A little spin follow

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Alright, here is an example of a very nice "playing the cue ball" move by Scott Frost after Shannon Daulton (I think) broke the balls in a Galveston match. It was a pretty good break, and I wouldn't have thought Scott could get the cue ball to go where he put it. But Scott laid a little spin follow on the cue ball that really opened up the angle on the cue ball.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AGob3BXru3CGwt4DBCG3EBRp4FEUE3GGyo4HNDQ3IDvL3JYMR4KCPp3LTXm3MAsH4NCjR4OHva4PTdd@3AGob3BXru3CGwt4DBCG3EBRp4FEUE3GGyo4HNDQ3IDvL3JYMN4KCPp3LTXm3MAsH4NCjR4OHva4PTdd3eYMN3eTNN4jHva3jFdh3jXvg3jbAf3jVbP4kTdd4kJSM3kFtj3kakx2uBfO@[/CUETABLE]

Scott's move uses the same principle as the time-honored spin draw position shot like this (below), but how often do you think of these spin-off-the-rail-shots as a follow opportunity, too?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AJtA3BbYE4PVLn4UJtA3Ubbn4kVLn4kMNw4kbyg1kDbQzc4uCEM@[/CUETABLE]

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
NH Steve said:
Scott's move uses the same principle as the time-honored spin draw position shot like this (below), but how often do you think of these spin-off-the-rail-shots as a follow opportunity, too?

Most of the time it's a player with 3 cushion experience (excludes Arizona) who knows this follow-spin shot and when to use it. The cueball can be made to really open up on shots like this.

Skin

Verified Member
The spin-follow shot is common in 9b. And it is fine as far as just playing position into the open or onto a rail. But if you intend to freeze the cb against a couple of other balls, even if you get the speed perfect, the left over spin can throw those balls apart and ruin the shot. Been there. :)

Skin

beatle

Verified Member
it worked but too easy to sell out. plus i would rather move the eight closer to my long rail where it can be made soon. where it is doesnt give it much play in a few shots.
against most players i would hit the thirteen and freeze him to the eleven and five. i might have a good angle to move it and the one and maybe two over to my side.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
As I see the layout in the diagram, I think I probably would have slid off the 8-ball myself. I was impressed with Scott's finesse in executing the shot he chose, though. That's why I posted this. Here is the actual screen shot from the moment in the match. You can see I didn't get the 14 ball quite in the right spot -- apparently it was in the way a little to play off the 8 naturally.

Attachments

• Frost1.JPG
    Frost1.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 0

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
As I look at it now, I think a better shot -- if you hit it good -- would be to kick the long way behind the 10-ball. Like this:

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AGob3BXru3CGwt4DBCG3EBRp4FEUE3GGyo4HNDQ3IDvL3JYMR4KCPp3LTXm3MAsH4NCjR4OHva4PTdd3eYMR3eTwF4kTdd2kAfk3kayh3kajE3kbYr3kYuN@[/CUETABLE]

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
NH Steve said:
As I look at it now, I think a better shot -- if you hit it good -- would be to kick the long way behind the 10-ball. Like this:

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AGob3BXru3CGwt4DBCG3EBRp4FEUE3GGyo4HNDQ3IDvL3JYMR4KCPp3LTXm3MAsH4NCjR4OHva4PTdd3eYMR3eTwF4kTdd2kAfk3kayh3kajE3kbYr3kYuN@[/CUETABLE]
When I looked at the actual photo of the position, coming off the 8 ball isn't an option, but your kick option is a good shot providing the 2 ball isn't in the path of the kick.

The shot that Scott chose is a difficult shot to execute, but he really didn't have another option other than the kick. His choice was best for him because he is familiar with the feel and hit that it takes to execute that particular shot. Bottom line, familiarize yourself with differen't type of shots that may come up in a game, especially if that type of shot will give you life in a situation where there isn't another option.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
When I looked at the actual photo of the position, coming off the 8 ball isn't an option, but your kick option is a good shot providing the 2 ball isn't in the path of the kick.

The shot that Scott chose is a difficult shot to execute, but he really didn't have another option other than the kick. His choice was best for him because he is familiar with the feel and hit that it takes to execute that particular shot. Bottom line, familiarize yourself with differen't type of shots that may come up in a game, especially if that type of shot will give you life in a situation where there isn't another option.
But the eight in front ove the pocket and the cue ball on the rail behind the 12 ball. Simple and prodoctive. And What I seen in Eferins game is he shoots better with english then anyone other player.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:

But the eight in front ove the pocket and the cue ball on the rail behind the 12 ball. Simple and prodoctive. And What I seen in Eferins game is he shoots better with english then anyone other player that I seen. And Efren makes the balls with english or no english. And he also rolles the balls better then anyone I seen. He is without a dought the most talanted player I have seen.