Rules Help: Intentional Double hit...

Scottster

From
KCMO
This scenario was asked of me the other day. What happens if a player double hits the cueball and proceeds to make a ball hanging in my pocket, leaving the cue in the jaws of my pocket?

I am quite aware that the made object ball, and one of his balls spot. I told him it is exremely unethical to execute such an intentional foul. I told him it could result in some bodily harm in a gambling match and I was not sure what a tournament director would say during a tournament. His point was there are many intentional fouls taken in 1 hole and wanted clarification as to why or how certain intentional fouls are considered "ethical".

Opinions wanted, thanks

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
in my opinion, if the players move helped him in as far as winning, then i feel he has made the absolute correct move. good thinking one-pocket players think out their situation and do whatever is necessary to win the game. i feel one-pocket is stragegic war played out on a pool table and i dont think there is such a thing as unacceptable moves. if a player can figure out a way to improve his position, within the rules, he has done his job at the table!

Atlantasmitty

From
Atlanta, GA
A couple of months ago Cues2 had a large 1pocket tournament with player auctions (Or something like that). You had Stevie Moore, Paul Song, Big Tom, Cliff Joyner, and other various heavy hitters.

I can't remember who Cliff Joyner played. I think it started with Bill. It was an older white guy. Anyways during the match I watched Cliff Joyner intentionally foul 4 times in a row to get balls out of his pocket knowing he could hook his opponent up and run the 5balls he needed to win. And he did.

Also a person who will gamble on 1pocket generally understands how the game is played. So it's unlikely they'll get beat up by a player compared to playing someone in 8ball with bar rules and not calling a pocket.

senor

Verified Member
Scottster said:
This scenario was asked of me the other day. What happens if a player double hits the cueball and proceeds to make a ball hanging in my pocket, leaving the cue in the jaws of my pocket?

I am quite aware that the made object ball, and one of his balls spot. I told him it is exremely unethical to execute such an intentional foul. I told him it could result in some bodily harm in a gambling match and I was not sure what a tournament director would say during a tournament. His point was there are many intentional fouls taken in 1 hole and wanted clarification as to why or how certain intentional fouls are considered "ethical".

Opinions wanted, thanks

Loss of game. Or at the least, you can choose not to call a foul on him, ball is pocketed and it's your shot.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Scottster said:

Opinions wanted, thanks
Actually, if your opponent makes a ball in your pocket on a foul stroke -- other than a cue ball scratch or cue ball jumped off the table -- they do pay one, but you keep the ball they made. The ball made in your hole only comes up if they pocket scratch or the cue jumps the table. It is a common misconception that it spots up on any type of foul. This is even in the BCA rules, and it is also clear in our Official Rules.

However, the issue of the intentional double hit is something else. In after hours action -- as you all know -- rules have a tendency to be 'whatever the opponent will bear'. However, both Grady and Derby City for years have tried to reign in that kind of tricky stuff, and it is following their leadership that we have addressed illegal manuevers in our own Official Rules.

6.6 Intentional fouls are an accepted part of One Pocket tactics as long as they are played by use of a legal stroke, such as by lightly touching the cue ball with the cue tip; by rolling the cue ball to a new location without regard for legal contact with either an object ball or a cushion; by pocket scratching the cue ball; or by using a legal jump technique to force the cue ball off the table. However, if the acting official rules that a player has used an illegal technique to direct the cue ball or any object balls to a more desirable location, then the incoming player has the option of either playing the balls where they lie, or requesting the official to restore all such moved balls to their location prior to the illegal maneuver. The offending player is charged the standard one ball foul penalty, and in addition may be further penalized at the discretion of the acting official under the general rules of unsportsmanlike conduct.