert...you played well. Always a pleasure seeing you and the rest of our troops. See you in Memphis!

koldcash

I watched those 7 games you won in a row....you put quite the performance on, well played!