David sisemor

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Anybody remember a guy from my era, 60s, 70s named David Sisemor.

He was truly a character of the pool rooms and should be written about, LOL.

He was not a great player by no means, he wasn't a good player by no means.

He was a good shortstop at best, but he was a gambling son of a b---h!

Man when this guy had money every one was fair game, he would play anyone if the game was right and bet higher than he had in his pocket.

He hung out in down town Houston for a few months I guess and when he had money the whole place was alive and he had the floor.

He talked trash with the best of them and would bet a little dog could whip the two biggin's, lol.

ANYWHO, after he left Houston, I heard a story about him playing some good player on the east coast he had riled up and played for two thousand a game.

He lost the first game and couldn't pay up! Man was that David Sisemor, what a character the guy was, he was entertaining when he had a pocket full or when he was broke.

I believe he died at an early age, go figure, but it sure was fun being in the same pool room with him back in the day.

That is why I loved the game because of David Sisemor's, he made life fun!

If you knew this character please put something on paper.

Jimmy B

Verified Member

Man when this guy had money every one was fair game, he would play anyone if the game was right and bet higher than he had in his pocket.

He hung out in down town Houston for a few months I guess and when he had money the whole place was alive and he had the floor.

He talked trash with the best of them and would bet a little dog could whip the two biggin's, lol.

ANYWHO, after he left Houston, I heard a story about him playing some good player on the east coast he had riled up and played for two thousand a game.

He lost the first game and couldn't pay up! Man was that David Sisemor, what a character the guy was, he was entertaining when he had a pocket full or when he was broke.

I believe he died at an early age, go figure, but it sure was fun being in the same pool room with him back in the day.

Yes, I knew that character a little bit. It was spelled with a z though. Sizemore. He didn't just die at an early age. He was murdered, but I don't know by who. I would rank him a little higher. I saw him play some good nineball, but not as good as you, of course. I noticed some sources have Sizemore as coming from Augusta Ga and Burton from Oklahoma City, but they were actually from Anderson SC, right up the street from me.

Just a little side story. A couple of days after they killed David, I was picking up a pool player to go try to play a guy, and I told him I was stopping off at the funeral home, because they were having visitation for Sizemore. Even though this guy knew David pretty good, he said he didn't want to go in there, but gave no reason. After I parked I told him he was dressed nice and that nobody but family, if even them, would be there, so get your ass out and walk in with me for a few minutes, and then we'll get going.

He said well, OK then. We go in and sure enough, just two old ladies I think, and they were family, and they just talked to each other the few minutes we were there. I signed a guest book as I was leaving, but mine was the only sig in the book. So it goes for the pool players...

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

David was playing a set of nine ball at Verne Peterson's Billiard Palace in Bellflower in the late 60's/early 70's. David missed an easy ball that cost him the set. He raised the cue with both hands over his head and one of the rail birds said 'Don't do it, I will give you a hundred for it.' David turned his head and said 'Too late' and smashed it to pieces. I heard later it was not his cue.

beatle

Verified Member
him and joe veasy were two of a kind. would do anything to anybody to take a dollar off them. sizemore messed around in some bad places with bad people and got what he deserved.
pool has had its bad apples, but its the ones that were real criminals that ruin it as the live ones soon depart.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
David was playing a set of nine ball at Verne Peterson's Billiard Palace in Bellflower in the late 60's/early 70's. David missed an easy ball that cost him the set. He raised the cue with both hands over his head and one of the rail birds said 'Don't do it, I will give you a hundred for it.' David turned his head and said 'Too late' and smashed it to pieces. I heard later it was not his cue.

Sounds just like him. He destroyed several sticks. The Beard put a story in his Encyclopedia about smashing one to bits and walking around in a threatening manner with a jagged end, and coming very close to being shot by Cokes. They said he would get enraged and bite the tip and ferrule off a stick now and then. I never saw him do that, but some have. Buddy Hall said he seen him do it. I saw him get mad at the table (or whatever) and start spitting on the table, a few times.. It wasn't a big gob of spit. He would just shoot out a big droplet about the size of one big raindrop out of his big lower lip and it would go up in the air above his head a little bit and then drop on the playing surface, and you had to fade that and the language and all. He didn't just do it once, but every few minutes, so you can imagine how hard me and a few others would be laughing at that....

