Scott's final break against Alex

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Tournament in CA on Friday. Scott and Alex have a good battle the 1st game, which Alex wins. The 2nd game Alex kept on putting him in the pack, even if it meant giving up a foul. The last time he took a intentional to put him in the pack, Scott decided to push a ball to his hole, but ended up selling out. Alex ran 11 and out on him since he was -3 ball from the intentionals.

So now it's 2-0, race to 3 and Scott has to beat him twice. Scott has the break, and it he doesn't win this game, it's all over. Pretty important break for him.

But Scott hits the 2nd ball full (it appears that he even missed the 1st ball entirely) and sells out balls to Alex's hole. Some were pushed to Scott's hole and he almost made one. Alex ran 8 and out to win the tourney. Alex ran a 11 and out and a 8 and out to win.

We all know Scott is a master cuesman who can hit a ball with uncanny precision. So what do you think happened in this all important game?

1. He simply missed due to not concentrating on the hit

2. He missed and was fully concentrating

3. He was trying a slightly unorthodox break that he still thought was safe

Just curious what others think. Do the champions sometimes take the break for granted, as they have shot the shot so many times?

scott.jpg

scott3.jpg

MGM Tony

Perhaps Scott was trying to make a ball on the break in the hope of running a few and getting Alex into a bad spot very quickly. I've been trying to figure out how to make balls on the break and the only way that I have done it was by making solid contact with the second ball and a little bit of inside english. It pushes the corner ball in the stack right towards your pocket. Maybe he was trying to do that and just barely clip the one and missed by a hair.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Scrzbill said:
Lenny was too loud commentating and distracted his running mate, Scott.

For someone that has been accused of having a bromance with Scott:), perhaps the flames have died, or else Lenny is just a fair commentator, because he doesn't show bias to Scott. Which is great. I don't mind someone pulling for someone, but it gets unbearable if they say every shot they shoot is great, and every bad roll they get it's so unfair. I've heard that on a few other streams before.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I miss the first ball once in a while due to carelessness, since it is such a common shot requiring no planning. I decided a long time ago how I would shoot it. Also, (and I'm hoping for some comments here) I find that using pretty extreme english while hitting a shot without much force, is a tricky business. You can create some deflection you were not expecting, missing the front ball in this way. And it takes more than a little inside english to keep the CB close to the long rail. I don't intend to hit much of that front ball, anyway.

This brings me to another topic. Watching the Filipinos, especially Efren and Santos, I am always amazed that they can use so much english, apparently not worrying about deflection of the shot. Trying to do the same, I have found that there is much less deflection than I had thought. Almost none, really. I may have spent too much time watching Dr. Dave's videos. I'm still not a good shotmaker, but I can get farther off the CB centerline without much of a problem. Anybody else?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
IMHO, you have the best chance of making the corner ball by nearly simultaneously hitting the head ball and second ball -- actually, the very best chance is when you do hit them simultaneously. Yet, that obviously risks just ever so slightly miss-hitting the shot and striking the second ball first, which looks like exactly what happened to Scott. In other words, the nearer to simultaneously hit the head ball and second ball, the greater your chances of making a ball on the break, yet the greater the chances of missing your hit & selling out -- classic risk/reward. You heard it here, on OnePocket.org :D

beatle

Verified Member
scott shoots fast and usually just one strokes it. so he makes mistakes every so often that are costly.

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
CaliRed said:
For someone that has been accused of having a bromance with Scott:), perhaps the flames have died, or else Lenny is just a fair commentator, because he doesn't show bias to Scott. Which is great. I don't mind someone pulling for someone, but it gets unbearable if they say every shot they shoot is great, and every bad roll they get it's so unfair. I've heard that on a few other streams before.
It was very noticeable,perhaps because he was promoting his products with Scott being the principle. Shots made by Alex weren't acknowledged for what they were"GREAT" Not down playing Scott,s ability. The day the moment belong to Alex who outplayed Scott in every aspect of the game.Congratulations Alex on a awesome display of 1p,both offensively & defensively .

