One pocket pool
One Pocket.org home About onepocket.org Learning the game Hall of fame marketplace a one pocket pool forum

Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum

Old 05-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Verified Member

Default Cochran's and Palace Billiards

For those curious about the later history of Cochran's, I talked today to Limo Bob, one of the ex-owners of Cochran's when it became Hollywood Billiards. He said after the original Cochran's closed Tony Anagonni and Paul Brienza reopened it. Then Jeff Bay, who runs Hollywood Billiards in LA bought it and renamed it Hollywood Billiards. Then Music Mike, Limo Bob, et al bought it and ran it for awhile. The tables were a mix of originals from Cochran's and a bunch of Rebcos from Palace Billiards when it closed. (One with a bronze plaque commemorating it as the "Nine Ball Paul Memorial Table") The original Cochran's was a smaller joint but when it became Hollywood Billiards they expanded into the adjacent offices including the dentist's. After the a losing battle with the local druggies, a new group bought and tried to run it as a night club. They'd stack the tables on top of each other on the weekends to make room for dancing but the fire dept. considered that a no no because of the humungous weight load on the old flooring. Don't know what's become of it now.

As for Palace Billiards, I found a bunch of photos I took back in the late 70s and 80s. Here's one of Filipino Gene in action in Palace Billiards:
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/attac...1&d=1209896471
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2008, 07:25 PM

Default A little more please !

Demonrho,

Thanks for your knowledgable update. Could I ask you to pick your own brain and come up with some approximate dates when all this took place ?

Thanks much,

Dick
Old 05-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrho

As for Palace Billiards, I found a bunch of photos I took back in the late 70s and 80s. Here's one of Filipino Gene in action in Palace Billiards:
Great photo of the old Palace! I'd forgot about the theatre seats. Is the viewer looking toward Market St.? I didn't realize that Filipino Gene was ever that young...

Doc
Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc
Great photo of the old Palace! I'd forgot about the theatre seats. Is the viewer looking toward Market St.? I didn't realize that Filipino Gene was ever that young...

Doc
...and which one is Filipino Gene?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
...and which one is Filipino Gene?
He is in the middle of the picture, holding the cue.

One day you won't be the Big Dog...You will be the Old Dog
Old 05-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Mc Morran
Demonrho,
... Could I ask you to pick your own brain and come up with some approximate dates when all this took place ?
Dick
Just picked Limo Bob's brain again. Jeff Bay from Hollywood Billiards in LA took over Cochran's from Tony Annagonni and Paul Brienza in around 1995 and renamed it Hollywood Billiards. Music Mike, Limo Bob, et al bought it from Jeff in 2000. Limo Bob jumped ship in 2002. Music Mike et al held on till 2003 then sold it to two Vietnamese guys who tried to run it as a nightclub on the weekends. They brought in a lot of Vietnamese players and tensions developed with the other Asian players. Some running gun battles took place. Finally the fire department closed them down. Don't know after that. I think the original Cochran's had around 16 or so regular 4.5 x 9s. (Not counting the snooker, etc tables) When Jeff expanded it into the dentist's office and such they ended up with about 36 tables. I think Jeff took the snooker table to LA but never put it back together.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc

Doc
Yeah, I think the viewer is facing Market St. The billiard tables were in the back and the cafeteria counter is to the right and the front desk and entranceway is far right. I think some of those great old paintings on the wall ended up with some of the Palace tables at Cochran's when Jeff bought it and renamed it Hollywood Billiards. When he sold Hollywood/Cochran's he then took the original Palace wall paintings to LA.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Verified Member

Good reporting. Did the Palace close in the late 80's? If you have more pictures, how about posting some more? I like just looking at the old room. Did you notice that Ventura's cue is taller than he?

Doc
Old 05-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Verified Member

I ran into Gene in the Philippines a couple of months ago on my last trip over there. I went to the biggest poker room in town and got into a game. I sat down and someone behind me kept saying Jay. I looked around and it was Gene. He was in the game, just taking a smoke break.

He is playing poker every day and making a living at it. He always did play good. I doubt very much if he will return to the states now.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:30 PM

Default Palace Billiards SF

Hi. just discovered this website yesterday. In that foto of Palace Billiards, I think the wall you're looking at was the east wall, toward the foot of Market St. The wall facing Market St. would be to your left.
As I remember it, when you went out the exit door you took a left to go down the stairs to Market.
I have a couple fotos I took in late 1987, from the same vantage point near table 19, showing the same view. I was going to take a whole bunch but managed to get only two fotos before the manager said that some of the guys didnt want to be photographed and so I would have to stop. Next thing I knew the Palace closed.
I'll try to post them here.
demonrho, could you post any other ones you have of the Palace? I'm an artist and am trying to paint some pictures of the Palace if I can get the flavor of the place after all these years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PalaceBilliards1987-b.jpg (129.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg PalaceBilliards1987.jpg (133.9 KB, 111 views)