Pro Players Championship at the Expo

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I have known Bob for years. He beat me in the one pocket tournament in Galveston a few years back. He played well and made some terrific banks on me.

First guy I ever saw who played with no ferrule and the tip glued to the shaft. The cue was a Balabushka.

Bob has probably done as much to promote pool as anyone. A certified BCA Instructor for years and very involved with the organizations that run three cushion and snooker in the USA.
Yeah, Bob is "Mr. Cue Sports", who plays all the games well. But his knowledge of physics, his videoed experiments, his many research articles, and his personal instruction is what made him such a gift to the cue sports community. Didn't he work with you on the old Cue Sports Journal?

Evidently Jason Brown is a player to watch! Beating Deuel and Pettipiece back-to-back puts him into the tall cotton. It'll be interesting to see how he does against Woodward. Could be a slugfest.

That's a strange format, what with the final 8 going to single elimination. I suppose that time was the main consideration.

~Doc

JAM

Verified Member
That is a strange format. They do that in some international events, going from double elimination to singe elimination.

Of course, the players know that going in, so I guess that's okay.

Allen Hopkins gives the best trophies I've ever seen in pool. They are beautiful.

I really don't like the payouts, though. $2,000 for first place in the majority of a field that consists of 48 world beaters with a hefty entry fee, it seems more like you're playing for bragging rights and tin cups. And that's okay if that's what you want. $225 entry fee and $2,000 for first place. I don't know if I like it, but I am very appreciative of Allen Hopkins for keeping this magnificant event alive each year for us pool peeps. :)

JAM

Verified Member
I would like to add one thing about Allen Hopkins. One year at the SBE in the Pro/Am event, Allen added an additional $2,000 while the tournament was in progress to the purse. It was really cool for him to do so. He didn't have to, but he did.

The only bummer for me was that this was the *only* SBE event that didn't have a first and second place trophy. They only had a first place trophy. I wanted that trophy. I didn't care about the dough. Keith wanted the dough and didn't care about the trophy.

Shannon Daulton wanted both, and he won both in a nail-biting double-hill finale against Keith. :heh

Man, we were so close. Second place paid well, though, as I recall, but no trophy. :D

Attachments

• Keith and Shannon 2005 SBE.JPG
    Keith and Shannon 2005 SBE.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 0

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Would you have mentioned it if you didn't?!?

I relayed my ONLY playing encounter with Bob, that's all! As another member did, He stated He lost, I stated I won! I can assure you, I can recall loosing games far easier than games I've won!

I hope I've answered YOUR question to YOUR satisfaction!

BTW, I would appreciate if you're going to quote my post, please do it in it's entirety and the correct context!

Bob definitely is a supporter of the cue games! I've never seen Him hit a pool ball, but, I know He plays a little 3C.

In 2002 at Chris's they tried a 'double elimination' 3C tournament for the first time, race to 2, 15 point games! I played Him and His buddy Bob Byrne back to back! I won both matches!

Last edited:

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Relax, Bill, just capitalizing on pool players' propensities to trumpet wins and not mentions losses. A great local player once said at the beginning of a session that he played so-and-so yesterday. I asked if he won. He replied, "Wold I have mentioned if I didn't?" I laughed heartily.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Relax, Bill, just capitalizing on pool players' propensities to trumpet wins and not mentions losses. A great local player once said at the beginning of a session that he played so-and-so yesterday. I asked if he won. He replied, "Wold I have mentioned if I didn't?" I laughed heartily.

Once again, I just relayed my story of playing both Bob's, the ONE and ONLY time! I gave the outcome, that's all! :)

But, I will say this, if either of those 2 guys beat me playing 3C, I'd slit my wrists! :):)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
anybody know what the results for this were? where did bernie finish?
I'm surprised that they haven't yet posted the winners. That's typical though. All the attention goes into promotion. The actual results are whenever they get to them....:D

The final 8 bracket only has two winners from the first single elim. flight. Kiamco beat Justin Hall! So Warren's game has come way up.

I heard that Corey was in the finals, but that's all I've heard. Maybe they'll get around to posting the results later in the month.:rolleyes:

~Doc

bernie p

Verified Member
I'm surprised that they haven't yet posted the winners. That's typical though. All the attention goes into promotion. The actual results are whenever they get to them....:D

The final 8 bracket only has two winners from the first single elim. flight. Kiamco beat Justin Hall! So Warren's game has come way up.

