B. Hall vs. M. Marquez - '98 World 1P finals

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I haven't posted a WWYD in quite awhile due to the fact that when I switched OS's to Ubuntu, there is no "Greenshot" program formatted for Linux. So I'll try a scout WWYD simply with an online photo editor. Therefore there won't any arrows or text.

Buddy Hall has just broken the balls very well, leaving Marquez this tough layout. Marquez's hole is on the viewer's left. What do you suppose Marco did? What would YOU do? ~Doc

Screenshot at 2019-04-28 12-31-45.jpg

Screenshot at 2019-04-28 12-29-36.png

beatle

Verified Member
it looks like you have the angle to drive the 8 into the ten off the short rail first.
then draw the cue to the side rail and then land on the bottom short rail.

that might make for an up table game and even things out a little.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
B. Hall vs. M. Marquez - '98 World 1P finals

I might use the 5 to bank that stripe in my hole. Follow forward a bit and run some heh.

Kybanks

Verified Member
I like crossing the stripe by the side and doubling him up. Leaving the cb by the first diamond on the end rail.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
There is an interesting shot here, that may not be so obvious, but it is right there.
If you split the hit the 5 & 4 the cue ball continues traveling right on through them. Thus the goal is to reposition the cb in behind the 14 ball by the opponent pocket. And you should be able to get a ball by your hole also. Whitey

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
At the end of this match the only people there were Grady, Buddy, Marco and me and 2 buddies in the seats.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Is someone eating an apple ?

There is an interesting shot here, that may not be so obvious, but it is right there.
If you split the hit the 5 & 4 the cue ball continues traveling right on through them. Thus the goal is to reposition the cb in behind the 14 ball by the opponent pocket. And you should be able to get a ball by your hole also. Whitey

whitey you get an apple......:D

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I would look at shooting a stop shot on the 7 to freeze to the 5... the 7 would carom off the stripe and possibly pocket the 8. If the 8 goes I am straight in on the 2 ball. If it doesnt go my opponent needs to figure out how to get out of the trap.

baby huey

Verified Member
Bank the 12 ball cross to your side and leave the cueball on the end rail. Make him shoot the combo or play safe. IMO this is not a time to pound the ball out of his hole.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Okay, folks. Y'all had some pretty good suggestions, despite the bad bind that Marco was in. He did shoot at the 5-12 combo take-out. Here was the way it ended up:

Screenshot at 2019-04-28 12-32-53.jpg

This was a very nice reversal of the break. But I got to wondering how they could exactly wind up like that, and Billy I. & Ronnie Allen were wondering the same thing. Turns out he hit it inaccurately, causing the 5 to fan the 9, then hit the top of the 12. Here is a freeze frame of the shot in progress, then a line drawing of the key balls:

Screenshot at 2019-04-28 12-36-31.jpg
Hall-Marquez.jpg

So Marco got a little lucky there, which we all do once in awhile on these type of shots.

But for my money, the best shot is the one advocated by KYBanks and Jerry M. Bank the stripe over to your side and roll the CB up to the head rail, leaving a straight in combo for the opponent.

~Doc

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Was this the year that Marco won it?

pj
chgo

Buddy won the one I am talking about.
It was 1998 in Baton Rouge at Gradys Legends of One Pocket.
I guess it is possible they played each other more than once in the finals but I find it highly unlikely.
Marco played great in this tournament and I always felt he should have won.
The format was supposed to be race to 4 but they both agreed to three because it was so late, and nobody was there.
Buddy got 3 very fortuitous double kisses on cross banks low on the table,
in the last game.
If any of those leave a shot , Marco would have probably been champ.