ETA for members tournament at Lacy's

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
OK, I can understand. Let's say we get 40 or 48, then there are a bunch of byes. Screw dat:sorry

First 32 commitments and alternates after that.

We see how this all plays out this first event and can make changes for next year if needed.

I'm not the boss man so if there are objections we can vote on it.

I'm making out the check, to whom shall it be addressed??? I'm assuming a commitment is a paid entry fee? Will you post an address Jim, John? Somebody?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
OK, I can understand. Let's say we get 40 or 48, then there are a bunch of byes. Screw dat:sorry

We see how this all plays out this first event and can make changes for next year if needed.

Let me try one more time to sell this idea: This was conceived as a social event, not a serious competition. (Nothing wrong with changing that focus if it's what the participants want, but it's my preference.) I would not like for anyone to be prevented from playing either because he (or she!) couldn't get there Fri nite, or because of not knowing for sure enough ahead of time to commit, and not making a 32 limit.

Lots of byes would b nice to avoid, but they would give us more time to spectate and bullshit.

I'm coming if you guys decide that we have to wear leopard leotards and take a shot of Tequila between innings (but that would give Hendy a big advantage... plus, he may be the only one who has leopard leotards that still fit. :D )

If we do round 1 Friday night and have more than 32 players, we can manage a few people not getting there until Sat AM and let whoever draws them wait until Sat for their first match.

I'd rather have problems to sort out after we get there than to prevent people from coming. If Frank is OK with 15 tables for all the daylight hours on Sat, we can make it work with more players. Just my $.02

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Let me try one more time to sell this idea: This was conceived as a social event, not a serious competition. (Nothing wrong with changing that focus if it's what the participants want, but it's my preference.) I would not like for anyone to be prevented from playing either because he (or she!) couldn't get there Fri nite, or because of not knowing for sure enough ahead of time to commit, and not making a 32 limit.

Lots of byes would b nice to avoid, but they would give us more time to spectate and bullshit.

I'm coming if you guys decide that we have to wear leopard leotards and take a shot of Tequila between innings (but that would give Hendy a big advantage... plus, he may be the only one who has leopard leotards that still fit. :D )

If we do round 1 Friday night and have more than 32 players, we can manage a few people not getting there until Sat AM and let whoever draws them wait until Sat for their first match.

I'd rather have problems to sort out after we get there than to prevent people from coming. If Frank is OK with 15 tables for all the daylight hours on Sat, we can make it work with more players. Just my $.02

As far as I'm concerned, let this set the hair on the dog... John is the honcho and whatever he decides will work for me... :)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
ETA for members tournament at Lacy's

As far as I'm concerned, let this set the hair on the dog... John is the honcho and whatever he decides will work for me... :)

Makes sense. He who pays with the most sweet equity should get to decide.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
personally, i'd like to see a 32 man event on sat/sun. it's straight forward and the venue can support it.

anything else is not practical and would be a convoluted mess (at least if we are talking about having a tournament).

i understand wanting to be inclusive of everyone, but i'm not sure any onepocket.org member is being excluded.....

:)

(i also believe this is a moot point and would be amazed if all 32 names currently on the list make it there....i think we'll ultimately end up with a 32 man bracket with a few first round byes regardless....)

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I'm also making an executive decision to cut off the entries to 32.

that's because you and i both understand the factual reality of sitting down and looking at the mechanics of a bracket, estimating time slots, etc. and know that is the only thing that works. there is nothing to debate. it is what it is.

:frus:sorry

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Likewise, I vote for the 32 man, with alternates. Since you live in the area, if you don't mind taking the time, perhaps we could send the money to you. Then you could just bring the cash to the event, and Frank could put it into his safe.

~Doc

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
It seems that early on in this endeavor, it seemed a stretch just to get 16 confirmed participants and look where we are now, trying to accommodate 48 players in just two days. Kind of like trying to pack 100 lbs of mudbugs into a 2 lb sack. :rolleyes:

I'm all for being inclusive as well, and I agree that although we have competitive drives, this event was originally proposed for its social aspect. To accommodate this, I'm thinking of the following:

1. Race to 2 only on both sides.
2. As many as possible get there ahead of time (even as early as Thursday) for social, action, etc.
3. Welcome all who show up as late as first thing Saturday morning.
4. Focus is comaraderie, fun and action.
5. Entry fee primarily to make Frank's nut and modest reward to those who place...not for enrichment. Have a Calcutta if people want more $$ for reward.
6. Late comers to be bid as a blind pool in the Calcutta.

Most of all, have fun in a quality venue with all our friends.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
that's not a bad concession disco. whoever show up plays, race to two both sides, bracket TBD sat morning.

however.....somebody please tell me who these mysterious 48 mutherfukrs are who supposedly want to play in the onepocket.org tourney? :confused::rolleyes:

(because based upon that assumption is why we are talking about shit canning a true double elimination 32 player event....)

i've made my points. down for whatever.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
that's not a bad concession disco. whoever show up plays, race to two both sides, bracket TBD sat morning.

however.....somebody please tell me who these mysterious 48 mutherfukrs are who supposedly want to play in the onepocket.org tourney? :confused::rolleyes:

Can we please get a final complete list posted of the 95% confirmed probables who will attend? Or do we have that already with a total headcount?

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
There are 32 listed at the beginning of the "Do you plan to play?" thread.

Is the list final? If not what is deadline to commit? Why are we still talking 48? Although I've heard Joey A and Fireman KC are possibles and Bill Meachum has recently expressed interest

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Is the list final? If not what is deadline to commit? Why are we still talking 48? Although I've heard Joey A and Fireman KC are possibles and Bill Meachum has recently expressed interest

We're still talking about more than 32 because we have a few thousand members and 90 days to go. No one is committed beyond "very probable."

No deadline or method of committing has been established.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Fireman KC said he was playing. That was over a week ago

KC is the main connection with Frank the owner of Lacy's

Last edited:

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
We're still talking about more than 32 because we have a few thousand members and 90 days to go. No one is committed beyond "very probable."

No deadline or method of committing has been established.

1. I thought one criteria was "active" posters of which are considerably less than a few thousand. And

2. For expediency and practicality, since people are trying to plan, make hotel and flight reservations, it may be best to set a deadline relatively soon.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
1. I thought one criteria was "active" posters of which are considerably less than a few thousand.

The way I stated my suggestion was "Verifed members."
2. For expediency and practicality, since people are trying to plan, make hotel and flight reservations, it may be best to set a deadline relatively soon.

The only way I know to solidify commitments is by posting entry fees. No one has yet volunteered to collect them, and I'd prefer not to do it. 90 days is a looooong time ahead to start trying to solidify an entry list. If we have a volunteer to collect fees, and we decide to require advance payment, I would suggest a deadline of September 6 (the day after Labor Day.)

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
The way I stated my suggestion was "Verifed members."

Subsequent post (not by you John) suggested active posters within the past five years but not joined more recent than 1 June 2016.

That was probably just a recommendation and not necessarily agreed upon, but fairly reasonable in my book.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Subsequent post (not by you John) suggested active posters within the past five years but not joined more recent than 1 June 2016.

That was probably just a recommendation and not necessarily agreed upon, but fairly reasonable in my book.

"Active" meaning what? One post? One post a week? One post a year? 50 posts? etc,etc,etc. "Active" is too open-ended. "Verified" covers only people Steve knows or knows that one of us knows. :)

I think that's better. It's objective and not subject to interpretation.