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
From the looks of the definite gap between the two balls in the end row on the right and the possible gap between the two on the left, it was a loose rack. Whether he racked them this way on purpose and it backfired or it was just a sloppy rack is up for speculation. Add to this the miss on the head ball and anything can happen. Also, I know from seeing a vid of Scott that he advocates aiming at a ball in the pack to acheive the perfect hit on the second ball "thinning" the head ball. With a loose rack his aiming ball could have been misleading.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
petie said:
From the looks of the definite gap between the two balls in the end row on the right and the possible gap between the two on the left, it was a loose rack. Whether he racked them this way on purpose and it backfired or it was just a sloppy rack is up for speculation. Add to this the miss on the head ball and anything can happen. Also, I know from seeing a vid of Scott that he advocates aiming at a ball in the pack to acheive the perfect hit on the second ball "thinning" the head ball. With a loose rack his aiming ball could have been misleading.

If you watchet the match you would have seen Scotts whole attitude changed after loosing the firset game.

Scott nows he should have won the first gme. But didnt get it done. He made a real bad mistake.

For Alex too win that game. And Alex gave Scott a big chance missing with cue ball in hand.

BUt Scott didnt baire down. And he made a big mistake and that was the ball game.

But Scott didnt look like he was prepaiered Mentaly for the match. And Alex played real good after Scott made the bad mistake the first game.

And it was all Alex from then on. And he was a happy little sucker.

Islandeddie

Verified Member
Balls on break

Balls on break

MGM Tony said:
I've been trying to figure out how to make balls on the break

On my table, if I shoot low left, clipping the head ball. I have a a chance to make a ball. Reminds me of a hooking bowling ball into the 1 pin pocket.

By the by, I made two,on the break last week. They went in like a cho-cho train, one after the other. Never seen that before.

Brad

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Islandeddie said:
MGM Tony said:
I've been trying to figure out how to make balls on the break

On my table, if I shoot low left, clipping the head ball. I have a a chance to make a ball. Reminds me of a hooking bowling ball into the 1 pin pocket.

By the by, I made two,on the break last week. They went in like a cho-cho train, one after the other. Never seen that before.

Brad

I told Ricky Bird for 100 thousand I will tell him howe too make a ball on the breack.

Because he didnt like me makeing a ball on the breack. I told him too get a nutrale racker and lets play.

People always looking for something when things dont go thier way.

Its all nothing but nonsense. But I guess it makes them feel good.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Book chapter

Book chapter

What I'm going to do is add this break to my book, HOW TO TAKE A WINNING POSITION AND LOSE IN ONE POCKET. I have several shots that will be included from this tournament.

bernie p

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
Tournament in CA on Friday. Scott and Alex have a good battle the 1st game, which Alex wins. The 2nd game Alex kept on putting him in the pack, even if it meant giving up a foul. The last time he took a intentional to put him in the pack, Scott decided to push a ball to his hole, but ended up selling out. Alex ran 11 and out on him since he was -3 ball from the intentionals.

So now it's 2-0, race to 3 and Scott has to beat him twice. Scott has the break, and it he doesn't win this game, it's all over. Pretty important break for him.

But Scott hits the 2nd ball full (it appears that he even missed the 1st ball entirely) and sells out balls to Alex's hole. Some were pushed to Scott's hole and he almost made one. Alex ran 8 and out to win the tourney. Alex ran a 11 and out and a 8 and out to win.

We all know Scott is a master cuesman who can hit a ball with uncanny precision. So what do you think happened in this all important game?

Just curious what others think. Do the champions sometimes take the break for granted, as they have shot the shot so many times?
CaliRed said:
It had been a long day for Scott playing several matches on the one loss side and also squeezing in some 10 ball games.

Alex was fresh. I think it was just simply a matter of fatigue. Quite often, just that 1 or 2% factor is the difference, even for world champions.

