High runs, favorite drills, practice habits

youngstown

Verified Member
What are your high runs in short rack, or full rack, or just practice where you throw out 9 balls, or for Freddy's bank drill or other drills maybe you made up.

I remember JB said he just likes to see how many he can make in a row with BIH, that's a great stroke drill. Anybody have any big #s they want to share, or other drills?

I've done a lot with Freddy's bank drill, tried a straight back version of it, tried throwing out balls and starting with BIH. I've tried setting up straight in cross sides with a ball lined up to first diamond next to side, also tried using second diamond, it's interesting to see what others do. Would love to try out others favorite drills...

I once asked a guy how he got good at banking and the guy told me he likes to do a 1p banking drill, but IDK what drill he's talking about, and since he didn't tell me I didn't bother asking.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I wish I could do drills but every time I walk in the poolball... Someone wants to play me 😳. Probably a bad sign 😂

youngstown

Verified Member

I wish I could do drills but every time I walk in the poolball... Someone wants to play me 😳. Probably a bad sign 😂
I often forget that not everyone has their poolroom in their basement. Around 95% of the time I hold a cue, it's at home.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
...Not really much of a drill -- but I like throwing out only 3 balls. That way balls are not blocking much at all, and it is not out of the question for me to run all three. It feels real good to run the table even if it is only three balls :D:D

If I banked better maybe I would roll out 4 or 5. But there is nothing better than running the table so I keep it real with just 3. If I miss after one or two banks, I roll another ball or two back out so there are three to start with again. It gives me something to shoot for when I am just practicing that way.

youngstown

Verified Member

...Not really much of a drill -- but I like throwing out only 3 balls. That way balls are not blocking much at all, and it is not out of the question for me to run all three. It feels real good to run the table even if it is only three balls :D:D

If I banked better maybe I would roll out 4 or 5. But there is nothing better than running the table so I keep it real with just 3. If I miss after one or two banks, I roll another ball or two back out so there are three to start with again. It gives me something to shoot for when I am just practicing that way.
I like that idea. It's like you're playing the 3 ball bank ghost :)

Last edited:

youngstown

Verified Member
The drill I've practiced the most is Freddy's bank drill, except that I put almost all balls one ball away from the rail. Someday I'll complete it...

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
drills and high runs

drills and high runs

I place all 15 balls down the center of the table, banking the balls across the corner and across the side. Last time I tried it I banked 14 out of 15 with 4.25 inch pro cut pockets, diamond table, that was a week before the last Dcc, I FELT, I was ready at this point.

High runs in DCC, last week, banked 9 in a row against Rodney Morris.

A few years back in the bank Mini at DCC against Dave Matlock I banked 5 and out back to back for a total of ten banks in a tourney match.
I might add I drew Brumback, and he drilled me after that.

tradr48

banks high run

banks high run

A few years back a friend of the late Vernon Elliot told me he saw Vernon run 30, two full racks, in practice. If you knew Vernon, you tend to believe it!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I don't remember exactly but I believe Taylor ran 37 in tourney play.

That 37 number was apparently on Taylor's exhibition poster. I believe he said when I interviewed him that he was playing someone for $2/ball and they were playing to run out all 15 balls. He finished up one rack, ran the entire next rack, and most of the following rack for a total of 37. I think he said he was playing Bob Boles but I am not sure about that.

John Brumback

Verified Member
I don't remember exactly but I believe Taylor ran 37 in tourney play.

I heard he ran a bunch one day goofin off and then ran some more the next day.Something like that. Not to take anyway from the best ever but it sounded a lil fishy to me. John B.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I heard he ran a bunch one day goofin off and then ran some more the next day.Something like that. Not to take anyway from the best ever but it sounded a lil fishy to me. John B.

As I said I don't remember exactly but he did bank pretty well. I probably read it on this site.