Ask Artie Holiday Special

chicagomike

Verified Member
FYI the last page of Arie's Interview, Artie says he will give a Columbus Day special to those interested in asking him any question about one pocket. He says he will answer to the best of his ability and everyone gets a 2 question limit.

I thought if Artie doesn't mind we can post the questions here so that all of this great information is in one place.

I asked a question regarding the process of selecting the best shot when it is your turn to shoot and he gave a great answer. I would forward it here, but I don't know how to do that.

Let the questions and answers begin!!!!!!!

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
chicagomike said:
FYI the last page of Arie's Interview, Artie says he will give a Columbus Day special to those interested in asking him any question about one pocket. He says he will answer to the best of his ability and everyone gets a 2 question limit.

I thought if Artie doesn't mind we can post the questions here so that all of this great information is in one place.

I asked a question regarding the process of selecting the best shot when it is your turn to shoot and he gave a great answer. I would forward it here, but I don't know how to do that.

Let the questions and answers begin!!!!!!!
VERY GOOD NOW WE ARE GOING IN THE WRIGHT DIRECTION. LEARNING. AND HELPING PEOPLES GAMEs. AND LEARNING WHAT ONE POCKET IS. NOT JUST 8 AND OUT. AND THE DONT EVEN NO WHY THE RAN 8 AND OUT OR how. And if you ask them ahead of time how many balls the are going to run in what order and how. You will be surprised how the run the balls and change their order. BEcause THE HAVE NOT FIGUERD IT OUT. AND EVEN IF THE FIGURE IT OUT IT WILL NOT BE DONE THE WAY THE SAY IT. Now you are learning and starting to see and understand what I am explaining. YOu have to no what you are doing and how you are going to do it. And you have to learn to think correctly. Now we are gitting some were. If yopu can do what you figured then you are on yopur way to becoming a better player. And with the talent you will be a champion. ANd you will start seeing that even people responding and answering will be in a smarter and more sensebale answers. And their answers will be a lot better. Because the learnd to think not just to shoot. Through your stuff out their. Dont be shy its all part of learning. This is not a contest were their is a winner and a looser. BUt its about everyone helping and chiping in to make the game a smarter and more exciting and interesting game. Give your opinion what you say will help another person. And that is part of learning.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
VERY GOOD NOW WE ARE GOING IN THE WRIGHT DIRECTION. LEARNING. AND HELPING PEOPLES GAMEs. AND LEARNING WHAT ONE POCKET IS. NOT JUST 8 AND OUT. AND THE DONT EVEN NO WHY THE RAN 8 AND OUT OR how. And if you ask them ahead of time how many balls the are going to run in what order and how. You will be surprised how the run the balls and change their order. BEcause THE HAVE NOT FIGUERD IT OUT. AND EVEN IF THE FIGURE IT OUT IT WILL NOT BE DONE THE WAY THE SAY IT. Now you are learning and starting to see and understand what I am explaining. YOu have to no what you are doing and how you are going to do it. And you have to learn to think correctly. Now we are gitting some were. If yopu can do what you figured then you are on yopur way to becoming a better player. And with the talent you will be a champion. ANd you will start seeing that even people responding and answering will be in a smarter and more sensebale answers. And their answers will be a lot better. Because the learnd to think not just to shoot. Through your stuff out their. Dont be shy its all part of learning. This is not a contest were their is a winner and a looser. BUt its about everyone helping and chiping in to make the game a smarter and more exciting and interesting game. Give your opinion what you say will help another person. And that is part of learning.
I hope when I wake up their are hundreds of answers and Quistions. Ask your quistions and give your answers.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I hope when I wake up their are hundreds of answers and Quistions. Ask your quistions and give your answers.

Artie,
Question #1
Why is it I don't get too excited, or feel too high when I win, but I really hate it, and beat myself up when I lose ?
Question #2
Why do I always feel a little guilty when I'm "stealing". Does that mean I was not cut out to be a hustler in the first place ?
I know I've always had too much gamble and never been a great manager. But I always feel better when I know I've won a tough match against a good player. I know, you know what I'm talking about.

Dick

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have noticed that executing poorly often makes what I thought was a good idea, end up looking really bad. Let's say I am trying to lodge the cue ball behind another ball to trap my opponent, but I slightly miss-hit and end up exposing the cue ball just enough to negate the value of my safety. I have also observed my opponent shooting what I sure thought was the wrong shot, yet they execute it and it ends up costing me. These two situations illustrate results that make it difficult for me to learn the "right shot".

