Visulizing The Draw Shot!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Once in a while (actually a little to often) in drawing the cb, I have a problem with pulling up on the butt and thus the cue tip dips creating a miscue. I know when this happens, I am not releasing my wrist to maintain a level stroke.

But, the other day for some reason I visualized the cue going through the ob at the contact point. I visualize the length of stroke and force required for that particular draw shot. And wow, it worked really well! I am getting some real good results, and my stroke feels very clean. It's like I am stroking the ob.

I've tried it out for only a couple of days, and want to give it a week. Yesterday a fellow pool player came by and he is having the same problem, and I told him about it, and he tried this method, and he really liked it. He said; "how did you know just what I needed". I said; "because you use a pick on your tip". I was putting a new tip on for him. Player's blame the tip instead of their stroke when they miscue!

I enjoy sharing this, and hope it helps others! But, I would like members to try it and see how it works for them. Happy Father's Day, Whitey

Last edited:

pvclou

Verified Member
I'd say Bill Smith could chime in here with some helpful confirmation of your newfound technique here...but watch out, he's a bit caustic!

Once in a while (actually a little to often) in drawing the cb, I have a problem with pulling up on the butt and thus the cue tip dips creating a miscue. I know when this happens, I am not releasing my wrist to maintain a level stroke.

But, the other day for some reason I visualized the cue going through the ob at the contact point. I visulize the length of stroke and force required for that particular draw shot. And wow, it worked really well! I am getting some real good results, and my stroke feels very clean. It's like I am stroking the ob.

I've tried it out for only a couple of days, and want to give it a week. Yesterday a fellow pool player came by and he is having the same problem, and I told him about it, and he tried this method, and he really liked it. He said; "how did you know just what I needed". I said; "because you use a pick on your tip". I was putting a new tip on for him. Player's blame the tip instead of their stroke!

I enjoy sharing this, and hope it helps others! But, I would like members to try it and see how it works for them. Happy Father's Day, Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I'd say Bill Smith could chime in here with some helpful confirmation of your newfound technique here...but watch out, he's a bit caustic!

Thanks, I also posted it up on Member's Forum, whereas that is where Bill posts.
I am also finding this is helpful in just plain pocketing the ball, for it visualizes shooting through the ob, and though the contact point. Good luck trying it, who knows it may work! Still in test period, no verdict yet! Thanks again, Whitey

pvclou

Verified Member
It feels good to find a new feel at the table that works!

Thanks, I also posted it up on Member's Forum, whereas that is where Bill posts.
I am also finding this is helpful in just plain pocketing the ball, for it visualizes shooting through the ob, and though the contact point. Good luck trying it, who knows it may work! Still in test period, no verdict yet! Thanks again, Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I shot 5 racks of rotation this morning using this draw shot method on every shot, and I had 4 miscues. I do not believe this method is ground breaking for I have heard of shooting through the object ball. Although I believe this is different for I am visualizing the cue going through the ob, which takes the cb out of the equation.
Today, I realized that I am getting much more draw than before, and realizing I am stroking right though the ob and seeing the contact point well. I am a guy that sees the contact point only and shoots, so now this is different for me.

Rempe taught his students that on draw shots to envision the cue reaching out to the ob. My method goes beyond that, and seems to be working better for me.

I am going to do 5 days of these regular draw shots, then from there I am going to do draws that really require some real force, for that will be the true test of how pure my stroke is. 4 miscues is to much, and even one miscue is a sign of a stroke that is not pure.

I had a friend and a great player that I knew was having problems doing draw shots and miscuing. Well, he called me up and asked how to draw and what is it that he is doing wrong? I had to draw back on my playing days many decades ago, and replied; "the secret to doing draw shots is to 'remain totally relaxed' in mind, body and stroke". It worked for him, and now he is back doing great draw shots once again! Whitey

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
Years ago I watched video of Earl Strickland in his prime. He often took practice strokes beside the cueball, like golfers set up next to their tee shot.
He was visualizing his follow thru as he checked his set up-bridge hand and grip hand placements.

I hate airstroking but many use this as invisioning the shot.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks guys for commenting. I hope to hear back from members that are trying this method. It sure is working for me. I have progress from visualizing stroking through the contact point to visualizing of stroking to a 'spot' beyond the ob. This spot is to visualize the amount of follow through I need to accomplish the draw required to get onto the next ball. I believe soon this will all become automatic.

The reason I am posting this is because I have tried all kinds of methods to get that hitch out of my stroke that causes a miscue, and this is by far the best method and is quickly creating the best results, and I wanted to share this!
Good Luck, and thanks again unoperro & pvclou! Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Louie's Wrist Snap Power Draw!

Louie's Wrist Snap Power Draw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G13l_W_UI4
the video gets clearer as it goes along.

Go to 13:30 of video and Louie instructs on the wrist snap power draw. This is a great video and instructional. I now have been researching this technique and have not found anyone else's video on draw shots that depicts the wrist snap. So I believe this is very special.

I am now confident in stating that if one was to combine Louie's wrist snap with my method of visualization then I believe you can really up your game. And when your draw stroke develops to the point of where the cb gets a noticeable extra spin when coming off the ob, then you are there!

I would advise using the wrist snap technique only when needing the power draw, or at least hold off until you get it mastered. It will take a lot of practice, but nice to have when needed!

When Louie shoots the straight in 8 ball to get position on a ball on the far end rail, notice the increase in cue speed towards the end of the stroke. This cue speed is the wrist snap. You can only get so much cue speed out of your arm alone, so that is where the wrist snap comes in. His positioning shot when the cb is nearly straight upon the ob just off the end rail, is tremendous! Thanks Louie, well done! Whitey

Last edited: