1Pocket Tournament Tip Sheet

lfigueroa

Verified Member
OK, so I'm playing around with this new computer (a 27" iMac), making the transition from years of using a PC and learning how to use it and I'm migrating files from the PC and I came across something I forgot I had and thought some of you would get a chuckle out of.

Back when I first moved to St. Louis, some 20 years ago, there were actually a half dozen viable pool halls and dozens of players around town. I could walk into almost any room in the city and find someone with whom I had an established game for anywhere between $10 and $300. There was always something going on, to include a few 1pocket tournaments each year.

For one of these events -- a handicapped 1pocket tournament and calcutta -- the proprietors decide that they would put out a tout sheet on the back of the flyers they sent out to all the pool rooms advertising the event. Like I said, there were plenty of guys playing, some of them pretty sporty players, and everybody knew everybody, so it really generated a lot of interest.

To protect the innocent, i've deleted the names, but even now, years later, it still cracks me up.

#####

XXXXX* Perfect format for a comeback...can run out and still call you a 
maggot

XXXXX* Offensive machine in high gear for this format, you've heard of 8 and 
out.. how about 15 and out

XXXXX* Capable of a flashback...will love the format

XXXXX* Can get em in large bunches... take a seat when your flyer misses

XXXXX* Will get out of your break and make it look like his... still scary, 
could snap it off

XXXXX* 2-1 favorite...* will shoot flyers...* a crowd favorite, backer's 
nightmare

XXXXX* Still claims to know nothing about 1pocket..* usually after an 8 and 
out

XXXXX* Awesome offense... defense the question

XXXXX* Dangerous... exceptional banker...* Flyers? You bet

XXXXX* Grinder king...will wait you out... on a good day can win it all

XXXXX* On the loose again...the voices keep telling him to "fire away"

XXXXX* FLYER KING...* will turn it loose..* defense not a concern

XXXXX* Not known for 1pocket... but do you really want to play him?

XXXXX* Will play anywhere, anytime... could finish top four

XXXXX* Veteran has one small problem...* going blind... could still win a 
match or two though

XXXXX* Matches never last long... wonder why?

XXXXX* Has had some recent successes... event will tell... sleeper

XXXXX* Word is out... straight shooter learning the moves... watch calcutta

XXXXX* Has a better chance of putting socks on a octopus... hope he shows 
though

XXXXX* Old warhorse still plugging away..* could surprise

XXXXX* Patient style could earn spot in finals... will wait for mistake

XXXXX* Not a chance... also ran

XXXXX* Tip off:* if he buys self in calcutta... if not, stay away

XXXXX* Word is out...he's ready for a tournament... just not this one

XXXXX* Cannot trap him anymore... will shoot at his hole, then laugh at you

XXXXX* Still claims to know nothing about 1pocket, usually after an 8 and 
out

XXXXX* A puzzling sort... could win it, or go 2 and out... calcutta risk at 
best

XXXXX* This is your basic first round nightmare...* if he feels like playing 
that day

XXXXX* Twice a year player can get it on...could have a high 
finish...sleeper special

XXXXX* Do not let school boy looks fool you...can crush you like a grape

XXXXX* Can play 1pocket... no ones seem him lately...* may have been practicing on remote island just for this event

XXXXX* Flashback possible for a high finish...not a good first round match
 for you

XXXXX* Would rate higher in a 9ball event... do not underestimate...long
 shot!!

XXXXX* Former state 9ball champ...not without a chance...like no chance

XXXXX* If he surfaces has chance... could someone please tell about this 
event?

XXXXX* Just point him at his hole and away we go... "flyers?" you ask...* ha
ha ha* Think so

XXXXX* Playing good... may or may not smash his pool cue this weekend...
sleeper

XXXXX* A must for all tournaments... but can't be taken seriously anymore...
done

XXXXX* Only knows one way to play: fire at the hole, pronto...* buy at your own risk

XXXXX* Been through all the 1pocket wars... handicap gives him a chance

XXXXX* Should probably be rated lower... thinks he has a chance... we told 
him we were using bar tables

XXXXX* I seen him first... NOT a sleeper... just asleep... and I still seen
 him first

#####

These are all especially funny if you knew the characters associated with the
 lines.

But even not, I'm sure you all have guys in your neighborhoods for whom one of these descriptions is tailor made.

Lou Figueroa

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'm wondering if this was long enough ago that Blackie Lesieur (sp?) was one of the old-timers mentioned. Also, When did Louie Roberts die? And another that I know was living at that time was probably Tom Ferry. Are any of those on the list Lou?

One Pocket John

Verified Member
Nice post post Lou.

I have been away from pool for about 10 years. I use to play you once in a while at cue & cushion.

I saw the 14.1 qualifier in chi town. Good effort.