Can you give us any advice on how to better observe our own game, so as to learn to avoid mistakes? What should we be looking for?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
chicagomike if you know how to copy and paste you can copy the reply than come to the forum and post reply when it opens you can paste the reply there and then post it. my best explanation on how to copy and post is yoou bneed to drag the cursor across what you want to highlight it while the left button on the mouse held down. then you right click and you will see alist of choices one of which is copy cilck on that. when you get to the reply box right click and you will see a list one choice will be paste click on that and you shoulod see the reply in the box. if this doesnt work maybe someone else can give you a better explanation.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
artie my first question to you was going to be similar to chicagomike. after the break as you survey the balls what is going on in your mind as you make your gameplan? second as the game enters the middle to end game how do you decide where to position the balls specifically. i still get lost sometimes at this stage and will try to push balls to "my side" and away from "his side" trying to block a countermove but i wish i had better targets than my side and his side. better yet i wish i had a better CONCEPT of what to do.if my first question will be answered by your answer to chicagomike i guess the real question I want is to know WHAT IS CORRECT AND NO MISTAKE ONE POCKET? this should probably be my question.

Skin

Verified Member
Here's my first question, Artie. I am saving the second one for later.

How do you figure the spot in a partner's game of one-pocket?

For example, if 3 of the players match up 8-8 and the fourth gets 8-6 from all of them in singles play, how do the teams match up in partners? Is it 8-6 for the team with the weaker player? Is there a formula for figuring it out or is it pretty much guesswork and what everybody will go along with?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Skin

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
NH Steve said:
I have noticed that executing poorly often makes what I thought was a good idea, end up looking really bad. Let's say I am trying to lodge the cue ball behind another ball to trap my opponent, but I slightly miss-hit and end up exposing the cue ball just enough to negate the value of my safety. I have also observed my opponent shooting what I sure thought was the wrong shot, yet they execute it and it ends up costing me. These two situations illustrate results that make it difficult for me to learn the "right shot".
In my case, I've come to realize that I tend to give myself too much credit in the ability to execute certain shots. Especially shots where I'm trying to accomplish two or three things during the same shot. For example, I might be trying a risky long bank, while also trying to hide the CB behind another ball. Oftentimes I'll miss the bank and not get safe besides!!

The key for me is to stay with the shots that I have the highest percentage of executing best. I think a lot of us average players take a whirl at some of the delicatessen shots we see the top players accomplish-- and we mess up!!

Doc

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Artie, thanks for making yourself available to the rest of us. Just one question this time, and this is also for Grady, so maybe I'll get two answers. How long is too long to pick out a shot when you get a turn at the table? On DVDs I see Jimmy Fusco wearing out his shoes circling the table, getting up off shots and changing his selection several times, etc. On the other hand, Grady plays much quicker, and sometimes is ready to go as soon as the balls stop rolling. Are the slow players overdoing it, and do the quick players risk passing up the best shot?

I want to comment on Dick's first question, too. I can relate to a letdown when you win, and a disgust for my efforts when I lose. In addition, looking at the money involved, I think losing is much more likely to change your standard of living than winning. Won money seems to dry up in your pocket, and it's hard to remember what benefit you received from it. When you lose, it can alter your immediate plans, and sometimes drive you to return to your source to pump up (either the bank or your stash at the house). If you have no source, you may wind up living in a cardboard box under the interstate!

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Here are 2 questions.

1.Who taught you the game and is there someone in particular you would like to teach?

2. Do you play the same game everytime or play your opponent?

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Fast Lenny said:
Here are 2 questions.

1.Who taught you the game and is there someone in particular you would like to teach?

2. Do you play the same game everytime or play your opponent?
I learned a lot by watching the basick moves. Players like Bugs Lefty Mexican Johnny Phoney Canadian Pete and all the good players I watched and learned. And you can watch week players and learn also what not to do. But the correct way to play onepocket mistake free and how to think I tought myself. If I could teach some one the correct way of one pocket it would be a younger player. THat is not set in his way. LIke Johnny Archer or Cory duel or a good shooter and position player. And the greatest Students are the ones that listen instead otf talking and learning and absorbing what you are teaching them. And the will be the best players in the world. Even if the dont no what the are doing in the beginning of learning. And the will catch on and learn. And I can prove this with a player with the ability that does not no what to do. BUt everyone can learn the correct way to play mistake free.Even if you dont have the ability to be a world champion. I do not play the same game every time. and I do not play my opponent. I PLAY THE CORRECT GAME AND THE CORRECT SHOTS THAT WILL PUT ME IN A GOOD POSITION TOP WIN THE GAME. And I will SAy it one more time. Memorize it or wright it down and carry it with you. THe game is between you and the balls and the layout and the position of the balls. THe game is about YOU and what you do at the table. NOT YOUR OPPONENT. ITs YOU AND WHAT YOU DO TO WIN AND CONTROL THE GAME. Your opponent is only their to carry out your plan. ITs all about you and what you do. NOT YOUR OPPONENT. It does not mater who yopu play. Wheather the are a champion or a week player. It does not matter if you play the GAME correctly mistake free you will beat everyone. And it does not matter how good the play.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Skin said:
Here's my first question, Artie. I am saving the second one for later.

