Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Bank Pool Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Suspended

Default Lee Van Corteza vs. Alex Pagulayan 2012 D.C.C.

LVC has 4 balls to AP's 0. It's LVC's shot. What would you do?

Name:  lvc1.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  lvc2.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  37.5 KB

Name:  lvc3.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  30.5 KB
Old 07-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis View Post
LVC has 4 balls to AP's 0. It's LVC's shot. What would you do?

Attachment 6362

Attachment 6363

Attachment 6364
He is looking in the wrong direction. What is most dangerous ball on the table? When you have the lead that is the stuff you look for. It happens to be the pink ball (4?). He needs to shoot at it or play safe and move it somewhere. In this case he has a natural shot that will serve many purposes. Cross corner twice. Its laying perfect anyway. This one you dont roll, you go all out on it because it is laying so good. That means hit it in the face and stop the cue ball with medium speed. 1. You will move it from its premium position. 2. You will put it down near the foot rail complicating the layout, and you may even block the pocket from the straight backs that are aiming there. 3. You have a big chance of making it and winning the game.

Beard

The only error would be if he tried to be a chiseler and roll forward when he shoots it, trying to play safer on the straight backs down table. Unlike a one rail bank, It is much easier to control the speed on a twice shot with a stop ball rather than rolling it.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Verified Member

Looks like the shooter is considering the 8 twice cross-corner. Those Filipinos like to shoot. The pink twice across is a good selection, but if it doesn't pocket, or block the pocket, then the opponent has a straight back on the 8 or 7 (brown). With a 4-0 lead, I might just cut the pink down towards the pocket. Then there's nothing for the shooter to swing at period.

Doc
Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Verified Member

Delete, I thought I was in the one pocket forum but im in banks. Ha, that was hilarious, i was coming up with one hole shots and wondering where the extra 6 balls disappeared to lol.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Verified Member

I would roll at the 8 ball and bank it softly under the 7 ball, from there he leaves nothing to shoot at and he positions the 8 ball in a difficult position for any player to deal with later. I believe in situations like this one where the shooter needs only one ball he has to think deeper in the future and try to figure out what the most threatening area of the table is and change it, if possible.. To me it's the position of the 7 and 8 balls. If it comes to being forced to pocket the 9 ball at a later time it will be very difficult to defend against the 7 and 8 balls.Why not position the 8 ball now in a difficult position for both players to have to deal with? It's free and simple.(just about)

Dr. Bill

Last edited by wincardona; 07-06-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
I would roll at the 8 ball and bank it softly under the 7 ball, from there he leaves nothing to shoot at and he positions the 8 ball in a difficult position for any player to deal with later. I believe in situations like this one where the shooter needs only one ball he has to think deeper in the future and try to figure out what the most threatening area of the table is and change it, if possible.. To me it's the position of the 7 and 8 balls. If it comes to being forced to pocket the 9 ball at a later time it will be very difficult to defend against the 7 and 8 balls.Why not position the 8 ball now in a difficult position for both players to have to deal with? It's free and simple.(just about)

Dr. Bill
That will really work. Run the cue ball too far forward and you leave a cross side. Hold it a little higher off of the short rail and you could very well leave a 2 in the side.

With the 9 ball blocking the pocket and only straight back and 1 cross corner open, that happens to be the LEAST threatening area of the table in this situation.

Needing one ball those two are pretty much where you want them to be. Whatever straight back he chooses will leave you a good shot for the game winner if he misses, and with 2 balls hanging in the pocket he cant get all the way out anyway.

Some of you are worrying about leaving a straight back. Ask yourself this question: Just exactly what kind of a bank would you rather be leaving, a cross corner or a cross side instead? If you have to leave something, straight backs are what you want to leave.

To not shoot at the twice across game winner when you are, a., off the rail with the cue ball, b.,only a couple of diamonds away, c., shooting at an perfectly natural angle, d., full hit with a stop ball, e., with a chance to hang it up or block the pocket, f., with the downside that you might leave a straight back ( that he certainly cant win with) if you dont block the pocket -- boggles my mind.

Anyone can feel free to debate that reasoning point by point.

Beard
Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Verified Member

Quote:

Dr. Bill
Needing one ball why on earth would I ever want to pocket the 9 ball?
The dangerous ball in the most dangerous position is the 4 ball.

Beard
Old 07-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna View Post
Needing one ball why on earth would I ever want to pocket the 9 ball?
The dangerous ball in the most dangerous position is the 4 ball.

Beard
What I was referring to is that if it ever came to that where you were forced to shoot the 9 ball, because it just might of been your best option at the time you would of had a tougher task because of the position of the 7 and 8 balls. Also by positioning the 8 ball under the 7 ball, now the option of shooting the 9 ball later on becomes much less daunting.

Dr. Bill
Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna View Post
That will really work. Run the cue ball too far forward and you leave a cross side. Hold it a little higher off of the short rail and you could very well leave a 2 in the side. (First, you're only going to roll the shot, the cue ball will end up near the side rail in a safe position, easy shot. Secondly i'm really not concerned about leaving n off angle two in the side)

With the 9 ball blocking the pocket and only straight back and 1 cross corner open, that happens to be the LEAST threatening area of the table in this situation. (That's my point, the 9 ball most likely will be pocketed by either you or your opponent shortly, then where's the most threatening area? That's why I said to look deeper into the future and choose a shot that would remedy that possible situation, now when you have a chance. What are you trading for that? A two rail bank in the corner and stopping your ball, give me a break)

Needing one ball those two are pretty much where you want them to be. Whatever straight back he chooses will leave you a good shot for the game winner if he misses, and with 2 balls hanging in the pocket he cant get all the way out anyway. ( (Right and wrong,yes you're right about him not being able to get out with two balls hanging. But if you shoot your two in the corner and miss you will be leaving a just about free bank as a return shot.))
Some of you are worrying about leaving a straight back. Ask yourself this question: Just exactly what kind of a bank would you rather be leaving, a cross corner or a cross side instead? If you have to leave something, straight backs are what you want to leave. (Shooting the 8 ball you don't leave either)

To not shoot at the twice across game winner when you are, a., off the rail with the cue ball, b.,only a couple of diamonds away, c., shooting at an perfectly natural angle, d., full hit with a stop ball, e., with a chance to hang it up or block the pocket, f., with the downside that you might leave a straight back ( that he certainly cant win with) if you dont block the pocket -- boggles my mind. (You're not a favorite to do either from the position you're shooting from. make it or block the pocket, plus trading that shot with the hopes of being productive as opposed to shooting a shot that's a guarantee of being productive seems like an easy choice for me)

Anyone can feel free to debate that reasoning point by point.

Beard
Freddie, by rolling the 8 ball softly under the 7 ball what you're doing is positioning both the 7 and 8 balls in a difficult position, and it's for free. Yes it's not costing you any thing to do it, other than that two in the corner that you feel is important. I'm thinking what's the hurry? Why shoot the 4 ball two in the corner and force the issue? Really no need for that at this time.

What we're talking about here is table management, we all have our own managing skills, that's one of the most crucial areas in playing winning "pool". And you know what? We all, including yourself and me, think we manage the best. Maybe we don't.

Dr. Bill

Last edited by wincardona; 07-06-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
What I was referring to is that if it ever came to that where you were forced to shoot the 9 ball, because it just might of been your best option at the time you would of had a tougher task because of the position of the 7 and 8 balls. Also by positioning the 8 ball under the 7 ball, now the option of shooting the 9 ball later on becomes much less daunting.

Dr. Bill
The need for that (pocketing the 9 rather than touching the 7 or 8 might come up about the time that Humpy straightens out.

Beard