I read your list and it is pretty good. By my adding the names to the comments it is pretty accurate.

Names that come to mind are:
Louie Roberts
Tom Ferry
Whitey Walker (Mr. 8 and out)
Dorman
Terry (old Terry)
Big Ed
Big Jake
Little Jake
Dean Higgs
Danny (from IL.)
Billy (The Iranian)
Bill Crowe
Gary Spears (spelling)
Waffle House AL

Thats all I can think of right now.

I got to play Whitey in a one pocket tourney at C&C, needless to say Whitey went 8 and out. I think he does that because he doesn't move very well. :)

Hope to see you again one of these days at C&C.

Later

John

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
lfigueroa said:
OK, so I'm playing around with this new computer (a 27" iMac), making the transition from years of using a PC and learning how to use it and I'm migrating files from the PC and I came across something I forgot I had and thought some of you would get a chuckle out of.

Back when I first moved to St. Louis, some 20 years ago, there were actually a half dozen viable pool halls and dozens of players around town. I could walk into almost any room in the city and find someone with whom I had an established game for anywhere between $10 and $300. There was always something going on, to include a few 1pocket tournaments each year.

For one of these events -- a handicapped 1pocket tournament and calcutta -- the proprietors decide that they would put out a tout sheet on the back of the flyers they sent out to all the pool rooms advertising the event. Like I said, there were plenty of guys playing, some of them pretty sporty players, and everybody knew everybody, so it really generated a lot of interest.

To protect the innocent, i've deleted the names, but even now, years later, it still cracks me up.

#####

XXXXX* Perfect format for a comeback...can run out and still call you a 
maggot

XXXXX* Offensive machine in high gear for this format, you've heard of 8 and 
out.. how about 15 and out

XXXXX* Capable of a flashback...will love the format

XXXXX* Can get em in large bunches... take a seat when your flyer misses

XXXXX* Will get out of your break and make it look like his... still scary, 
could snap it off

XXXXX* 2-1 favorite...* will shoot flyers...* a crowd favorite, backer's 
nightmare

XXXXX* Still claims to know nothing about 1pocket..* usually after an 8 and 
out

XXXXX* Awesome offense... defense the question

XXXXX* Dangerous... exceptional banker...* Flyers? You bet

XXXXX* Grinder king...will wait you out... on a good day can win it all

XXXXX* On the loose again...the voices keep telling him to "fire away"

XXXXX* FLYER KING...* will turn it loose..* defense not a concern

XXXXX* Not known for 1pocket... but do you really want to play him?

XXXXX* Will play anywhere, anytime... could finish top four

XXXXX* Veteran has one small problem...* going blind... could still win a 
match or two though

XXXXX* Matches never last long... wonder why?

XXXXX* Has had some recent successes... event will tell... sleeper

XXXXX* Word is out... straight shooter learning the moves... watch calcutta

XXXXX* Has a better chance of putting socks on a octopus... hope he shows 
though

XXXXX* Old warhorse still plugging away..* could surprise

XXXXX* Patient style could earn spot in finals... will wait for mistake

XXXXX* Not a chance... also ran

XXXXX* Tip off:* if he buys self in calcutta... if not, stay away

XXXXX* Word is out...he's ready for a tournament... just not this one

XXXXX* Cannot trap him anymore... will shoot at his hole, then laugh at you

XXXXX* Still claims to know nothing about 1pocket, usually after an 8 and 
out

XXXXX* A puzzling sort... could win it, or go 2 and out... calcutta risk at 
best

XXXXX* This is your basic first round nightmare...* if he feels like playing 
that day

XXXXX* Twice a year player can get it on...could have a high 
finish...sleeper special

XXXXX* Do not let school boy looks fool you...can crush you like a grape

XXXXX* Can play 1pocket... no ones seem him lately...* may have been practicing on remote island just for this event

XXXXX* Flashback possible for a high finish...not a good first round match
 for you

XXXXX* Would rate higher in a 9ball event... do not underestimate...long
 shot!!

XXXXX* Former state 9ball champ...not without a chance...like no chance

XXXXX* If he surfaces has chance... could someone please tell about this 
event?

XXXXX* Just point him at his hole and away we go... "flyers?" you ask...* ha
ha ha* Think so

XXXXX* Playing good... may or may not smash his pool cue this weekend...
sleeper

XXXXX* A must for all tournaments... but can't be taken seriously anymore...
done

XXXXX* Only knows one way to play: fire at the hole, pronto...* buy at your own risk

XXXXX* Been through all the 1pocket wars... handicap gives him a chance

XXXXX* Should probably be rated lower... thinks he has a chance... we told 
him we were using bar tables

XXXXX* I seen him first... NOT a sleeper... just asleep... and I still seen
 him first

#####

These are all especially funny if you knew the characters associated with the
 lines.