I heard that Corey was in the finals, but that's all I've heard. Maybe they'll get around to posting the results later in the month.:rolleyes:

~Doc

Hi Doc,

Regarding the final 8 single elimination phase:
-Warren beats Justin Hall
-Jason Brown beats Skyler
-Philip Wines beats Kielar
-Deuel beats Morgan.

Semi's:
-Brown beats Warren,
-Corey beats Wines

Final:
Brown beats Corey 5-3

I came in 9th place ($750), having 2 chances to get into the final 8 (losing to both Brown and Deuel).

They both played terrific one pocket against me, and I was especially impressed with Jason Brown's game, considering that I have never heard his name associated with top level one pocket. I don't believe I have ever seen him at the Derby. His overall level of moving, and ball running was exemplary.

I made minimal mistakes, but when I did they both punished me hard, running out in almost all instances.

This was my first Expo and I would seriously consider making this my 2nd traveling tourney of the year beyond the Derby (now that the US Open is on haitus).

The pro arena table layout, tiered spectator seating and equipment were great. My only critique was that the allotted 2 hr match timeframe for a race to 4, was sometimes a tight squeeze (US Open allots 3 hrs). I did not have a problem with it, but the occasional match that was hill- hill went understandably longer. They did however, keep the last 8 finals on schedule.

Bernie.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Hi Doc,

Regarding the final 8 single elimination phase:
-Warren beats Justin Hall
-Jason Brown beats Skyler
-Philip Wines beats Kielar
-Deuel beats Morgan.

Semi's:
-Brown beats Warren,
-Corey beats Wines

Final:
Brown beats Corey 5-3

I came in 9th place ($750), having 2 chances to get into the final 8 (losing to both Brown and Deuel).

They both played terrific one pocket against me, and I was especially impressed with Jason Brown's game, considering that I have never heard his name associated with top level one pocket. I don't believe I have ever seen him at the Derby. His overall level of moving, and ball running was exemplary.

I made minimal mistakes, but when I did they both punished me hard, running out in almost all instances.

This was my first Expo and I would seriously consider making this my 2nd traveling tourney of the year beyond the Derby (now that the US Open is on haitus).

The pro arena table layout, tiered spectator seating and equipment were great. My only critique was that the allotted 2 hr match timeframe for a race to 4, was sometimes a tight squeeze (US Open allots 3 hrs). I did not have a problem with it, but the occasional match that was hill- hill went understandably longer. They did however, keep the last 8 finals on schedule.

Bernie.

congrats on another very strong showing bernie.
:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... I came in 9th place ($750), having 2 chances to get into the final 8 (losing to both Brown and Deuel).

I made minimal mistakes, but when I did they both punished me hard, running out in almost all instances. ...
Thanks for the nice report, Bernie! I'm glad to hear that you cashed. On another day you'd certainly have been in the final 8.

Jason Brown seems to have come out of nowhere (like Nick Vita did 10 years ago) to be a seemingly major contender. I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of him.

BTW, did Scott say why he didn't play in the 1P? I supposed it was that the 10-ball had better payouts.

Cheers~
Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Thanks for the nice report, Bernie! I'm glad to hear that you cashed. On another day you'd certainly have been in the final 8.

Jason Brown seems to have come out of nowhere (like Nick Vita did 10 years ago) to be a seemingly major contender. I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of him.

BTW, did Scott say why he didn't play in the 1P? I supposed it was that the 10-ball had better payouts.

Cheers~
Doc

I believe he is playing in all the Mosconi Cup points events Doc.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Cheers~
Doc

Jason brown, aka J Bird was around here for quite a while, won many local tourneys with competition like Raphael and Sylver.
I believe he's from N Carolina.
Rod.
P.S. Several local players seemed to think he played better than Sylver. I was sorta doubtful but who knows.
I never saw him play, just heard rumors.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I believe he is playing in all the Mosconi Cup points events Doc.

It's neat to see a player set goals and actually have a target like the Mosconi Cup. I remember during the Trudeau/IPT events, some old school players were popping up like mushrooms and played reeeeeeeeeeeeeal well. Some names I never ever heard of. There's a ton of dormant talent in the states.

unoperro

Verified Member
Jason brown, aka J Bird was around here for quite a while, won many local tourneys with competition like Raphael and Sylver.
I believe he's from N Carolina.
Rod.
P.S. Several local players seemed to think he played better than Sylver. I was sorta doubtful but who knows.
I never saw him play, just heard rumors.

Was he running around with Abood?

he was around DFW for a while. Heard his 9ball game was better then Gary's.