Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Verified Member

Default Efren's Reign of Terror!

When Did Efren's One Pocket Reign of Terror Begin?

Was it in 1998 after his third place finish in the Legends of One Pocket? Some Time before the First Derby City Classic in 1999? Did it begin after 1999? The next year he entered the Derby City Classic?
I know he was top flight, one of the top 5 in the world in 1998, but when did he become the unbeatable Reyes that we all think of him as, and which got him into the One Pocket Hall of Fame?

From the Accu-Stats video collection that I own, you can see flaws in his game during his loss to Buddy Hall and then Shannon Daulton. He is also flawed in 1999 until his 3rd Game against Nick Varner, where he scrapes out a victory, then takes the match and goes on to win the whole shebang.

His only other glimpse of mortal man style mistakes is in 2004 against Billy Palmer. After that, in the Accu-Stats records, he loses 2 games on tape until he eventually gets defeated in 2008 by Alex Pagulayan 3-2. Alex and Cliff Joyner were the only players to take a game off him on Accu-Stats in the 4 years between Billy Palmer and Efren's loss in 2008. And in those years when he won the Derby City Classic One Pocket Divisions 2004 is the only year he was ever in the loserís bracket.

My deeper question is what elevated Efren from the level of top professional to unbeatable champion in 1998-1999 (or when ever you think his game exploded)? Was it knowledge? Execution? Both? Something else?
Fred? Billy? Grady? others who were around?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Verified Member

Efren's been the best One Pocket in the world since the early 90's (if not sooner). He's been beating everybody for money for a long, long time. I can't remember the last guy who played him even. Now he is vulnerable, but still no one is seeking him out to play even One Pocket. Watch how many players challenge him to play even in Galveston. How about zero!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert
Efren's been the best One Pocket in the world since the early 90's (if not sooner). He's been beating everybody for money for a long, long time. I can't remember the last guy who played him even. Now he is vulnerable, but still no one is seeking him out to play even One Pocket. Watch how many players challenge him to play even in Galveston. How about zero!
Jay, I watched a video over at Fast Lenny's OTR site (before the DVD) where Frost took him for $5K in a 1p race within the past couple of years. I think - am not sure -that they were playing even up. But Efren definitely was not on his game.

Skin
Old 08-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin
Jay, I watched a video over at Fast Lenny's OTR site (before the DVD) where Frost took him for $5K in a 1p race within the past couple of years. I think - am not sure -that they were playing even up. But Efren definitely was not on his game.

Skin
If they're gambling Efren still gives Scott weight, something like 9-7, 10-7. That may not be the case in a Challenge Match which is one short set, and money is guaranteed to both players.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Verified Member

Default Weight?

Quote:
If they're gambling Efren still gives Scott weight, something like 9-7, 10-7. That may not be the case in a Challenge Match which is one short set, and money is guaranteed to both players.
I might be the biggest Efren fan of all time,but, I'm not sure he can give Frost any weight. He's getting a little long in the tooth and ol' Father Time eventually busts' us all.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Jay, where are you hearing this? I'd be surprised if anyone in the world could give Frost weight in 1P today. Frost not only mowed down Efren in their challenge match, but shortly after that time he's issued an open challenge to anyone in the world to play a race to 21 for $10K. No one has taken him up on it.

If Frost/Efren should ever play again even, my money is on Frost. I'm not convinced that Efren could be placed in the top 5 one-pocket players today.

Efren is a well-deserved legend. And playing him will still create a "scare factor" in his opponents-- even the good ones. But Efren's domination and peak play in 1P has come to an end.

Doc