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Keith,

I witnessed first hand that temper he had, I forget the circumstances leading up to the argument, but I do remember David throwing pool balls at high speed at the player he had differences with. He was really trying to hurt the guy bad and it seemed to me it was just over a few dollars... Explosive temper... Poor sportsmanship...:mad: No joy in Mudville, even if you won... We never played, I didn't want to lose an eye, or worse....
Le Cue downtown Houston... probably in '68 or '69

baby huey

Verified Member
I loaned David my cue to play a set at Bellflower one time and my buddy told me to get it back PDQ cause if David lost the set he'd smash it. Sure enough he started losing and began pounding the butt on the floor and I went up to him and took it back. Guess what, he wanted to fight me over my cue. So I just stayed firm and got it back and left. I learned later that he lost the set and was using the guys cue that he was playing ( a common practice back then) and broke it. David was a Jekyll and Hyde personality as he would loan money and stake players if he had cash but became a real terror if he was short of cash. Personally I kept clear of him afterwords and then I heard he went on the road with a local player and both died of a heroin OD under very strange circumstances.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Does anybody have some Weenie Beenie stories? Now that man was a giant and a great gentleman.
This guy is totally on the other end of the spectrum.

beatle

Verified Member
lets put our stories on the walking with the giants thread.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Maybe we could encourage Androd to tell the story about Jersey Red and Danny Jones sports bet, something about a 3 teamer that was missing a leg because they liked two teams and disagreed on the other... Funny story and a funnier ending as I recall...

Remember the story Rod? If not, you've got plenty more, share one with us, would you? :)

Jakie

Verified Member
From
Naples Fl
David Sizemore

David Sizemore

Those of you who were around him and decided to steer clear of him made a pretty wise decision. He would come through D.C. occasionally and I would see him at Beanie's and Guys and Dolls. Saw him beg for his life in Guys and Dolls.He started his shit with a guy in there and the guy put a gun to Sizemore's head for about 5 minutes.(black road player from NC - can't remember his name)He had a road partner for a while named Carolina Dave. In an argument over money Sizemore cut his throat.(literally) . Dave survived the slashing . I did see the scar. I had a conversation with the Beard about this as Dave was a friend of Freddy's. Sizemore played better than shortstop speed in 9 ball. Never saw him play anything else.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Those of you who were around him and decided to steer clear of him made a pretty wise decision. He would come through D.C. occasionally and I would see him at Beanie's and Guys and Dolls. Saw him beg for his life in Guys and Dolls.He started his shit with a guy in there and the guy put a gun to Sizemore's head for about 5 minutes.(black road player from NC - can't remember his name)He had a road partner for a while named Carolina Dave. In an argument over money Sizemore cut his throat.(literally) . Dave survived the slashing . I did see the scar. I had a conversation with the Beard about this as Dave was a friend of Freddy's. Sizemore played better than shortstop speed in 9 ball. Never saw him play anything else.

Yes, I think it was David 'The Spaceman' Gadsden whose throat Sizemore slashed. I don't know much about that incident, or if he deserved it or what. I didn't have much dealings with Sizemore, but I remember he really enjoyed cannabis . I do recall one day I was in a friends restaurant in a back area where the public didn't go and he was there and I don't know why he was there but he pulled out a big fat joint and asked me if I wanted to burn one. I said are you kidding me right now? I said I'd love nothing more than to hit that jewel three or four times. And so we did. That was in his last few days.. A couple of other folks mentioned to me how much he seemed to thrive on that substance.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

ha! guess dave had one of those nine lives things going on. my buddy, yancy (real name ivan york), from back home has been shot twice, stabbed three times, and survived two wrecks where people have cashed it in....still going strong! i guess some got the mojo.....and others do not.....

like reading these stories.....got anything else you're willing to let go?

keep em coming....

:)

sounds like this sisemore found himself a well deserved hot shot....lol....

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Maybe we could encourage Androd to tell the story about Jersey Red and Danny Jones sports bet, something about a 3 teamer that was missing a leg because they liked two teams and disagreed on the other... Funny story and a funnier ending as I recall...

Remember the story Rod? If not, you've got plenty more, share one with us, would you? :)

Greg Stevens, Duke Dowell and 3 or 4 more went to a movie in downtown Houston because action at the LeCue was scarce.
Duke said Sizemore talked Greg out of an black molly on the way to the theater. That's very hard to believe, but maybe they had been doing pool business or something.

Sizemore had a lot of cash, he'd beaten "Hanky Panky" Joe Bowman for a lot of cash, some of it mine. He'd also made some other scores.

On the way back from the movie Sizemore starts telling Greg " that pill was no good, I don't feel nothing, gimma another, and greg does. (Duke swears this is true)

Well after the dark cool place wears off Sizemore is dying for action, so he wants to bet he can beat the 9ball Ghost.

He get a few small bets and starts playing, the tables were brutally wet and he's losing $20 or 30 a game to the few Railbirds that will bet.

I go to Duke and say put in with me and let's bet, this is the nuts.
I tell David that duke will bet $50 and He says here, you handle the rail, and gives me a chunk of money.

I call the hotel across the street and get Frank Spiel to come over and Delaware Larry comes with him.
We all start betting, I'm in with everyone, I tell the early bettors that David doesn't want any more cheap action. They're afraid to bitch about it.

Pretty soon we're betting #200/300 hundred a game and he's given me a couple more chunks of money. Altogether we won around $3000 or more.

He tried to borrow money from Greg, Greg was a borrower not a lender or repayer and almost as crazy as Sizemore.

I thought there would be trouble, but nothing happened.