How do you figure the spot in a partner's game of one-pocket?

For example, if 3 of the players match up 8-8 and the fourth gets 8-6 from all of them in singles play, how do the teams match up in partners? Is it 8-6 for the team with the weaker player? Is there a formula for figuring it out or is it pretty much guesswork and what everybody will go along with?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Skin

Skin, While were waiting for Arties reply go on the Beard's blog and find my story on "Titanic", Its right after his Gar story (I don't know how to create a link) A good part of my tale involves "partner play". I know, from my experience, it can be a real crapshoot. But it is fun. ;)

Dick

PS Artie is not into "fun". :p It'll be interesting to get his take on it.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
vapros said:
Artie, thanks for making yourself available to the rest of us. Just one question this time, and this is also for Grady, so maybe I'll get two answers. How long is too long to pick out a shot when you get a turn at the table? On DVDs I see Jimmy Fusco wearing out his shoes circling the table, getting up off shots and changing his selection several times, etc. On the other hand, Grady plays much quicker, and sometimes is ready to go as soon as the balls stop rolling. Are the slow players overdoing it, and do the quick players risk passing up the best shot?

I want to comment on Dick's first question, too. I can relate to a letdown when you win, and a disgust for my efforts when I lose. In addition, looking at the money involved, I think losing is much more likely to change your standard of living than winning. Won money seems to dry up in your pocket, and it's hard to remember what benefit you received from it. When you lose, it can alter your immediate plans, and sometimes drive you to return to your source to pump up (either the bank or your stash at the house). If you have no source, you may wind up living in a cardboard box under the interstate!
PART 1 First I would like to say whatever I wright you can rewight or correct any spelling you can do whatever you want to do with it. Copy it and carry it with you when you go to practice. So you can read it or look up something you might have forgotten. BUt you can do what you like with it.It is good to get a lot of answers then you can make a choice and pick the answer you like and what will help your game, I hope their are hundreds of answers and quistions. Only be everyone ontributing will the game get strongerand we will learn more about the game. You need to take as long as you like to learn what you are doing when you are practicing with yourself thats all about you and what you want to learn its your time and its about learning not how long or how fast we shoot its about you leraning the lession. Nothing else. And practice and shoot all three exampales and figure out witch is the best and the correct shot. And see witch shot you like the best and why. And what shot is the easiest to execute. In tournaments or gambling you have to make your decisions quicker. Because the have rules and you cannot take all day. And if you take a long time people will get board and loose interest. Because the dont no what you are doing or thinking. And think you are stalling. And you have to make quicker decisions in a tournament. You no you are thinking. But the dont because the never learned to think thats why its not exciting and boring to them. The people watching want to see aggressive shots and 8 and out. Not butting your opponent in a postition were he cant breath. Thats not what the want to see. But thats what you have to do to win. You have to learn to make your choice quicker. THat can only happen through your learning and knowledge. And if a person gets wright up to the table and shootsd.He does no have it figured out. Because that is imposable. And he is shooting by instincte and judgement and what he has memorized from playing. Picking the correct shot and shooting wright away is ok if you no what you are doing is correct. Iwill wright this in 4 parts so it doesnt all disapear.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
PART 1 First I would like to say whatever I wright you can rewight or correct any spelling you can do whatever you want to do with it. Copy it and carry it with you when you go to practice. So you can read it or look up something you might have forgotten. BUt you can do what you like with it.It is good to get a lot of answers then you can make a choice and pick the answer you like and what will help your game, I hope their are hundreds of answers and quistions. Only be everyone ontributing will the game get strongerand we will learn more about the game. You need to take as long as you like to learn what you are doing when you are practicing with yourself thats all about you and what you want to learn its your time and its about learning not how long or how fast we shoot its about you leraning the lession. Nothing else. And practice and shoot all three exampales and figure out witch is the best and the correct shot. And see witch shot you like the best and why. And what shot is the easiest to execute. In tournaments or gambling you have to make your decisions quicker. Because the have rules and you cannot take all day. And if you take a long time people will get board and loose interest. Because the dont no what you are doing or thinking. And think you are stalling. And you have to make quicker decisions in a tournament. You no you are thinking. But the dont because the never learned to think thats why its not exciting and boring to them. The people watching want to see aggressive shots and 8 and out. Not butting your opponent in a postition were he cant breath. Thats not what the want to see. But thats what you have to do to win. You have to learn to make your choice quicker. THat can only happen through your learning and knowledge. And if a person gets wright up to the table and shootsd.He does no have it figured out. Because that is imposable. And he is shooting by instincte and judgement and what he has memorized from playing. Picking the correct shot and shooting wright away is ok if you no what you are doing is correct. Iwill wright this in 4 parts so it doesnt all disapear.
PART 2 When people keep changing from one shot to another. It tells me the donnt no the correct shot and the are unsure of what the are doing. Theit is dought and uncertainte in their choice. And dont no what the correct shot is. And the are guessing instead of knowing what the correct shoot is and why. After I answer the quistion it will be easier for other people to see the answer. But I can tell by their answer if the answer is correct and why. I am not saying this to discourage you. But to get you to think and open up your mind. Grady playes a judgment and memory one pocket game. And he playes and shoots by insticte what shot and what he is trying to do. He playes memory one pocket what he has tought himself and memorized. But if you ask him to explain it all ahead of time he will have a hard time explaining it ahead of time. And let him tell you how he is going to run all balls ahead of time. In what order and what balls. And I will bet and lay a price he will not run the whole 8 balls the way he said he will. And he will not do what he said he will do. Because I no how hard it is to do that. And Efrin and Scott Frost and none of the Champions can do that.I am not saying he cant run 8 and out on 8 loose balls that he can run in order the way he called them. Because the are all open and simple to run because the are ope. But evenwith a simple pattern. you will see I am correct and you will see he will hanve to take time to figure ot out. And the will not have figured out ahead of time what the are going to do. Because the dont no and its all judgment and guessing what the are doing. And the comontaters are gussing too. Are you starting to see the picture that you need to no what you are doing and why.Why does it take him all that time to explain who he is going to run the balls. And when he plays he just shoots and doesnt even think about it.The are shooting from one shoot to the next by instict and judgment and the realy havant figured it out ahead of time. Then when the have a problem then the stop and figure it out. WHY DIDNT THE DO THAT AHEAD OF TIME?

