Onepocket.org only tourney

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
So according to my count on this thread, there are 15 possible attendee's. Sounds like it might actually come to fruition should the pool room be decided on...
Don't worry about playing at Bill's place in Southaven, I am sure I might be able to have libations in my truck...LOL

Sounds like a great time, I had an excellent time in Houston and wasn't even part of the tournament...If I could have just beat LSJohn...:frus

Did I win? You know how this OldTimers' disease is.... but if I won, I must have counted my money wrong when we finished, 'cause I thought sure I was a couple of thousand short. :eek:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I called Rowsey this AM and told him about this. He was very interested in having it here. He's been Crazy busy in the last week but I told him to read this thread when he gets a minute and respond. ~T

Thanks, Todd. I had no doubt that would be the case (even though Rowsey is an asshole.) :heh

Oh, wait, did you say you told him to read this thread?

Oh, shit.

Dammit, where's the GD "delete" button on this GD thing? :frus

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Memphis is great!

Why not get a total head count for some venue like Memphis or New Orleans, around a certain time, say Nov 2016, and if more than 30 people commit to that then the playoff idea might be required. If 20 or less commit, no need for a playoff system.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Questions for Todd or Bill

Questions for Todd or Bill

We'd be thrilled to have a part in this. Please keep us in mind!
Bill Rowsey. 901-277-3740

Is there a walk-through between the buildings, or is it go-around? If it works, could we dedicate part of the game room as a meeting/ bullshitting/buffet/hangout/libation center?

If it's at Southaven you'll both play, right? Do you think our tourney would work well at HighPockets if Tracy gives the go-ahead?

Do either of you have info or opinion about a good time to schedule it, either for your place or to avoid other events going on elsewhere?

I'd like late September or mid-November, but I don't recall now what else is going on around those times.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Late September is great weather around here. I don't know of anything going on then. If you want to see sights Graceland , Beale st. etc that's perfect temp. I would play/donate and I'm pretty sure Rowsey would like a warm up for the SS tourney.
~T

Last edited:

u12armresl

Verified Member
Just keep the entry fees high like someone mentioned $225 or so, and have it somewhere out of the way like Memphis or New Orleans.

As has been discussed, you will probably just be getting the same people from the senior tournament. Also as has been mentioned, you wont likely get other players because a straight up tournament for high money is out of the question in terms of being fair. If a guy like John or Bruce couldn't give me 10-7 in a tournament, then there is a problem. As Bruce has said, I just play awful. Love the game, and love to donate. However, there is donating, and then just walking into a place and throwing out what you have on the table and saying take it.

I'll drive to Chicago anytime to play, even St. Louis (anywhere but Teachers) but I can't justify going to the further away places to play 8 games of one pocket.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i cant commit to say i would definitely be there
based on date and my work schedule
but any format to meet/greet/play with my extended family would be worth it
:):)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jeff, have firm dates been set for the Super Senior in October?

As far as I know John, they have not. I will go by Bogies today and check with Rizzo. I assume the SS event will happen on or near last years dates, which I believe was somewhere in the middle of October.

I'm in for Memphis or New Orleans, whichever gets the nod, (vote)
September is fine with me, or November.... Whenever will work also...
$100.00 entry fee is OK with me, more or less won't bother me either.
Whatever and whenever, I'm a solid yes, can hardly wait, deal me in...:)

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Couple of things come to mind.
1. The representative from Lacys didn't even bother to respond? To me that means they don't care enough to suit me, but i'll play either joint. Dead money don't care where it spends.
2. Seems like Southaven is very interested and what could be better than to have have the first one at a members room?
3. If we had it the same weekend as the big one at high pockets in Sept, we would have the chance to sweat both tourneys and action at both venues. That would certainly open a lot more possibilities and maybe entice a few of the farther away players. It starts on Wed. night but i'm not sure when it usually ends. JMO John

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
If we had it the same weekend as the big one at high pockets in Sept, we would have the chance to sweat both tourneys and action at both venues. That would certainly open a lot more possibilities and maybe entice a few of the farther away players. It starts on Wed. night but i'm not sure when it usually ends. JMO John

I was thinking that would be a bad idea, but you have a point. The biggest problem with that (maybe) is that it's less than 60 days away.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Check it out: We have 11 definites for either location; 5 more for each of one location or the other; 8 more maybe or probably. Looks highly likely we can get a minimum of 16 at either location on those dates.

I'm thinking to wait a couple more days to see whether we hear from some others, then we'll vote.

Any suggestions?

BTW, hoping to influence the vote :D if we decide on Southaven (South Memphis) I will go in a couple of days early and help with set-up, arrange to have food catered or delivered, and sweep the parking lot. (Todd and Bill can clean the bathrooms ;) )

But Lacy's would be a great place to play, so if that's the choice, no complaints from me.

Hey, Frank... does your wife know about the Peabody Hotel Duck Walk? :lol

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Couple of things come to mind.
1. The representative from Lacys didn't even bother to respond? To me that means they don't care enough to suit me, but i'll play either joint. Dead money don't care where it spends.
2. Seems like Southaven is very interested and what could be better than to have have the first one at a members room?
3. If we had it the same weekend as the big one at high pockets in Sept, we would have the chance to sweat both tourneys and action at both venues. That would certainly open a lot more possibilities and maybe entice a few of the farther away players. It starts on Wed. night but i'm not sure when it usually ends. JMO John
John-- Yes, the owner of Lacy's Cue said that he'd love to have us. It was posted in post #145. http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showpost.php?p=183753&postcount=145

~Doc

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
One More

One More

Jeff, Count me in either place.
My wife likes Beale Street, I like Seafood in NO.
I really like High Pockets in Memphis - have never been to Bill Rousey's place.
Sounds like fun, would like for the room to be big enough for a little action.:D

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Check it out: We have 11 definites for either location; 5 more for each of one location or the other; 8 more maybe or probably. Looks highly likely we can get a minimum of 16 at either location on those dates.

I'm thinking to wait a couple more days to see whether we hear from some others, then we'll vote.

Any suggestions?

BTW, hoping to influence the vote :D if we decide on Southaven (South Memphis) I will go in a couple of days early and help with set-up, arrange to have food catered or delivered, and sweep the parking lot. (Todd and Bill can clean the bathrooms ;) )

But Lacy's would be a great place to play, so if that's the choice, no complaints from me.

I like the idea of having it at the same time as the other tournament in town, that would be great fun to slip over to the other place and watch some of the action.

I would be thrilled with either location, both sound great...

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California

Any suggestions?

John, I asked my wife about the ducks and yes she's been there and told me all about them. We have a picture of the fountain in a frame in our guest room at our home.
Her choice and mine for the get together is New Orleans since she's never been there and we've been planning to make a trip there. I hope that's what we decide, if so, then I'm in. (providing the weather cooperates).

I would think that we would need more time to plan this event and I think we should keep the entry low enough and keep this as a social event and not about the money it would be more about meeting the members on this site.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
John, I asked my wife about the ducks and yes she's been there and told me all about them. We have a picture of the fountain in a frame in our guest room at our home.
Her choice and mine for the get together is New Orleans since she's never been there and we've been planning to make a trip there. I hope that's what we decide, if so, then I'm in. (providing the weather cooperates).

I would think that we would need more time to plan this event and I think we should keep the entry low enough and keep this as a social event and not about the money it would be more about meeting the members on this site.

I've got you down as a 90%-er for N.O., so I'll leave you there. :)