One-Eyed Henry (Patch Eye)?

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
Does anyone know anything about an old black player called "One-Eyed Henry", aka "Patch Eye", in the Philadelphia area?

He only has one eye, hence his nickname, and his real name is Henry Busheer (not sure of spelling). He must be in his 70s now and looks quite frail, but he still plays jam-up one pocket. From what I hear, as a young man he could run 250 balls in straight pool and played one pocket not too far under the all-time greats in the northeast like Jimmy Fusco, Allen Hopkins, Strawberry, Johnny Ervolino, etc. He still plays at Tacony Palmyra Billiards on a regular basis. As far as I know he never played in tournaments and just hustled all his life. Most players in the area regard him as a legend.

Do any of the older players (like Grady for example) know anything about him and how he used to play?

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Henry has indeed been a very fine player for a long time. He hasn't had the easiest of lives but has been a gentleman. I played him a few times and gave him a couple of balls but in all honesty, when I did that, the world had a ball. It's been a pleasure having him as my friend all these years.

Mike

Verified Member
Talked to him today, 3/22, at Tacony Billiards in Philly. Still has a good game and is playing actively most days.

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
He did play "Jam-Up"

He did play "Jam-Up"

I had the pleasure to play "Patch-Eye" at Fusco's upstairs poolroom in Philly way back when. How we came out is irrelevant but I'll bet he can remember the match between Joe Fury & myself. He was also a good friend of Gordon Guy who was from D.C. and lived his last years here in St. Louis.

TY & GL

sharkem

From
St.Louis
patch-eye

patch-eye

I played the mighty patch-eye some "even" one-hole at Ride The Rail Billiards in St.Louis a few years ago. We played for hours and I played my BEST pool. My "best" wasnt good enough...lol. He was truly a gentleman and gladly shook my hand as he was taking my cash...hahaha.

Mark - St.Louis