Skin

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
Skin, While were waiting for Arties reply go on the Beard's blog and find my story on "Titanic", Its right after his Gar story (I don't know how to create a link) A good part of my tale involves "partner play". I know, from my experience, it can be a real crapshoot. But it is fun. ;)

Dick

PS Artie is not into "fun". :p It'll be interesting to get his take on it.

Here's the link.

http://warstoriesnonebyolivernorth.blogspot.com/

Dick, to post a link all you have to do is

1. right click (use the right side of the mouse to click) on the address box at the top of the screen

2. select "Copy" from the menu box that appears

3. right click to put the cursor where you want to paste and then select "Paste" from the menu box that appears

You can also do it the regular way by highlighting the address, copy, and then paste where you want it.

_____

It sounds like partners is about what a figured - the only predictable thing is that you will make friends or enemies real fast by playing it. If you have a weaker player on your team, it's probably best to find a way to "hide" him.

Skin

And, oh, I think I can answer your questions to Artie - it's because you were (and do) play for more than the money even if you don't realize it. Just like Alexander the Great made battle for more than luxury and wealth.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
PART 2 When people keep changing from one shot to another. It tells me the donnt no the correct shot and the are unsure of what the are doing. Theit is dought and uncertainte in their choice. And dont no what the correct shot is. And the are guessing instead of knowing what the correct shoot is and why. After I answer the quistion it will be easier for other people to see the answer. But I can tell by their answer if the answer is correct and why. I am not saying this to discourage you. But to get you to think and open up your mind. Grady playes a judgment and memory one pocket game. And he playes and shoots by insticte what shot and what he is trying to do. He playes memory one pocket what he has tought himself and memorized. But if you ask him to explain it all ahead of time he will have a hard time explaining it ahead of time. And let him tell you how he is going to run all balls ahead of time. In what order and what balls. And I will bet and lay a price he will not run the whole 8 balls the way he said he will. And he will not do what he said he will do. Because I no how hard it is to do that. And Efrin and Scott Frost and none of the Champions can do that.I am not saying he cant run 8 and out on 8 loose balls that he can run in order the way he called them. Because the are all open and simple to run because the are ope. But evenwith a simple pattern. you will see I am correct and you will see he will hanve to take time to figure ot out. And the will not have figured out ahead of time what the are going to do. Because the dont no and its all judgment and guessing what the are doing. And the comontaters are gussing too. Are you starting to see the picture that you need to no what you are doing and why.Why does it take him all that time to explain who he is going to run the balls. And when he plays he just shoots and doesnt even think about it.The are shooting from one shoot to the next by instict and judgment and the realy havant figured it out ahead of time. Then when the have a problem then the stop and figure it out. WHY DIDNT THE DO THAT AHEAD OF TIME?
PART 3 The slow players are slow because the are in dought. Because the are not sure of what the are doing or why. Its not about shooting FAST or SLOW but shooting the correct shot and why. And if you dont think that way you have to practice and learn. Thats why you can learn by watching and practicing and asking quistions. Figure out the best and correct shot and the more you do it the easier it will be to learn. ITs not about how fast or slow you play. Its about what your plane is and why you are shooting the shot you are shooting. Have a plan and have it figured out what you are going to do. Not just one shot but the whole thery behind the shoot. Dont just say thats safe. Because everyone does that. Thats not good enough and that can