But even not, I'm sure you all have guys in your neighborhoods for whom one of these descriptions is tailor made.

Lou Figueroa
lou,
i think the statute of limitations has expired:D :eek: :rolleyes:
its ok to reveal the names:)
might help to generate some good stories
just sayin

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Scrzbill said:
Pretty funny Lou. At least you could tell us which one was you. I would be the last guy. Asleep.

"Word is out... straight shooter learning the moves... watch calcutta

"

This was April 1996. I had just started playing pool again after a 10 year layoff. *No one* in St. Louis would play anything but 1pocket. I was from California and knew how to play 14.1 8ball, 9ball, and a little 3C -- could not spell 1pocket (somewhat obviously, I still can't :) So I got tortured by every living soul in town for several years, took my lumps, watched the Accu-Stats tapes, learned the right moves, and kept learning until a guy that started out giving me 10-7 in '95 wouldn't play when I woofed at him and offered 11-7 three years later :)

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
I'm wondering if this was long enough ago that Blackie Lesieur (sp?) was one of the old-timers mentioned. Also, When did Louie Roberts die? And another that I know was living at that time was probably Tom Ferry. Are any of those on the list Lou?

Blackie and Louie were gone by then. So was another St. Louis legend, whose name escapes me at the moment. It'll come to me... Tom was around at the time.

Lou Figueroa

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Gordon

Gordon

lfigueroa said:
Blackie and Louie were gone by then. So was another St. Louis legend, whose name escapes me at the moment. It'll come to me... Tom was around at the time.

Lou Figueroa

...forgot the last name.

Beard

lfigueroa

Verified Member
One Pocket John said:
Nice post post Lou.

I have been away from pool for about 10 years. I use to play you once in a while at cue & cushion.

I saw the 14.1 qualifier in chi town. Good effort.

I read your list and it is pretty good. By my adding the names to the comments it is pretty accurate.

Names that come to mind are:
Louie Roberts
Tom Ferry
Whitey Walker (Mr. 8 and out)
Dorman
Terry (old Terry)
Big Ed
Big Jake
Little Jake
Dean Higgs
Danny (from IL.)
Billy (The Iranian)
Bill Crowe
Gary Spears (spelling)
Waffle House AL

Thats all I can think of right now.

I got to play Whitey in a one pocket tourney at C&C, needless to say Whitey went 8 and out. I think he does that because he doesn't move very well. :)

Hope to see you again one of these days at C&C.

Later

John

Pretty good guesses. Misses were Waffle House Al, Big Jake, and Billy the Iranian -- who was one of the greatest pool room characters I've ever met. I might have to write something up on him one day. I miss him. Also missing were Chicken Man, Picture Man, and Taco John.

As to a certain pool room -- you'll never see there. Several years ago I asked on one of the pool forums what would make balls slow dow down coming off a rail (because that's what all the tables were doing there, the rails were set a bit low). Chris sees that and goes running to Shirley and says I'm trashing them on line and says, "either I go or he goes," (he is such a little girl) puts on his jacket and walks out from behind the desk and leaves the pool hall. Guess who Shirley, who hates confrontation, picked?

I used to keep a set of balls there and there were several black and white pictures of me playing in the US 1pocket Open on the wall there by the 1Pocket table in the corner. A week after this happen I come home from vacation and there's a package by my front door with the balls and pictures in it and a note from Shirley apologizing about Chris but wanting to avoid bloodshed in the family.

I still run into several regulars from there and they all say the same thing: "You were right about the tables and the've gotten even worse." I also hear all the horror stories about how the tables play, the lousy shimming, how dirty it is, how there's no action -- with Big Ed and Jeremy and Bill still passing the same $100 bill back and forth between themselves every night. I also hear all the stories about how, at every opportunity, at least one of them still tries to trash me. But I'm OK with it all.

Soooo, if you want to run into me or play some 1pocket you can find me at The Break.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
lll said:
lou,
i think the statute of limitations has expired:D :eek: :rolleyes:
its ok to reveal the names:)
might help to generate some good stories
just sayin

Unless you're from St. Louis, you wouldn't recognize many of the names. If you're from the Midwest, most will ring a bell.

Here are the names, in no particular order:

Gary Sills, Little Ricky, Watchez, Martin Schulte, Jimmy Martin, Cecil Tugwell, Critter, Joe Wollford, Whitey Walker, Andy Quinn, Bill Crowel, Jerry Terbrock, Terry Hulseman, Gary Lutman, Kevin Gabriel, Jimmy Gorman, Rich Sager, John Cramer, Danny Hill, Mark O'Brian, Little Jake Embry, Ron Lincoln, Butch Penn, Tom Old Has Been Ferry, Kirkwood Mike Vergere, John Snyder, Dean Deforest, Bob Jeanis, Ed Libby, Rich Foller, Danny Spradilini Spadling, Little Pat McMillan, Brian Blyzer, Ben Cadena, Dwayne Henniger, Larry Labarbera, Sammy Dyers, Lou Figueroa, Jerry Ray, BJ Sievers, Cliff Calvert, Big Ed, Dorman, Ron Omachi, Jeremy Darden, and Harold Johnson.