Bernie.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
bernie p said:
It had been a long day for Scott playing several matches on the one loss side and also squeezing in some 10 ball games.

Alex was fresh. I think it was just simply a matter of fatigue. Quite often, just that 1 or 2% factor is the difference, even for world champions.

Bernie.

My observation of Scott, Bernie, has been that he much prefers giving up hugh weight, to lesser player's. (I can name a bunch, including me and Ronn.;))

Don't get me wrong, he is capable of beating anyone,at any time...but he seems to let a few bad shots, or rolls, weigh on his attitude much more when he is up against "real" competition. (JMHO)

He should have won the first game, and he knew it...Then when Alex put 11 and out on him in game 2, it was tough for ANYONE to overcome in a short race.

PS..Case in point, have you EVER seen him miss the head ball on the break, since hes been in Phx ?

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
bernie p said:
CaliRed said:

CaliRed said:

Bernie.
I have to agree with you to an extent, I believe that Scott was fatigued and would of given a better effort had the first game played out differently. After losing the first game the way he did, shooting carelessly he lost a little something and that something was patience. That's usually a sign of fatigue when you lose your patience, and that's exactly what happened when he tried to force a move that wasn't there. After that game it wasn't a shock to me that he missed hit the break, he had lost his desire after game # 1.

There's a lot more than 2% or even 5% loss of your best game when you lose your desire, and when two champions play you better have desire or you have 0 chance of winning.

I still think Scott is the best player in the world today when he plays his game, and circumstances quite often dictates. But I also believe that Alex is very close to Scott, and certainly can and should win when the circumstances favor him.

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CaliRed said:

4. He was betting on Alex.

5. He, much like Tiger Woods, cannot play good on the last day of a major tournament when he starts out from behind. He is a frontrunner.

6. He, like most top players, has a million-dollar arm & a 5 cent head.

7. He can only win if he feels like it, is playing well and doesn't lose the first game, unlike true champions.

Greg,

I would vote for #4, #5 , #6 and #7.

Dennis

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
wincardona said:
bernie p said:

I have to agree with you to an extent, I believe that Scott was fatigued and would of given a better effort had the first game played out differently. After losing the first game the way he did, shooting carelessly he lost a little something and that something was patience. That's usually a sign of fatigue when you lose your patience, and that's exactly what happened when he tried to force a move that wasn't there. After that game it wasn't a shock to me that he missed hit the break, he had lost his desire after game # 1.

There's a lot more than 2% or even 5% loss of your best game when you lose your desire, and when two champions play you better have desire or you have 0 chance of winning.

I still think Scott is the best player in the world today when he plays his game, and circumstances quite often dictates. But I also believe that Alex is very close to Scott, and certainly can and should win when the circumstances favor him.

Billy I.

It seems like when you lose that 'desire' ( I do it when I get tired and bored and I'm ready to go home) you have written a script for yourself that says you are going to lose or are willing to accept a loss and you go about making that happen. Maybe this is what we call 'going off.'

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
bernie p said:

You, Dick and Bernie made some good points. And you each know Scott way better than do I. But there's something about the mental aspect of Scott's game that I can't quite put my finger on.

Scott is the best 1P player in the world right now, and has been for several years. But it seems to me that he doesn't always have the same intense desire to win as do guys like Efren, Daulton, Brumback, etc. Efren dislikes losing so much that you can feel the heat coming off of him, and his face turns into a storm cloud if he loses a game. He takes that extreme distaste for losing and channels it into his play.

Scott too can be very intense. But sometimes it's as though he takes the situation or the opponent too lightly. It's almost as if he subconsciously assumes that he's supposed to win, and so he's very shocked when it's going badly for him. If that's true, perhaps it's because of what Dick said about Scott playing lesser players all the time.

And as Bernie and Billy said, if a player is mentally off just a little while playing the top players, it's going to be very difficult for that player to win.

Doc