be a big mistake. Have a plan and figure it out before you shoot. And I keep putting in their you have to no why you did what you did. I made it clear a few weeks ago. When you are winning you have to train yourself to give all you have to finish off your opponent dont let himbreath. Sufficate him. Go for the kill. No more chances and no more mistakes. Finish him off you want to finish the session off with giving it all you got. And if you gave 100% and lost its ok you gave it all you had. And Memorize this. Whether you win or loose take it the same way. Dont be a real happy winner and then when you lose you will be a very sore looser. You do your best weather you win or lose. Dont have big mood swings. Be nutral. And show some class people like players better that have control instead of being a sour looser. And most of it is all a show anyway. Be a control winner or looser. Be huble and gracious. Being very happy and beong very sad is not the way you want to go. And its the same thing betting sports horses or other games. You need to control yourself. Just like you are going to conrtol the game of one pocket. ITs all about you. You can shoe clas or be a little baby or spoiled little brat. And you will see it very clear with people. If you gave 100% and lost you mave nothing to feel bad about. Its all we can humanly do. BUt if you didnt give 100% then you no you need to learn how to give 100% in every game or match. And you will no if you gave 100%. Winning is a hard load on your shoulder but loosing is easy. And you have to learn how to be a winner. Her is a Quistion for everyone. WHO THOUGHT YOU TO BE A WINNER. Nobody. So you see these are all things we have to learn. Everyone wants to be a winner. But not to meny people want to do the work that comes with being a winner.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Originally Posted by chicagomike
Ok Artie, here's my 1st question of the holiday. Besides considering the score, what should my thinking process be when deciding what shot to shoot? What are the key factors that go into making the best choice when given several shot selections?

Thanks Artie,
Have a safe and happy holiday.

-Chicagomike

You always play the score.You figure out the shot that will help you the most. And do the most damage to your oponent. Always pick the shot that will lock up your opponent were he will make a mistake. Pick the shot that is the easiest to execute and put your opponent in a position he cant get out of the trap. Their are lots of choices. You have to learn what is the best choice. And the only way you can figure out what the correct shot is. BY were the balls are and the cueball is and were you want the cue ball to be so your opponent cant put you in a trap. Start thinking instead of just looking to run 8 and out. Some players will shoot at anything and the are the best players to play because the will make the most mistakes. Keep figuring out the best choice and with experence and practice you will get the hang of it. Every shot is a thinking process and you have to figure out what is the best shot and why. The best shot is the shot that will cause your opponent the biggest problem. And puting the cueball were your opponent will make a mistake. And cant give you a problem were you cant get out of the trap.

chicagomike

Verified Member
lll said:
chicagomike if you know how to copy and paste you can copy the reply than come to the forum and post reply when it opens you can paste the reply there and then post it. my best explanation on how to copy and post is yoou bneed to drag the cursor across what you want to highlight it while the left button on the mouse held down. then you right click and you will see alist of choices one of which is copy cilck on that. when you get to the reply box right click and you will see a list one choice will be paste click on that and you shoulod see the reply in the box. if this doesnt work maybe someone else can give you a better explanation.

Thanks lll,
I got it moved to this thread.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Ok Artie here is my second question of the day:

How do I get the most benefit out of my practice time when practicing by myself with one pocket in mind.

Thanks,
Chicagomike