One pocket pool
One Pocket.org home About onepocket.org Learning the game Hall of fame marketplace a one pocket pool forum
Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Verified Member

Default Freddie Salem passed...RIP

Got word today from my buddy Enzo that Freddie Salem passed away this morning around 3AM.

He took Enzo under his wing when Enzo first started coming around the bowling alley and the pool rooms and was like a father figure to him and a few others.

Freddie was one of the classiest guys around.

I'm too choked up to add more right now, he'll be missed by everybody around here.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelomako
Got word today from my buddy Enzo that Freddie Salem passed away this morning around 3AM.

He took Enzo under his wing when Enzo first started coming around the bowling alley and the pool rooms and was like a father figure to him and a few others.

I'm too choked up to add more right now, he'll be missed by everybody around here.
This comes to a shock to me and I got along great with Freddy Salum He loved Gambling and he played good pool and snooker. And Freddy was a Big gambler not a small time bettor Everyone liked Freddy and respected him And Freddy was easy to get alomg with. And he would help you if you asked him. He was one ove the main action people in the rack. I feel real bad that Freddies Journey had to end. I can only say goog things about Freddy. My deepest sympathy to Freddy and his family. Its always sad when we loose a person we know. Freddy loved action and he was a real man. And everyone liked him. And I liked Freddy too. And I hope he rests in peace.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Verified Member

I know he was a mentor to my buddy Mazin Shooni too. Sounds like a lot of history passed with him. He is in good company... God bless.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:00 AM
Verified Member

Quote:

I never heard anything but good things about Freddy. He's probably looking for Lori now.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Verified Member

I barely knew him but he was a legend all over the country. RIP
Old 09-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Verified Member

Default Partners against Freddy Salem

Here is a Freddy Salem story and something akin to the AB/BI vs JH match. It will also put a little light on Artie's conservatism as Billy's partner. Years ago at the Rack Charles "Country" Monroe and I played a partner game against Freddy Salem. Freddy was playing Country 9 to 7, but he would play me even if I took Country as a partner. The bet was high, $1000 a man. Country and I were a perfect combination. He shot at nothing, made no mistakes, and left me to do the shooting. I could shoot and bank a little back then, fellas. He, like Artie, had no problem taking a passive position in the game, he was content with just stopping the cue ball. We won 8 games in a row. Freddy never had a chance to win a game. Country was a world famous squeezer. The last game we played, Freddy made a super break, and I ran an 8 and out of of it, making no less than 3 trick shots. After it was over, Country kissed me all over my face. I would bet big that I was the only White boy he ever kissed in life. Freddy was incredibly frustrated, especially since him and Country were mortal enemies, but he never made a peep. Perfect gentleman, that he always was.

My life in pool is like traveling on a giant bus filled with wonderful characters, but so many of the good ones have come to their stop and got off. I've only got a few guys left to ride with so I better cherish my time with them. One more down, and only a few left to go. That's probably why I didnt send somebody out to whack that f 'n Artie when we were beefing. Instead I did what I was supposed to do, go back to betting on him!

Beard
Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Verified Member

Default Obituary guest book

Someone sent me the funeral information for Freddy. I did not receive it until after the funeral, but there is a guest book available:

Quote:
Fred Salem
(August 8, 1928 - September 17, 2009)

Guest Book | Sign Guest Book

Fred Salem, age 81, September 17, 2009. Survived by his wife Marilyn, daughter Laurie Willis, grandson Christopher Willis, one brother and several nieces and nephews. Close friend of Joe Hazemy, Hassan Zahady and many others. He will be greatly missed as he was one of a kind.

Visitation Sunday, September 19 from 3-9pm. Funeral Service Monday, September 21 at 10am at the John N. Santeiu and Son Funeral Home, 1139 Inkster Rd (between Ford Rd. and Cherry Hill).

Memorials to the family would be deeply appreciated.
I found the funeral home website with the guest book link here:

http://www.santeiufuneralhome.com/index.cfm
Old 09-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Verified Member

Quote:

I've known Freddie since I was 17 years old (48 years) In a nutshell, Freddie was one of, if not, the classiest guys I have ever known, period. R.I.P. Freddie
Old 09-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona
I've known Freddie since I was 17 years old (48 years) In a nutshell, Freddie was one of, if not, the classiest guys I have ever known, period. R.I.P. Freddie
I can only describe Freddy as a classy man. And one off the greatest gamblers in life. Freddy would bet it all no amount was to much. And I think his real trade mark was he played better for big money then for cheap money. And the more he beat the better he played. And as a human being every one loved Freddy and I enjoyed talking to him. Freddy will always be remembered as a great man and a great human being. He was truly one off a kind. Thier is only one Freddy S and he will stand with the greatest. God bless Freddy and his eternal life.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Verified Member

Default Hi

My condolences to Freddy's family and friends .

I never met Freddy personally , but I do remember hearing he was a tough opponent and all class and what more can you ask for in life to but to be remembered as a class person and a champion player .

R.I.P. Phil