1pocket in St. Louis used to be *strong.*

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
...forgot the last name.

Beard

I saw his picture once. I want to say he had dark hair, wore glasses, was kind of heavy-set, and might have worn a pool apron. I just can't remeber his name.

Lou Figueroa

Jimmy B

Verified Member
lfigueroa said:
Pretty good guesses. Misses were Waffle House Al, Big Jake, and Billy the Iranian -- who was one of the greatest pool room characters I've ever met. I might have to write something up on him one day. I miss him. Also missing were Chicken Man, Picture Man, and Taco John.

As to a certain pool room -- you'll never see there. Several years ago I asked on one of the pool forums what would make balls slow dow down coming off a rail (because that's what all the tables were doing there, the rails were set a bit low). Chris sees that and goes running to Shirley and says I'm trashing them on line and says, "either I go or he goes," (he is such a little girl) puts on his jacket and walks out from behind the desk and leaves the pool hall. Guess who Shirley, who hates confrontation, picked?

I used to keep a set of balls there and there were several black and white pictures of me playing in the US 1pocket Open on the wall there by the 1Pocket table in the corner. A week after this happen I come home from vacation and there's a package by my front door with the balls and pictures in it and a note from Shirley apologizing but wanting to avoid bloodshed in the family.

I still run into several regulars from there and they all say the same thing: "You were right about the tables and the've gotten even worse." I also hear all the horror stories about how the tables play, the lousy shimming, how dirty it is, how theres no action -- with Big Ed and Jeremy and Bill still passing the same $100 bill back and forth between themselves every night. I also hear all the stories about how, at every opportunity, at least one of them still tries to trash me. But I'm OK with it all.

Soooo, if you want to run into me or play some 1pocket you can find me at The Break.

Lou Figueroa

That's about the nittiest thing I ever heard of. They certainly don't deserve your business. Should have sent somebody like David Sizemore in there. If a table didn't roll right, he would start spitting on the table. I saw him do it, playing some $100 nine ball. I didn't see it but Buddy Hall said he saw David miss a shot and bite the ferrule off his cue. A guy I know got dissed by a bar one time. He let a week go by then entered the place through a fan he kicked out after closing. He starts out by prizing open the pinball machines etc. which they had failed to empty and empties the loot onto a pool table. Then he gets all their cigarettes, some firearms, booze and a few item, and has it all on their pool table. Then he cuts the pool table cover off and just uses it as a big bag to pick up all the goods and unlocks the door and walks out like Santa Clause with that pool table cover bag thing over his shoulder.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Jimmy B said:
That's about the nittiest thing I ever heard of. They certainly don't deserve your business. Should have sent somebody like David Sizemore in there. If a table didn't roll right, he would start spitting on the table. I saw him do it, playing some $100 nine ball. I didn't see it but Buddy Hall said he saw David miss a shot and bite the ferrule off his cue. A guy I know got dissed by a bar one time. He let a week go by then entered the place through a fan he kicked out after closing. He starts out by prizing open the pinball machines etc. which they had failed to empty and empties the loot onto a pool table. Then he gets all their cigarettes, some firearms, booze and a few item, and has it all on their pool table. Then he cuts the pool table cover off and just uses it as a big bag to pick up all the goods and unlocks the door and walks out like Santa Clause with that pool table cover bag thing over his shoulder.

lol, oh yeah. I know a lot of guys too that would have not exited "gracefully."

Funny thing was, as I recall, I didn't even mention the pool room by name. I just wanted to find out what was causing it and some guys said it was the rail height -- the balls were being momentarily trapped underneath the rails.

I played there for many years, particularly because Bob, the owner, treated me and most of the players very well on some high end cue purchases. Bob was great -- he was a player himself, so he always wanted things to be "right." Then he passed and the rest of the family -- none of whom play -- ran things. I kept on playing there out of loyalty, but Chris apparently had a hard-on for me, that to this day he can't seem to get over. Just recently I had a guy come over to me at another room and tell me a story Chris had told him about me, which was total BS. The guy said, "They keep telling stories about a guy the kicked out, but I've watched you practice and in action and you are the quietest, most polite player I've ever seen. In 100 years, you are the last guy I would have thought they were talking about." Funny thing is, over the years I've sent a ton of business their way, for cues and tables, but I'm tired of the stories I keep hearing, so not anymore.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited: