Daulton vs. Richeson 1998 LOP

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Daulton vs. Richeson 1998 LOP

Yeah. Good thing he didn't take a low percentage shot...😱😱. Jk doc. This was a great WWYD. Thank you very much for posting it. Lots of options.

Good call Miller!! Looks like we're back to even 😁

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Great shot, yet sort of heartbreaking to hit it that good but not have anything drop!

Well, we've got some pretty sharp shooters on the site! Miller gets the cookie for guessing the shot Shannon selected.

Cardone and Grady commentated, and Grady was just explaining why he might choose that shot, when Shannon stepped up and fired at it.

View attachment 11757

I'd thought he might have shot the 1 or the 9, but on closer examination, the 1 is a very tricky cut (more so than it shows from this angle), and Shannon wanted to make sure to remove the 5, since the 5 was makeable from just about anywhere on the table.

Incidentally, this is not an easy bank. I tried it 3 or 4 times before I hit it as good as did Shannon. Here was the leave:

View attachment 11758

But this is a great example of a top player who is an excellent shot maker showing restraint in order to put himself in a much better position. Being down 6-2 many of us would have taken one of the two low percentage shots in attempt to run some balls.

~Doc

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I like Shannon's aggressive nature, but he chose to ignore a riskless three rail shot with a natural cue ball roll back up table for a shot which could easily go wrong by the way he elected to play the cue ball. As it is, he did a pretty nice job of it.
JMHO,

Tom

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I like Shannon's aggressive nature, but he chose to ignore a riskless three rail shot with a natural cue ball roll back up table for a shot which could easily go wrong by the way he elected to play the cue ball. As it is, he did a pretty nice job of it.
JMHO,

Tom

When I first looked at the layout, I was thinking ''if could hold my cue ball behind the three balls and shoot the same three rail bank......but the cue ball moving the cluster could work to my disadvantage. I also thought of just cutting the five ball and putting the cue ball back up table.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
When I first looked at the layout, I was thinking ''if could hold my cue ball behind the three balls and shoot the same three rail bank......but the cue ball moving the cluster could work to my disadvantage. I also thought of just cutting the five ball and putting the cue ball back up table.
Yeah, I also liked Hacker's suggestion of two-railing the 5 ball, providing a guy could hold the CB down near the foot rail. The reason: it makes it much more difficult for the opponent to knock any balls away from the shooter's hole. I believe the 5 could be made if it hit the second rail to the pocket side of the 7 (laying on the head rail). If made, the shooter would be off to the races.

As it was, after Shannon's leave, Richie could then dig the 5 outta there..... and he did.

~Doc

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Yeah, I also liked Hacker's suggestion of two-railing the 5 ball, providing a guy could hold the CB down near the foot rail. The reason: it makes it much more difficult for the opponent to knock any balls away from the shooter's hole. I believe the 5 could be made if it hit the second rail to the pocket side of the 7 (laying on the head rail). If made, the shooter would be off to the races.

As it was, after Shannon's leave, Richie could then dig the 5 outta there..... and he did.

~Doc

I also thought of the five ball kick bank ticky....

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Shooting the 3-rail and contacting the first ball in the cluster (13?) risked scratching in the side or the corner, or hitting the 9 full if the 5 was pocketed. He got away with it but I still don't like it. (Think: auto mechanic correcting a rocket scientist. :eek: )