Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2005, 01:07 AM

Default How about the Cookie Monster for the HOF?

Steve Cook could play some one hole.

p.s. new guy here, and looking forward to reading about my favorite pool game.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:40 AM
Administrator

I think Steve Cook is a great candidate who belongs in the One Pocket Hall of Fame. He is one of only two players to win both a Jansco event and one of Grady Mathews' Legends of One Pocket events (another deserving candidate, Eddie Kelly is the only other player to have done that) -- that demonstrates excellence over a long time.

I hope to have a feature on Steve here on OnePocket.org soon. Anyone who can help with stories, photos or info, please Contact Us
Old 03-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Verified Member

Default Steve played very well.

I remember Steve Cook from Johnston City. He was the "Man To Beat" in Johnston City for at least 2 years. Had a good backer & won many Hi$ sets. I played him in Lima, OH once (as a salesman) and won but I got Hughhhh weight on a bar box. I forget the spot but it included the break and that alone was insurmountable for anyone at that time. Steve was a gentleman to play at all times and never said a word while playing. Almost introverted. As I remember, he was fond of the bottle and didn't play very well for quite some time. Is he still in Tampa? Does he still play?

TY & GL
Old 03-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Verified Member

Steve passed away a year or two ago. He belongs in the HOF and that has already been talked about at length.
By the way, Steve played great 14.1 and 9 Ball, although his break was weak.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cal
Default Cookie Monster for HOF

He certainly would have my vote. I had the pleasure of watching him play many times , He was a true "Player" of the game . The way he moved was something to watch in amazement& above all he was a "Gentleman"
Old 03-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Verified Member

Yes. Steve could play, God rest his soul.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Verified Member

Default Could Cook play 1 pocket?

Steve Cook is on a very short list of who I think knew the real concepts of 1 Pocket. Ronnie, Jersey Red, Bugs, Artie, Jimmy Fusco, Kelly, Marcel Camp, Gene Skinner, Corn Bread, and a few others. I am not going to name everybody because it would be too embarassing for the "great" 1 pocket players that I would leave out. There are many players who can beat almost anybody but dont have a clue as to how to play the game. They are great players in spite of what they dont know. Steve Cook was not one of those. He really knew the game. If you can find any accu-stat tapes with him playing, study his style if you want to learn the game. Note especially the way he tortured opponents when he had a lead. A bad drinking habit kept him from flourishing and realizing his real potential. Hall of Fame material? Gawddamn right!
Freddy the Beard Bentivegna
Old 03-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Verified Member

I'm gonna go ahead and follow The Beard's advice, and study Steve Cook's games. I'm also curious about "second tier" players that, even though they'll likely not make Steve's HOF, may have had the deep one pocket knowledge that Fred's talking about... What do you guys think about players such as J.R. Gay, Richie Richeson, Strawberry Brooks, Pete Fusco, Dave Bollman? Any other names that come to mind? Not to put you on the spot, Freddy! My bad...
Old 03-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Verified Member

Default Cleo Vaughn

Freddy The Beard, told me that he never had the pleasure of watching, Mobile, AL legend, Cleo Vaughn, Play. I believe if he had he would have put him on his list on players who knew the real concepts of one pocket. Many top one pocket players came through, Mobile and left with a walking stick. Grady has said that he offered to play, Cleo, on a neutral table and site but did not play him in, Mobile. I'm sure, Grady, can tell you how well, Cleo Vaughn, played our favorite game. He was a pleasure to watch. It is a shame, Cleo, didn't like to travel or the world would have known how well this man played.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:00 AM
Verified Member

Please let me add one more thing: freddy "the breard" is by far, my favorite one pocket commentator on accustats videos/dvd's. So if you can find Steve Cook playing with Freddy commentating, you really have something. Freddy not only knows one pocket & its strategies, he is willing to share his knowledge on tape-along with very entertaining stories. Thanks Freddy, for many hours of education & entertainment.

Dave