1p table

Lucasi53

Joplin, MO used to have a pair of 1p tables. The tables only had the 2 corner pockets (the remains rails were billiard rails). In addition to the unique design, my memory recalls the balls were racked at the opposite end of the table (I never saw anyone playing, so perhaps they were just placed this way at the time I was visiting). Just wondering if anyone has this setup?

Sadly the place was completely destroyed by a tornado. I think this would add some new shots in the game + fewer scratches.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
OK Bar and Billiards in Joplin still has one of those tables last time I was in there. Nobody ever plays on it that I've seen however.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
From my picture files...

From my picture files...

OK Bar and Billiards in Joplin still has one of those tables last time I was in there. Nobody ever plays on it that I've seen however.

Here's the one in Joplin >>>

Attachments

• 2 POCKET TABLE OK B & B JOPLIN MO..jpg
    2 POCKET TABLE OK B & B JOPLIN MO..jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Here's the one in Joplin >>>

I played a half dozen games on it -- or its twin -- when it was in the previous location. The balls are racked at the top of the table. I didn't care for it, but that's probably to be expected until one gets used to it and learns the basic differences in strategy/tactics.

Both tables used to get a reasonable amount of play, but only from the daytime old folks.

I banned myself from the OK bar after the owner/manager told me I'd shot an illegal shot when I played a swerve. (They also make you break -- even in 1P -- off of a little circle of felt that's placed under the CB.)

beatle

Verified Member
looks like one of those two tables has the pockets on the wrong end.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It makes one wonder at what time in history was one-pocket popular enough to justify building special tables for that game alone? Maybe after Lingo introduced the game? Or maybe those tables were used for a game that was unique, apart from our modern 1P.

There would be a lot of differences from the game we play to the one played on the 2-pocket tables. It would be similar in reverse to playing 3C on a 5 X 10 pool table...:)

~Doc

Lucasi53

Thanks for sharing. Although Corners sounds similar, I just think the setup would prove interesting for 1p. Players would soon learn new shots and tactics. Something new.....

chicagomike

Verified Member
Pretty interesting stuff...just whe you think you know a lot about a little you realize you know little about a lot.